Photo
- - - - -

How To Tell If Wheel Bearings Are Going Out...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Beav626

Beav626

Enthusiast

• 224 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

last couple of days I've been hearing a slight scraping sound coming from my front driver wheel. (01 Sierra 2wd with 22" Wheels)

my brakes seem to be OK-I jacked up the front and spun the wheel by hand and could not hear anything. It is only every once in a while.

What could this be? Is it the bearing?

Both front wheels spin freely with no binds in the at all.

#2 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

Typically a wheel hub/bearing will have slack in ti when you jack it up. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and see if there is any excessive play in the bearing. Hard to know exactly what might be the noise from your short description.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#3 hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,641 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:10 PM

Weird. I just noticed this as I pulled up tonight. But I had the truck jacked up for a wheel rotation 2 days ago and everything was in good shape as far as bearings.

#4 Beav626

Beav626

Enthusiast

• 224 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

Typically a wheel hub/bearing will have slack in ti when you jack it up. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and see if there is any excessive play in the bearing. Hard to know exactly what might be the noise from your short description.

I did not notice ant slack in the wheel when I jacked it up.
The sound is like a rotor scraping on a steel pad. Not constant but for a minute as I am reaching a destination. When I turn hard left or right it goes away.

I checked both front breaks and they look good.

#5 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

I did not notice ant slack in the wheel when I jacked it up.
The sound is like a rotor scraping on a steel pad. Not constant but for a minute as I am reaching a destination. When I turn hard left or right it goes away.

I checked both front breaks and they look good.

That doesn't sound like what I have heard when a bearing goes... I guess anything is possible.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#6 Beav626

Beav626

Enthusiast

• 224 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

Bump for the Monday crowd

#7 JDH_VA

JDH_VA

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:19 AM

When I turn hard left or right it goes away.

I suggest driving in a zig-zag pattern.

Problem solved. NEXT!

:lol:

#8 seadoons

seadoons

Enthusiast

• 860 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

The fact that you say the noise goes away while turning makes me believe it is a wheel bearing. You jacked up the truck and grabbed each tire and they don't move around??
Posted Image

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71 LS 5.3L - Forrest Green

Factory Installed Options: Autotrac, limited slip diff., painted fender flares, trailer towing package

Aftermarket Additions: BFG 285/75/16 All-Terrains, 16x8 Chrome American Racing Python Wheels, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Westin nerf bars, manik brush guard, KC lights on the guard, spray in bedliner, Delta chest-style tool box, 2 10" Xtant subs in a thunderform box, 20% tint for the front windows.

#9 Burnthefurniture

Burnthefurniture

Enthusiast

• 237 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

The worn out wheel bearing that I just replaced on mine had little noticeable play, I almost passed it off as just turning the rack and pinion by trying to move the tire, but there was a high pitch sporadic squeaking noise that got worse and worse. At first I thought it was brake pads too...

sig1.jpg
2006 Silverado Crewcab 5.3 Liter, Corsa DB Catback, EFI Live Tune, Ranchhand(s), Daystars, 265's and Yukon 4.11's

Current Company Fleet of my Extended Chevy Family: (Awaiting Delivery) 2015 Silverado 3500HD SRW CC/LB Duramax/Allison W/T, 2011 Silverado 2500HD CC/LB W/T 6.0L, 2005 Isuzu NPR HD Flatbed Dump (6.0L/4l80e), 2003 Silverado 1500 RC/LB 4.3L, 2000 C3500 CC/LB W/T 5.7 Vortec, 1999 C3500 CC/LB W/T 5.7 Vortec

#10 Beav626

Beav626

Enthusiast

• 224 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

You jacked up the truck and grabbed each tire and they don't move around??

They move in a circular pattern :D

I will jack it up later this week and try again and see if I notice anything.

#11 NYZR2

NYZR2

Enthusiast

• 81 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

most of the time if your wheel bearing is going bad you will hear a howling sound and sometimes a vibration. To tell which ones is bad is go around a right corner and then a left corner. if your turn right and it stops then its your left bearing and if your turn left and it stops then its your right. The reason is you are taking pressure off that bearing making it stop.
Posted Image
2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 4:10 - K&N Cold air - Flowmaster catback - 8' fisher HD plow

#12 Grebbler

Grebbler

Enthusiast

• 61 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

If you get a neato panoramic effect then ya need BOTH of them replaced :D

Edited by Grebbler, 20 April 2009 - 07:07 PM.

Misery is other drivers

2002 Tahoe LS 4x4
5.3 Flex Corvette Servo AVS In-channels JVC KD-PDR80 BB Engine Tune Tricked out cigarette lighter knob

1984 3500 3+3 Crew Cab
350 w/Edelbrock 600 700R4 w/Corvette Servo & manual TCC AVS Surface Mount JVC w/Sub Cloth w/Captains' Chairs

#13 Beav626

Beav626

Enthusiast

• 224 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

it is not constant- so does that change things?

#14 Frost

Frost

Enthusiast

• 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

it is not constant- so does that change things?

When mine was going out, I thought it was tire noise at first. I needed new tires anyway, so I bought a set of Bridgestone H/L Alenzas and it seemed worse. Figured out it was the bearing, the volume kinda sneaks up on ya.

Go to a large parking lot and get going about 25-30 (or until you hear the noise). While moving, cut sharp left and right. If the noise goes away when you turn one way and not the other, the wheel bearing on the side opposite from the direction you're turning is bad. You can also jack the truck up like someone said earlier, and spin the wheels by hand. My bad bearing sounded just like a light scraping, the other side made no noise.

GM will charge you about $400 for ONE hub assembly....which is ridiculous. I found a pair of hub assemblies (both sides) on AMautoparts.com for under $200 shipped. Might as well change both of them out, I think there was actually a class action lawsuit brought against GM for bad wheel bearings.

Easy install man, took about an hour a side.

Edited by Frost, 20 April 2009 - 10:39 PM.

I once won a 7 on 1 street fight. We kicked the shit outta that guy.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Beav626

Beav626

Enthusiast

• 224 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

I was driving to work today and noticed a few things... My commute is about 10 miles maybe 20 minutes. The ride is great until I get about 1 mile from my office. As I approach a stoplight (lower than 20mph) I hear the light scraping... until I stop. when I accelerate I hear the scraping until about 10 mph from the drivers front wheel.
I hear it once again at a different stop light.

Then as I pull into my office and park-she was quiet again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users