Body Mount Pop/clunk Tsb

#06-08-61-003D: Underbody Pop or Clunk Type Noise While Turning or Driving on Uneven Road Surfaces (Install Body Mount Insulator) - (Sep 10, 2008)

Subject: Underbody Pop or Clunk Type Noise While Turning or Driving on Uneven Road Surfaces (Install Body Mount Insulator)

Models: 2004-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2004-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2004-2008 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic), Silverado

2004-2008 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2004-2008 GMC Sierra (Classic), Sierra Denali (Classic), Sierra, Sierra Denali

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years and include diagnosis information. Warranty information has also been updated. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-61-003C (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a pop or clunk type noise while turning or driving on uneven road surfaces. This noise can be heard and/or felt at either the driver's or front passenger floor pan area.

Cause

Under certain conditions, normal movement between the frame and the #1, #2 or #3 body mounts may cause this noise to occur.

Diagnosis

1. If the vehicle is equipped with aftermarket (non-GM Accessory) running boards or the running board is mounted using the body mount bolt, remove the running boards prior to test driving the vehicle. This will eliminate the running boards as the possible cause of the noise.

2. Install the J-39570 Chassis Ears to the frame rail at or near the body mounts.

3. Test drive the vehicle to identify which mount is suspect.

Correction

Install an insulator at the suspect mount(s). The insulator should be installed between the upper portion of the body mount and the frame bracket. The #1 mount is the mount located just under the A-pillar. The #2 mount is the mount located just under the B-pillar. The #3 mount is the mount located just under the C-pillar. Use the procedure listed below.

INSULATOR PART NUMBER 15899719

1. Raise the vehicle on the hoist. It is recommended to use a four-post lift or strap the vehicle frame to the hoist arms.

2. For the left side mounts only, remove the intermediate park brake cable. Perform the following steps:

2.1. Remove the nut from the park brake equalizer.

2.2. Remove the intermediate cable from the equalizer.

2.3. Depress the retaining tabs that secure the park brake cable to the frame.

2.4. Pull slightly on the cable from the mounting area in order to provide slack for body movement without binding the cable.

3. Remove all of the body mount bolts on the side being repaired.

4. Properly support the body at the body mount area.

Caution: When you remove the body mount, do NOT separate the frame from the body more than is necessary. Possible personal injury and damage to multiple parts may result.

5. Lower the chassis accordingly in order to remove the upper portion of the body mount.

6. Install the new insulator to the bottom of the top portion of the body mount. The picture shows the insulator (1) location after the body mount is reassembled.

7. Install the body mount to the frame bracket.

8. Perform the following procedure before installing the bolts.

8.1. Clean the bolt threads of all the original thread locking compound.

8.2. Clean the threads of the bolt with denatured alcohol or equivalent and allow to dry.

8.3. Apply Threadlocker, GM P/N 89021297 (In Canada, use P/N 10953488).

9. Install the body mount bolts.

Tighten

For 2003, 2004 and 2005 model year, tighten the bolts to 85 N·m (63 lb ft).

Tighten

For 2006-2008 model year, tighten the bolts to 100 N·m (74 lb ft).

10. Reinstall the intermediate park brake cable (left side only).

post-14076-1241043787_thumb.png

post-14076-1241043798_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
My truck was just at the dealer last week, with the same noise. And they told me there's nothing that they can do, back to the dealer!

OMG...this is fantastic. I have had this problem since I bought my truck...and now there is a solution!!

I am so happy!

Is this applicable to the 2009 model year? I am on my way to the dealer and I know the answer will be 'its your aftermarket tube steps that are causing it' and I would rather have this in hand when I go in.

Do your aftermarket tube steps mount to the body mounts or the body pinch weld? Mine mount to the pinch weld.

The teflon pads are only $2.00 each... i actually ordered 4 of them since i had to pay $12 shipping :lol: (had to make it worth my while :D ). Install doesn't take long at all, hardest part is loosening up the body mount thats above the front bumper. Hour max for the job if you only have a racket set/wrenches and a driveway (oh, floor jack and block of wood too)

• 3 months later...
Glad I found this. My 2005 Yukon XL has been making this noise for the past year or so. Does anyone know if the dealer will fix it for free?

A TSB is not a recall. If you're under warranty the fact that a TSB exists should mean you'd be covered under warranty but if you're out of warranty, you get to pay for it.

Glad I found this. My 2005 Yukon XL has been making this noise for the past year or so. Does anyone know if the dealer will fix it for free?

I have been to the dealer twice for the same issue...and they have yet to fix it. I got over it.

Check the torsion bar crossmember bushings (1999-2007 Classic). Been seeing alot of these separating, causing clunks. The bracket that houses the bushing is rivited to the frame. You can buy just the bushing, at least for the Avalanche its available separate from the bracket. All the pick ups I've done, I've just replaced the brackets which include the bushing. You can torch the rivits out, but be carefull not to heat the frame up. I take a cut of wheel and "X" the rivit heads. Then I air chizzle them out. Use hardened nuts and bolts, with red lock tight to reinstall. Then, I spray rubberized undercoating on the nuts, bolts, and the area of the frame I was using the air chizzle on.

#PIT3459A: Torsion Bar Crossmember Bushing Replacement - keywords bar bracket break broken bushing clunk front insulator loose mount noise pop steering suspension torsion turn - (Aug 18, 2005)

Subject: Torsion Bar Crossmember Bushing Replacement

Models: 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

1999-2006 Chevrolet 1500 Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

1999-2006 GMC 1500 Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The repair instructions for replacing the torsion bar crossmember bushing and the correct part number can be difficult to find.

Recommendation/Instructions:

When replacing the torsion bar crossmember bushing, most applications use P/N 15001006, which is called an insulator in GMSPO Parts Catalog. Please have the parts department verify this is the correct part number for your vehicle. This part is only the bushing and does not come with the bracket.

Use SI Document ID # 675834 for repair instructions.

Note: When replacing the bushing, the center hole will be elongated. The bushing should be oriented so the elongated hole is in the horizontal position.

Check the torsion bar crossmember bushings (1999-2007 Classic). Been seeing alot of these separating, causing clunks. The bracket that houses the bushing is rivited to the frame. You can buy just the bushing, at least for the Avalanche its available separate from the bracket. All the pick ups I've done, I've just replaced the brackets which include the bushing. You can torch the rivits out, but be carefull not to heat the frame up. I take a cut of wheel and "X" the rivit heads. Then I air chizzle them out. Use hardened nuts and bolts, with red lock tight to reinstall. Then, I spray rubberized undercoating on the nuts, bolts, and the area of the frame I was using the air chizzle on.

Yep,We've been seeing this issue at our dealership also,I started stocking the brackets w/bushings,and some bolts/nuts to replace the rivets.

Yep,We've been seeing this issue at our dealership also,I started stocking the brackets w/bushings,and some bolts/nuts to replace the rivets.

How many miles are you guys seeing on trucks with this torsion bar issue?

Archived