Fifth Wheel Hitch

Anyone tow a fifth wheel trailer with the NBS 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Bed? I am wondering if I will need a slider hitch to keep the 5er front end from contacting the rear window on sharp turns. Just looking for some experience since I have only had bumper pull trailers before. Thanks.

If it has the same dimensions as the 800's, I'd say no. I dont use one, and can get into some pretty tight turns without getting close to the window. If anything, If I were to jack knife my trailer, I'd contact the rear of the cab first.

I think its relative to the 5ther you get. Go with what the dealer recommends. Most I've looked at seem to recommend the slider since the bed is only 6' long.

Steven

If the trailer has an extended pin box (most modern ones do), then a sliding hitch isn't an absolute necessity. You can still get into maneuvers sometimes, especially on uneven ground (like backing up a hill while also turning) that the corner of the trailer can get near your rear window. But on flat ground you may never get into a situation needing it.

Having said that, I've had sliders on all my trucks (even my longbed) for another reason. Without a slider the pivot point (pin) is directly over the rear axle and the maneuvering geometry causes slow response to steering input when backing. Moving the pivot point back about a foot makes backing maneuvers in tight spots MUCH easier, because you get some immediate "leverage" when you steer.

If the trailer has an extended pin box (most modern ones do), then a sliding hitch isn't an absolute necessity. You can still get into maneuvers sometimes, especially on uneven ground (like backing up a hill while also turning) that the corner of the trailer can get near your rear window. But on flat ground you may never get into a situation needing it.

I agree 100% with BlackSilver. I had to use my slider in situations like that a few times.

I agree 100% with BlackSilver. I had to use my slider in situations like that a few times.

Thanks guys... you made some good points. Now to decide on the manual slider or the PullRite Superglide.

Thanks guys... you made some good points. Now to decide on the manual slider or the PullRite Superglide.

Depends how much money you have to spend. I am happy with the manual Reese slider.

Very true, I never thought of that, since this state i'm is is extremely flat.

Having said that, I've had sliders on all my trucks (even my longbed) for another reason. Without a slider the pivot point (pin) is directly over the rear axle and the maneuvering geometry causes slow response to steering input when backing. Moving the pivot point back about a foot makes backing maneuvers in tight spots MUCH easier, because you get some immediate "leverage" when you steer.

Good note. I may have to add one.

Well... just put a deposit down on the 5th wheel and scheduled the hitch install. I decided to splurge and get the PullRite SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch. Hey, I'm getting old & lazy. :thumbs:

Well... just put a deposit down on the 5th wheel and scheduled the hitch install. I decided to splurge and get the PullRite SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch. Hey, I'm getting old & lazy. :D

OK, so what 5th wheel did you buy?

Well... just put a deposit down on the 5th wheel and scheduled the hitch install. I decided to splurge and get the PullRite SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch. Hey, I'm getting old & lazy. :D

OK, so what 5th wheel did you buy?

2010 Keystone Cougar 276RLS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am fairly new to the RV thing....the dealer highly recommended the slider hitch when I bought the 5th wheel...glad I did. There have been several times that I probably would not have a rear window if it was not for the slider.

I also have a Reese manual slider and I like it fine...Yep, I have to get in and out of the truck a couple of times, but it works flawlessly and is pretty easy to use.....

Archived