Hvac Blend Door Actuator Install Directions

46 replies to this topic

#31 Cheeze

Cheeze

Enthusiast

• 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

Hello guys,
Need help. I have a 2003 Silverado SS with manual dual climate control. When i change the air to flow from the front vents to the windshield it will not change? do you know what actuator it might be and a writeup on how to do it?

#32 Cheeze

Cheeze

Enthusiast

• 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

Ok tried doing the recalibration on the truck and nothing yet. Still throws air through the front vents on the window defroster. :D

#33 180pilot

180pilot

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:26 AM

Ok tried doing the recalibration on the truck and nothing yet. Still throws air through the front vents on the window defroster. :rolleyes:

The actuator shown so far here is the Air Temperature Actuator, one that blends hot and cold. The actuator for the floor, vent, defrost, is the Mode Actuator and is in a different place on the assembly as pictured in my 2002 Silverado Service Manual.

#34 CW AF 03

CW AF 03

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

I tried replacing the mode actuator on my 2001 Silverado 1500 with single climate zone controls and I'm about to lose it. I pulled the fuses, replaced the new actuator, reconnected everything and the mode controls were completely reversed. On defrost it would blow through the front ducts and vice versa. I tried the reset procedure decribed earlier (disconnect battery for 30 sec, turn key on for 1 min, off for 10 sec, then back on) and now the controls not only remain reversed, but I have only two modes (either full defrost or full front). I did mess with the new actuator during the install to try and solve the reverse mode problem by setting the mode to defrost, pulling the actuator, and rotating the cam to defrost in the hopes that everything would sync up. No luck and now I have lost all the modes in between. I hate to admit defeat, but I'm about to drop the F-bomb and take it to a shop unless someone on here can help...

#35 Cajunslo

Cajunslo

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

Sorry I cant help with calibration, other than what's been posted here. My passenger side actuator door malfunctions at times and blows hot air. I checked with the GM dealer, now a Dodge dealer!, they quoted me $900 to change it out. Well the part needs power to run it, so I held off hoping to find a fix on this site. I did do the recalibration a couple of times and it helped for awhile. So I am reluctant to spend that kind of money and not really know thats it a broken gear or such until I exhaust all my options. I am having other electrical problems with my heated seats as mentioned in my other post last week.
Looking for advice, do you think its the actuator?
Also could someone please post a shortcut to instructions on changing the passenger side actuator. The dealer did say the whole dash had to come off. I thought I read on another website that you could partially remove dash and get to it. Any truth to this?

#36 ne4m

ne4m

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

The actuator on the hvac blend door has blended it's last blend and is in need of replacing. Hopefully someone can post directions for replacing it. I have no idea where it is or how to remove/replace it. The truck is a 2001 Silverado.

Thanks everyone.

Im a novice at this. Can you tell me exactly what the "instrument panel hush panel" is and where it is located?

#37 franco925

franco925

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

The actuator on the hvac blend door has blended it's last blend and is in need of replacing. Hopefully someone can post directions for replacing it. I have no idea where it is or how to remove/replace it. The truck is a 2001 Silverado.

Thanks everyone.

Hope this helps.

#38 feedslinger

feedslinger

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

Mine has auto HVAC, thanks for your help.

Ok I have a 99 Silverrado 2500 I need to repalce the recirculation motor. I guess I do It pops contionusly when either in fresh air or recirc I seen in the digram but how do you tell which brand you have Delphi or Visteon

Edited by feedslinger, 14 October 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#39 dirtyfilthybart

dirtyfilthybart

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

I have a 94 Silverado and need to change the actuator that's just to the left of the fan housing and closest to the firewall. It looks like You could remove/partially remove the HVAC unit and swap out the actuator through the glove box. Does anyone know if this would be easier than removing the dash? Does anyone have a part # for this actuator (preferably one of better quality than the original POS)? Thanks,Bart

#40 casterww

casterww

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:56 AM

My 2009 Silverado is doing the same thing.

Blowing hot air all the time, both driver and passenger side.

Dual zone, auto control.

I have reset the control by removing the fuse and going thru the restart routine, but no joy.

Any suggestions on how to get the air to blow cold again ?

Both sides blow hot air, floor only, no ability to direct air to the vents or defrost. The control shows the correct indications, but the air comes out hot, on the floor only, all the time, regardless of settings

The truck is out of warranty and I'd like to fix this myself is possible.

I don't have a clue where the blend door actuator is.

I have the bucket seats with center console if that helps

I'm lost on this one and the heat is killing me as I commute about 90 miles one way to and from work

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

#41 Navy truck guy

Navy truck guy

Enthusiast

• 36 posts
  • Name:Blake
  • Drives:2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ex. Cab 4.8L

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

i just replaced mine on my 01 silverado 1500. its not too hard. i used a 1/4 in ratchet with a 10mm and a 7mm socket (i think). theres a cover over the whole system on the passenger side floor board. you need to take that off. just a few screws. once thats off the actuator is toward the center on the passenger side. theres only 3 screws on it and is real easy to take off. then disconect the connector.
Now, make shure you have the correct replacement part. I found mine on rockauto.com for about $40 for the off brand. they also sell AC Delco if you want to spend a little more for name brand.
To install the new one. the door should be swinging freely. start your truck and turn on the blower to 5. it should be blowing out heat. take your new actuator and connect it to the connector then turn that to the hottest setting.then disconect the connector. you can now install the actuator using the three screws from the old one. replace the cover and your done. it should work perfectly.

#42 Navy truck guy

Navy truck guy

Enthusiast

• 36 posts
  • Name:Blake
  • Drives:2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ex. Cab 4.8L

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

Thanks everyone.

Im a novice at this. Can you tell me exactly what the "instrument panel hush panel" is and where it is located?

the hush panel is the bottom panel over the whole system on the passenger side floorboard. its easy to remove. i think there a 10mm. most stuff in the cab is either 10 or 7mm heads.

#43 casterww

casterww

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

Does anyone know where the actuators are located in a 2007-2011 Silverado ?

How to determine which actuator is which ?

#44 fiddlebuster

fiddlebuster

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have a 94 1500 and the hvac blend door actuator has gone bad and makes an annoying clicking sound when the power in turned on or off. I have searched the internet for instructions on how to fix this problem with frustrating results. All of the information out there is horribly deficient. Even the information on this forum is not clear enough for the average Joe non gearhead. (no disrespect to any members of this forum is intended)

To locate the right actuator look under dash directly below the glove box and follow the large wire bundle to the firewall

Posted Image

Posted Image

Forgive this picture as it was taken using a mirror in order to see up under the dash. The flash caused a lot of reflective noise

look above the wire bundle and you will see the actuator attached to the hvac unit.

I am not sure how to access it due to the confined space but i was able to unplug it which solved the clicking problem.

Posted Image

Hopefully some can shed some light as to how to actually get the darn thing out.

Edited by fiddlebuster, 04 January 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#45 Takmar

Takmar

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

I think I have narrowed down my problem, and know what I need to do, but I figured I would get a little support before rolling up the sleeves. I have a 1999 Silverado 1500 5.3L. When I want heat, I have been having a harder and harder time getting it to work. The air blows fine, but sometimes I have to move the thermostat from the cold setting back to the hot side either once or a few times to get the hot air to begin flowing. Sometimes when I do this, I can hear a clicking noise kinda coming from where my glovebox is. It usually clicks about 3 times but this sound does not always produce heat. The clicking sounds like a stripped gear or component. So either the blend actuator is stripped (or near enough), or the blend door is messed up. When I turn it to the cold setting, it is always cold. I do not seem to have a problem with it being stuck on heat, which at this point in the year would be just fine.

So now I am just wondering if anyone can tell me, "Oh yeah, all you need is to change the actuator." or, "Well you may need to tear the truck apart to get to the blend door."

Thanks for the help!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users