Hvac Blend Door Actuator Install Directions

shithappens

Question

The actuator on the hvac blend door has blended it's last blend and is in need of replacing. Hopefully someone can post directions for replacing it. I have no idea where it is or how to remove/replace it. The truck is a 2001 Silverado.

Thanks everyone.

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The actuator on the hvac blend door has blended it's last blend and is in need of replacing. Hopefully someone can post directions for replacing it. I have no idea where it is or how to remove/replace it. The truck is a 2001 Silverado.

Thanks everyone.

Im a novice at this. Can you tell me exactly what the "instrument panel hush panel" is and where it is located?

the hush panel is the bottom panel over the whole system on the passenger side floorboard. its easy to remove. i think there a 10mm. most stuff in the cab is either 10 or 7mm heads.

this picture looks funny. what is the Remove the instrument panel carrier. Is it the whols outer dash? i have some ac ducts right over the top of the blendoor.

I am wondeing on this too. There must be some instructions that come before those instructions....what needs to come off before replacing the actuator?

You would be correct to disagree. I didn't notice that Norseman posted a second PDF. I do know this, the right side actuator is the worst of all. I have heard stories of tearing out most of the dash to get to it. The book shows about 3.5 hours minimum for repair on right. Compared to .7 for the left

Sorry I cant help with calibration, other than what's been posted here. My passenger side actuator door malfunctions at times and blows hot air. I checked with the GM dealer, now a Dodge dealer!, they quoted me $900 to change it out. Well the part needs power to run it, so I held off hoping to find a fix on this site. I did do the recalibration a couple of times and it helped for awhile. So I am reluctant to spend that kind of money and not really know thats it a broken gear or such until I exhaust all my options. I am having other electrical problems with my heated seats as mentioned in my other post last week.

Looking for advice, do you think its the actuator?

Also could someone please post a shortcut to instructions on changing the passenger side actuator. The dealer did say the whole dash had to come off. I thought I read on another website that you could partially remove dash and get to it. Any truth to this?

Thanks

I'm thinking my $400-$500 estimate for this job might be a bargain in this case.

You would be correct to disagree. I didn't notice that Norseman posted a second PDF. I do know this, the right side actuator is the worst of all. I have heard stories of tearing out most of the dash to get to it. The book shows about 3.5 hours minimum for repair on right. Compared to .7 for the left

well here's my 2 cents to the cause. I took my truck '99 Z71 to the local shop to see how much the'd fix my AC problem (the blend door got stuck on heat). They gave me an estimate of $750.00 to repair and that it would take approx 3-5 hours (of course they didn't want me to stick around to see how long they work on the truck). After a lil research I found where the actuator was located and it took me apporx 10 minutes to take it off. I ordered a new one which it cost me $56 including ship and tax. You can find these at local auto parts store or online. Took me 15 minutes to install the new one. Thanks to this site and forum, I saved $700 on fixing my AC.

I uploaded a pic showing the problem of the old actuator - one of the plastic gears inside the actuator cracked and it gets stuck.

Thanks to all that posted directions, pics and drawings on how to replace this part. Helped a bunch.

post-78614-1280351954_thumb.jpg

post-135167-0-76294800-1413169146.jpgpost-135167-0-76294800-1413169146.jpgHaving enjoyed about two years of 'fun' managing the on again, off again workings of my 2005 Z71 Suburban heater/AC and prompted by the 100+ deg heat in California, I finally decided to get serious and look for a fix.

Most all postings pointed to the blend door actuators. The bad news, courtesy of the dealer, is that apparently there are 4. Undeterred, I set too to tackle the first one. The blend door under the passenger side foot well. 52402588. ($140 at O Reillys which was a little steep, but they had in stock)

To make a short story long, three hours later, and lots of cursing, I had the thing replaced. I've done many fixes on vehicles, but this had to be the most difficult to access parts ever!!. I was never really sure what the outcome was going to be, but with the actuator replaced I had full control over hot and cold as opposed to hit and miss nature of what I had had before.

Spurred on, I set about the second actuator. Again wasn't sure what it was going to fix, but found out later that I hit jackpot, and this resolved the issue on not being able to switch between defrost and front vents. 52402598. ($40 and much better deal off Amazon).

Remember though that I said how hard the first actuator had been? Well this drivers side unit, shoved up behind and to the right of the gas pedal, was something else altogether. This turned out to 4 hours of misery and arguably 4 times harder than the passenger side. You just can't see what you are doing.

Anyway, all done. $200 total versus $850 from the dealer and AC just in time for the winter!

post-135167-0-76294800-1413169146.jpg

This is the best write-up I've found

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showt...d+Door+Actuator

Hope that helps.

I have 2004 Suburban. Have ordered actuator and am going to try to replace it myself.

I am female and know I can do this with some help from you guys. When I calibrate how do I

clear all dtc's. I am replacing the driver side actuator. Remember, I am female and need the info in

plain english. I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you! This is a very helpful post! I'll be changing mine soon.

I have a 94 Silverado and need to change the actuator that's just to the left of the fan housing and closest to the firewall. It looks like You could remove/partially remove the HVAC unit and swap out the actuator through the glove box. Does anyone know if this would be easier than removing the dash? Does anyone have a part # for this actuator (preferably one of better quality than the original POS)? Thanks,Bart

I have a similiar problem with my 2003 Sub. It has dual driver and passenger climate control. My problem is the blend door is opening about a quarter inch and then closing. When recirculate is selected the dooor opens fully and when it is deselected (either manually or automatically) it closes. So my question is the actuator failed or do I have a sensor problem and how do I troubleshoot it?

Archived