1995 Z71 350 Stepside Oil Pressure Gauge Wacky

I have a 1995 350V8 K1500 stepside. I have been told GM trucks have the common problem of the oil pressure switches or senders going bad or something. My truck for the past month the pressure on the gauge goes up and down to the zero, sometimes staying at 0 and the check gauges light comes on. Obviously if i had no oil pressure, the motor would be knocking or making strange sounds by now since ive put at least 1000miles on it since the gauge started doing this. anybody know what i'd have to replace to get it to work properly again? is it the oil pressure sending switch? or is there something else also. truck has 83K miles on it.

I have a 1995 350V8 K1500 stepside. I have been told GM trucks have the common problem of the oil pressure switches or senders going bad or something. My truck for the past month the pressure on the gauge goes up and down to the zero, sometimes staying at 0 and the check gauges light comes on. Obviously if i had no oil pressure, the motor would be knocking or making strange sounds by now since ive put at least 1000miles on it since the gauge started doing this. anybody know what i'd have to replace to get it to work properly again? is it the oil pressure sending switch? or is there something else also. truck has 83K miles on it.

Bad sending unit. Pretty common problem on any type of vehicle after 10 plus years and should be a simple and inexpensive fix... as long as you actually HAVE oil pressure!

Bad sending unit. Pretty common problem on any type of vehicle after 10 plus years and should be a simple and inexpensive fix... as long as you actually HAVE oil pressure!

+1 The sending unit isn't too bad. I work at a part store. We offer it in a company called standard (part number ps262) for $57.99, or in an economy version (part number ps262t) for $28.19. The only difference between the two, is that the more expensive used a little higher quality materials. You'll find that with any brand you buy. Cheep isn't always the best.

+1 The sending unit isn't too bad. I work at a part store. We offer it in a company called standard (part number ps262) for $57.99, or in an economy version (part number ps262t) for $28.19. The only difference between the two, is that the more expensive used a little higher quality materials. You'll find that with any brand you buy. Cheep isn't always the best.

thanks, any idea where the unit is on the truck? i dont have an FSM for it

according to haynes, the oil pressure sending unit on v6 and small block v8 are located above the oil filter. I have a picture in the book, but I have no way of getting it to you right now. I can probably have the picture posted around 5 or 6pm central time tonight, if you can wait that long

according to haynes, the oil pressure sending unit on v6 and small block v8 are located above the oil filter. I have a picture in the book, but I have no way of getting it to you right now. I can probably have the picture posted around 5 or 6pm central time tonight, if you can wait that long

I can wait thanks

I can wait thanks

any pics? i guess i can look and see if its visible never the oil oil filter

Here's a scanned pic from the Haynes manual,not much help..if you look closely you can see the edge of the casting of where the oil filter screws in(at the bottom of the pic).

oilpressuresensor350.jpg

Here's a scanned pic from the Haynes manual,not much help..if you look closely you can see the edge of the casting of where the oil filter screws in(at the bottom of the pic).

oilpressuresensor350.jpg

replaced it today, still have a wacky gauge that shows bettter pressure now when its not at zero. next thing i guess is get a mechanical gauge and maybe rule out the oil pump failing or bad bearings or bad wiring

well took it by my mechanic that i use when i cant do a job myself. first hing he asked was if it had oil in it. sure enough checks it and its down 2 qts. put oil in everything is fine. why dont i ever think to check the obvious things, because i did the oil change with synthetic 6K miles ago and never checked it after because i know it doesnt leak. i guess it burns a little bit or whatever

well took it by my mechanic that i use when i cant do a job myself. first hing he asked was if it had oil in it. sure enough checks it and its down 2 qts. put oil in everything is fine. why dont i ever think to check the obvious things, because i did the oil change with synthetic 6K miles ago and never checked it after because i know it doesnt leak. i guess it burns a little bit or whatever

You already know this "NOW"...but don't EVER drive 6000 miles without ever checking the oil. :D:D

Personally, just to be safe, I would check it every 500 to 1000 miles.

Certainly no more than 1000.

Neither my 2006 Chevy van or the Cadillac has ever used any oil...YET, but anything can change.

Thats why I periodically check the oil level. :D

You already know this "NOW"...but don't EVER drive 6000 miles without ever checking the oil. :D:D

Neither my 2006 Chevy van or the Cadillac has ever used any oil...YET, but anything can change.

:D Just for shit's and giggles, I check mine once a week. :D

:D Just for shit's and giggles, I check mine once a week. :D

I run about 1000 miles a week, or more, in the van...

I try to remember to check it AT LEAST once a week, preferably twice.

When I am on a road trip in the Caddy...

I check it at the motel every morning, before I start it.

We sometimes cover a lot of ground in a days time at pretty high speed.

Even tho it holds almost 8 quarts, I don't want it to be low on oil.

I want it FULL. :D:D

Archived