Need Shop To Weld Aftermarket Muffler

I've been considering purchasing an aftermarket muffler, but the problem is finding a shop to weld it on for me. Several people on this site mentioned they got theirs done for $20-$40. I've called a few places and they are all quoting me in the $70-$100 range, which I find unreasonable. All they have to do is cut out the stock muffler and weld in the new aftermarket. I've considered just buying reducers/connectors with clamps but price-wise it looks like it is more effective to just having a garage do the work. Any suggestions? I am currently in the Detroit Metro area. Anyone have any advice for me, or even better, know a place I can go?

I am going to do something similar. I bought a Thrush welded 2 chamber muffler for 25.00 I am going to have it welded on and have a nascar type side exit tip added, was the price you were quoted for new pipe in a different size? also they may be figuring making new hangars for you. 70-100 sounds fair if they are doing any of that.

Robert

Nope, I told them all they need to do is chop off the old muffler and weld on the new one. No new hangers. I think they were going with hourly rates thinking it might take 1-1.5 hours. I might give a place called Complete Auto Pros another call Monday. They have a good track record for being reasonable and honest, and most important they are not a franchise.

Edit: Also, there would be no new pipe size.

Seth most shops will make some profit from parts and a little more from labor. That does seem a little steep considering what they have to do, but consider their position. They have the welding equipment and you don't, they have the lift and so on, you get the picture. I would think you could get it done cheaper though. Good luck.

Seth most shops will make some profit from parts and a little more from labor. That does seem a little steep considering what they have to do, but consider their position. They have the welding equipment and you don't, they have the lift and so on, you get the picture. I would think you could get it done cheaper though. Good luck.

I do understand that. I'm just comparing how others were able to get it done for less than $40. I suppose a little negotiation might be in order (if they are willing to do so). If I can do it for less than $40 myself using clamps and connectors, then perhaps they will be doing it for that price to make some money.

I've been considering purchasing an aftermarket muffler, but the problem is finding a shop to weld it on for me. Several people on this site mentioned they got theirs done for $20-$40. I've called a few places and they are all quoting me in the $70-$100 range, which I find unreasonable. All they have to do is cut out the stock muffler and weld in the new aftermarket. I've considered just buying reducers/connectors with clamps but price-wise it looks like it is more effective to just having a garage do the work. Any suggestions? I am currently in the Detroit Metro area. Anyone have any advice for me, or even better, know a place I can go?
I think $20-$40 is labor only, it basically cost me about $87 total to have my stock muffler swapped out for a Dynomax Bullet.

$25 at Midas. seriously about a 30 minute job tops if they stop for a pop in between cutting out the old and welding in the new :D I'd go maybe up to $40 but anything over that is robbery. call around, there's got to be a mom and pops shop that wants some quick cash business.

good luck

Just had this done this week. Put in a Magnaflow for the stock exhaust. All they had to do was cut out the old and weld in the new (which had 3" in/out). Cost me $55.

I've had the local shop weld one in for me before, seems like it was $25.00

But I have had several vehicles done there and know the installer by name, that helps.

You could always price the muffler you want through the shop. You may pay a few dollars more than on the internet,

but they may cut you a break on the install.

The $70-80 is not really that shocking; around here that's a normal hourly shop rate at most reputable places, and you usually get charged a minimum of one hour. Best way to get around it is if you have a shop you frequent or have connections with someone who owns or works in a shop.

Archived