Heated Seat Problems

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ScooterInMN

ScooterInMN

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:34 AM

I have an '05 with the leather heated seats. I have noticed an intermittent problem with the passenger seats heat not coming on. Anyone have any ideas or where to start looking?

#2 Bostonsfavson

Bostonsfavson

I'm kind of a big deal.

• 1,503 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

Fuse, under-seat wiring harness.
Posted Image
-Will-
2007 GMC Sierra Denali AWD
Not quite stock...

#3 bill190

bill190

Enthusiast

• 728 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

Unplug the connector at the seat and monitor it with a multimeter to see if it is getting constant power or not.

If it is, then check the connector and seat wiring for poor connections.

If not, then get a factory electrical diagram book and monitor the connectors further and further back to the power source. These wires tend to be bundled and are impossible to trace, thus the reason for the electrical diagram manual. This will tell you which harness(s) the wiring is in and show you the locations of various connectors / wiring for this circuit.

#4 ScooterInMN

ScooterInMN

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

I'm guessing that it may be a loose connection since the problem comes and goes.

#5 reiling3

reiling3

Enthusiast

• 63 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

I'm going to assume that you already know this. But, the seat heaters won't work unless somebody is sitting in them. At least that's how mine are.
Posted Image
2003 GMC Sierra K1500 5.3 SLT Z-71|Goodmark Ram Air Hood|Airaid CAI|Airaid MIT|Flowmaster 50|Torsion Key Lift|ScanGauge|American Racing Victor Teflon 17x8|Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/17|Antenna Delete Mod|LED Gauge Cluster Mod|Amsoil Fluids|Corvette Servo|

#6 Z71_Silvy

Z71_Silvy

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:35 AM

I have an '05 with the leather heated seats. I have noticed an intermittent problem with the passenger seats heat not coming on. Anyone have any ideas or where to start looking?

Awe come-on...It is May...we won't need our headed seats for at least 3-4 months!!!
Posted Image
-2006 LT3 CC Silverado, 5.3 V8, 3.42 gears, 6000K HIDs, Corvette Servo, Escalade Platinum Cluster, Lux Amp, Tinted Front Windows, Body Color Door Handles, 35K 'Slap-Free' Miles, $3.00 AUX input, and attacked by a BlackBear.

#7 swhitney2003

swhitney2003

Enthusiast

• 461 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:21 AM

Awe come-on...It is May...we won't need our headed seats for at least 3-4 months!!!

My drive to work today was 34 F. Of course I am used to not wearing a jacket anymore in the mornings. I didn't realize the temp. until I got in my truck and it said ICE. I was thinking, hmm, yea... okay. My windshield was frosted. In the spirit of looking forward to warmer weather I toughed it out in my polo for the first 5 minutes until I got heat.
2008 Silverado 1500 LT1 - Regular Cab 8' Bed - 5.3L, 3.73, 4x4, Z71 - Line-X Spray-In Bed Liner, 2" Rough Country Leveling Kit, DIC Install, Corsa dB Black Muffler, Kobalt Truck Chest, Silverstar Ultra Hi/Low, Audiobahn A8000V Amplifier - 800 Watts RMS @ 2Ω, Two 12" Audiobahn Subwoofers, Antenna removed, Air dam removed

#8 ScooterInMN

ScooterInMN

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:26 AM

I'm going to assume that you already know this. But, the seat heaters won't work unless somebody is sitting in them. At least that's how mine are.

I didn't know that.
So it could be either a loose connection or a faulty sensor. Would you know if the sensor is in the seat?

#9 swhitney2003

swhitney2003

Enthusiast

• 461 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:28 AM

So it could be either a loose connection or a faulty sensor. Would you know if the sensor is in the seat?

Probably the same sensor in the seat that detects if a person is there for airbag purposes. When there is no weight there, passenger air bag(s) turn off.
2008 Silverado 1500 LT1 - Regular Cab 8' Bed - 5.3L, 3.73, 4x4, Z71 - Line-X Spray-In Bed Liner, 2" Rough Country Leveling Kit, DIC Install, Corsa dB Black Muffler, Kobalt Truck Chest, Silverstar Ultra Hi/Low, Audiobahn A8000V Amplifier - 800 Watts RMS @ 2Ω, Two 12" Audiobahn Subwoofers, Antenna removed, Air dam removed

#10 whaler

whaler

Enthusiast

• 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

I have a bit of an issue as well?
In my last truck 2003 SLT the seats worked very well. In my 2007 SLT, very poor. Low heat as the 03 cooked your ass!

Any ideas?

#11 Z71_Silvy

Z71_Silvy

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

My drive to work today was 34 F. Of course I am used to not wearing a jacket anymore in the mornings. I didn't realize the temp. until I got in my truck and it said ICE. I was thinking, hmm, yea... okay. My windshield was frosted. In the spirit of looking forward to warmer weather I toughed it out in my polo for the first 5 minutes until I got heat.

Must be global warming!
Posted Image
-2006 LT3 CC Silverado, 5.3 V8, 3.42 gears, 6000K HIDs, Corvette Servo, Escalade Platinum Cluster, Lux Amp, Tinted Front Windows, Body Color Door Handles, 35K 'Slap-Free' Miles, $3.00 AUX input, and attacked by a BlackBear.

#12 reiling3

reiling3

Enthusiast

• 63 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

Probably the same sensor in the seat that detects if a person is there for airbag purposes. When there is no weight there, passenger air bag(s) turn off.

:sigh:
Posted Image
2003 GMC Sierra K1500 5.3 SLT Z-71|Goodmark Ram Air Hood|Airaid CAI|Airaid MIT|Flowmaster 50|Torsion Key Lift|ScanGauge|American Racing Victor Teflon 17x8|Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/17|Antenna Delete Mod|LED Gauge Cluster Mod|Amsoil Fluids|Corvette Servo|

#13 BigBlueSilvy

BigBlueSilvy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,041 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

I didn't know that.

really? thats news to me. sometimes when im in a good mood i put the passenger seat heaters on before i pick up my girlfriend from work.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z-71
2009 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700

#14 reiling3

reiling3

Enthusiast

• 63 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

I didn't know that.

really? thats news to me. sometimes when im in a good mood i put the passenger seat heaters on before i pick up my girlfriend from work.

I agree you can turn them on. The lights will light up and everything. But, they won't warm up until someone is sitting in them. I assume that it is a safety issue since mine get smokin' hot. I really wouldn't be surprised if they turned them down on the newer trucks.
Posted Image

#15 ScooterInMN

ScooterInMN

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:53 AM

I didn't know that.

I agree you can turn them on. The lights will light up and everything. But, they won't warm up until someone is sitting in them. I assume that it is a safety issue since mine get smokin' hot. I really wouldn't be surprised if they turned them down on the newer trucks.

That tells me that the problem must be a loose connection. When the wife is sitting in the seat, the lights don't even come on. She can try a few minutes later and it works like a champ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users