2000 Silverado 4 Wheel Drive Not Working.

rodama28

Question

I have a 2000 silverado 5.3. i was out this weekend and tryed using my 4 wheel drive and it acts as if it isnt engaugeing when i shift into 4 hi or lo. the lights come on like they should, but the front wheels would not spin. what could be the cause of this? :sigh::D

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If no one has an answer to your question, I would suggest you get a factory service manual set from your GM dealer. This is a 4 book set which gives detailed troubleshooting instructions for everything for your specific vehicle.

And being as everything is electronic these days, troubleshooting many things requires the use of a voltmeter and ohm meter (multimeter) to check various sensors, actuators, etc.

i would try replacing the 4 wheel drive switch. They are common to go out, it might look like its working.. flashing and all but really is doing nuttin. Do you have any abs lights on? wheel speed sensor codes and EBCM problems also will not allow the truck to go into 4 dig. let us know.

i would try replacing the 4 wheel drive switch. They are common to go out, it might look like its working.. flashing and all but really is doing nuttin. Do you have any abs lights on? wheel speed sensor codes and EBCM problems also will not allow the truck to go into 4 dig. let us know.

i do not have any ABS lights on nor is there any codes that are popping. 4 wheel drive works when it wants to. this has been happening for about 2 months now.

im going to say from personal experience its the 4x4 switch on the dash... but it could also be a bad connection somwhere. hard to say not seeing the truck and being able to test it!

thats what it almost seem like is a bad connection. thank you for your help. i will start to try and trouble shoot the wireing and see were that gets me. i dont much to get into depth with right now being that i am getting ready to deploy. thanks again.

...thats what it almost seem like is a bad connection...

Well that is the idea behind getting a factory service manual set. This explains how everything works for your specific year/model vehicle.

As to the electrical for this, one or more of the books will show you all the electrical components involved with this, and where each component is located.

And that is the BIGGIE! Where is the darn thing located? It shows you in these books.

Then you can examine the wiring/connections to each thing.

In difficult cases like intermittent electrical problems, you can run temporary wires to the gizmo from inside your vehicle and monitor the electrical signals with a multimeter.

Then when the problem occurs, you can see if something is getting power as it should or is not. Then test another component if that is working ok. Etc.

4x4 switch in the dash. This has happened to everyone. I have the same issue and I know it's the switch.

The factory service manual set is around $150. I would think the dash switch would be much less expensive and worth a try first... (And sounds like it will need replacement anyway!)

Not to hijack the post but my trucks been sitting for about 2-3 months and its been cold here(iowa). I tried using the 4wd, both hi and lo, and neither work, the light flashes the goes solid like its engaged. It can also hear it engaging but it still in 2wd but it shows 4wd. If anyone knows or has had this problem let me know! thanks guys.

My truck 2002 silverado z71 does same thing. The lights on switch work but front wheels do not engage. The 4wd stopped working last year then worked once this snow now not again.. I do have an abs light on since I redid brakes which su*k but thats another thread! Could it be caused by abs light or maybe switch? It did work for awhile w/ abs light on

Truck is all stock w/ 43000 miles on it

your front 4wd actuator in the diff is gone is gone, or the fuse/relay that gives it juice. unplug it and test for voltage at the plug..if you have voltage than the actuator is gone...no voltage its the fuse...or relay

DORMAN Part # 600101...4wd actuator from Rockauto. 83 bones

Pop open your switch and look at these points. If they are cracked and broken, you should be able to re-solder them and give that a shot.

4x4switchBack.jpg

It is my understanding that the bad solder/broken connections are the problem with these switches. Make sure to wick up the old solder and use new solder. Don't just remelt the old.