Stuck Spare Tire

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jasonmatthew

jasonmatthew

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

My 2003 GMC Sierra Z71 Spare tire is stuck!! I bought the truck in October and had been meaning to check the spare. Well as luck would have it I punctured the driver front tire and it whent flat on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. I lowered the cable down with the jack rod but the tire stayed up.The cable came down very easy and coiled up on the ground but the tire only dropped about 3 inches. What is holding it up? If anyone has an answer I would love to hear it. It's bad enough getting stranded but I had no choice but to call my brother to get me. He loved having to rescue a GM when he has a Dodge Hemi!!

#2 Bish

Bish

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,670 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

My 2003 GMC Sierra Z71 Spare tire is stuck!! I bought the truck in October and had been meaning to check the spare. Well as luck would have it I punctured the driver front tire and it whent flat on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. I lowered the cable down with the jack rod but the tire stayed up.The cable came down very easy and coiled up on the ground but the tire only dropped about 3 inches. What is holding it up? If anyone has an answer I would love to hear it. It's bad enough getting stranded but I had no choice but to call my brother to get me. He loved having to rescue a GM when he has a Dodge Hemi!!

The cable rusting/freezing is the most common problem. Since you got the cable, the tire should come. The only thing my spare touched was the hitch. IIRC I did have to angle the spare when I put it back up.
2008 Yukon Denali AWD Red Jewel
6.2L, 6L80E EFILive and a BlackBearPerformance tune. GMPP CAI, Hotchkis Front/Rear Sway Bars
2008 Buick Enclave - All GM for us now!

#3 jasonmatthew

jasonmatthew

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

The cable rusting/freezing is the most common problem. Since you got the cable, the tire should come. The only thing my spare touched was the hitch. IIRC I did have to angle the spare when I put it back up.

The part that goes through the wheel centre that the cable goes through seems to be staying up somehow. My next move is a torch if I can't ge ti down!!

#4 Z71chev

Z71chev

You Ain't S**T!!!!!

• 2,450 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

spray the shit out of it with penetrating oil. let it soak and give it a shot 1st
Posted Image
Black 2007 Silverado Crew Cab GMT-900 1500 Z71 5.3 Alum. Block---
Cherry bomb Extreme single exhaust, True Flow air intake, Nelson Performance tune (93 oct) Corvette Servo, 3.73 gears, G80, Rough Country 2in Leveling Kit, Readylift 3in blocks in rear (not in sig), Line-X Xtra on both sides, AMI billet fuel door, Westin Bull Bar (black) with 2 6" KC slimlights.
BLACK TRUCK CLUB

Imperial Blue Met. 2008 Trailblazer LT. (stock)

Toys In Stock:
2006 Harley Davidson Road King Classic. Screaming Eagle Download, High flow Air intake and Rush exhaust.
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700FI Realtree HD hardwoods camo
2009 Yamaha Rhino 700FI Camo

#5 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

kick the rubber of the tire after spraying the release mechanism.

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#6 jasonmatthew

jasonmatthew

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

kick the rubber of the tire after spraying the release mechanism.

I'll give it try as soon as the weather lets up a bit, thanks

#7 NoMoRage

NoMoRage

Enthusiast

• 118 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

I had a similar experience on an older Chevy... get down on your back and kick the sh*t out it...

Lesson learned: do not have other foot beneath spare while kicking... tire WILL at some point fall!

gmc.jpg

#8 huntervh

huntervh

Enthusiast

• 173 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

Had the same thing happen to me on my 07 Sierra. Punctured the tire while going through a deep puddle. Cranked the tire down, but only the cable came, had no choice but to beat the crap out of with my foot and a rubber mallet before it decided to come loose.
Posted Image

#9 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

I had a similar experience on an older Chevy... get down on your back and kick the sh*t out it...

Lesson learned: do not have other foot beneath spare while kicking... tire WILL at some point fall!

ouch...

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#10 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

Isn't there a method in the owner's manual about using the jack to release the spare tire hoist if this happens?
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#11 CapitalTruck

CapitalTruck

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,212 posts
  • Drives:'13 Silverado Ext. Cab. 4wd 4.8L

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

To release the spare tire from the secondary latch do
the following:
1. Check under the vehicle to see if the cable end is
visible.
2. If the cable is not visible proceed to Step 6.
If it is visible, first try to tighten the cable by turning
the wheel wrench clockwise until you hear two
clicks or feel it skip twice. You cannot overtighten
the cable.
3. Loosen the cable by turning the wrench
counterclockwise three or four turns.
4. Repeat this procedure at least two times. If the
spare tire lowers to the ground, continue with
Step 5 of “Removing the Spare Tire and Tools”
earlier in this section.
5. Turn the wrench counterclockwise until
approximately six inches (15 cm) of cable is
exposed.
6. Stand the wheel blocks
on their shortest ends,
with the backs
facing each other.
7. Place the bottom edge of the jack on the wheel
blocks, separating them so that the jack is
balanced securely.
8. Attach the jack handle, extension, and wheel
wrench to the jack and place it (with the wheel
blocks) under the vehicle towards the front of the
rear bumper. Position the center lift point of the jack
under the center of the spare tire.
9. Turn the wrench clockwise to raise the jack until it
lifts the end fitting.
10. Continue raising the jack until the spare tire stops
moving upward and is held firmly in place. The
secondary latch has released and the spare tire is
balancing on the jack.

That is from my '04 manual. Basically, there is a secondary latch in the event the cable breaks or (or something like that). After the cable is down a ways you have to push up on the tire to get the latch to release.

http://www.chevrolet...rado_owners.pdf

go to page 5-93 of the link above (the owners manual) and it will show pictures, etc. (its an 09 manual, basically the same procedure though)

Edited by CapitalTruck, 19 May 2009 - 10:00 PM.

CapitalTruck's Current Ride:

2013 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 LS 4.8L Purchased New 5/2013 - Currently with 36,000 miles

#12 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:47 PM

There you go, I didn't want to go get my manual. But that sounds like a better solution that "beating the **** out of it", on certain occasions that solution does work, but when there's a less destructive solution, it's usually recommended.
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#13 Grumpy Aero Guy

Grumpy Aero Guy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,585 posts
  • Name:Frank B
  • Drives:'07 Sierra

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

To release the spare tire from the secondary latch do
the following:
1. Check under the vehicle to see if the cable end is
visible.
2. If the cable is not visible proceed to Step 6.
If it is visible, first try to tighten the cable by turning
the wheel wrench clockwise until you hear two
clicks or feel it skip twice. You cannot overtighten
the cable.
3. Loosen the cable by turning the wrench
counterclockwise three or four turns.
4. Repeat this procedure at least two times. If the
spare tire lowers to the ground, continue with
Step 5 of "Removing the Spare Tire and Tools"
earlier in this section.
5. Turn the wrench counterclockwise until
approximately six inches (15 cm) of cable is
exposed.
6. Stand the wheel blocks
on their shortest ends,
with the backs
facing each other.
7. Place the bottom edge of the jack on the wheel
blocks, separating them so that the jack is
balanced securely.
8. Attach the jack handle, extension, and wheel
wrench to the jack and place it (with the wheel
blocks) under the vehicle towards the front of the
rear bumper. Position the center lift point of the jack
under the center of the spare tire.
9. Turn the wrench clockwise to raise the jack until it
lifts the end fitting.
10. Continue raising the jack until the spare tire stops
moving upward and is held firmly in place. The
secondary latch has released and the spare tire is
balancing on the jack.

That is from my '04 manual. Basically, there is a secondary latch in the event the cable breaks or (or something like that). After the cable is down a ways you have to push up on the tire to get the latch to release.

http://www.chevrolet...rado_owners.pdf

go to page 5-93 of the link above (the owners manual) and it will show pictures, etc. (its an 09 manual, basically the same procedure though)

:thumbs: Another RTFM moment..... I guess I will read thru that in detail sometime.....
Posted Image
Grumpy Aero Guy
'07 Sierra SLE2, GMT900
20" Wheels
GM Performance Parts CAI
Flowmaster 70 Big Block II
Custom Tune by Johan at DiabloSport
5.3l Iron Block V8, AFM, 4WD
Trailering Package, Skid Plate Package
EGR Vent Visors / CW Boltover Grill

#14 TexasAl

TexasAl

Enthusiast

• 854 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for this guide/info. I just helped my neighbor with lowering his spare tire. It's crazy how hard it was to do.

#15 jscsgrl

jscsgrl

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:20 AM

:thumbs: Another RTFM moment..... I guess I will read thru that in detail sometime.....
[/quote]

My boarder (Freddie as in Freeloader...long story for another time) was lent his company's work truck for the wknd (he's from out of province and hadn't changed his insurance or license over - his plates have expired, and now he can't get insurance as he can't prove his address -or so he sez (insert eye roll here!). Hence the company truck. He drove to see a friend 4 hours away. On the way home, he had a flat and as he couldn't get the spare tire off, he had a nearby farmer take it off with a cutting torch. I had to laugh at the rtfm comment, as he's a bonifide 'know it all', and rarely reads directions in my experience!!! He called in sick today (Monday), so I'm not sure if he was truly not feeling well, or if he was just worried about returning the truck with (maybe it's not, but I'd suspect fairly significant damage to the parts that hold up the spare tire?!!!) Love to be a fly on the wall when he does tell them what happened...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users