Truck Won't Go Into Park

Taking it out of park works fine. Still wouldnt go back in after with the shifter.

I also lost reverse today at lunch. I'm taking a close look later this afternoon.

And now for the resolution...

After lifting the truck up and seeing what was going on, it became apparant that the rod thing that moves back and forth under the truck in sync with the actual shifter inside the truck, had a clip missing and was no longer held in the proper place. My best guess is that it got jammed out of place and/or broken when I dropped the transmission pan when I bought the truck to drain the fluid (what a pain that was...they sure dont make it easy to do that job).

Anyhow...seems as if it was a problem caused by me, and just took several months to show up.

Thanks for all the help!

• 2 years later...
Hey did you ever find a solution? I have the exact problem w/ my 2004 I purchased about 1.5 years ago. Has 87.000 miles and I have noticed a cluncking under my dash / steering column for about 8 months. Did you find a fix

thanks

Jim

You have shifter problems also? If it's just clunking sound with no shifter problems, you need to check the intermediate steering shaft. Also check the lower steering column bearing for play.

ISS

Archived