09 Sierra Sle Fog Lights

My truck did not have the fog lights factory installed. I did the DIC upgrade earlier so I know how easy the switch swap would be and have seen the switch that comes with the fog light kit :

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/GMC/2009/...i1%5Btype%5D=gm

Is the switch plug and play? Is the truck pre-wired for fog lights?

I do have the fog light cut-outs in the bumper but can't find any extra wiring...

My thought is to buy the GM switch and some better after market lights. Comments....?

If I go completely aftermarket is my warranty in any way voided?

I've not seen much wiring on GM's for things which are not there. I would say probably not. The only way to tell what is there or not there would be to get a GM factory electrical diagram for your vehicle and look for various components/wires related to the fog lights.

Sometimes you can get lucky though. I had a car (non-GM) where all I had to add for my fog lights was the switch, the relay, and the lights. All the wiring was already there. But I needed to look at a factory electrical diagram to find the location of the relay (the wire for this was hidden).

Other than that, it is quite common for do-it-yourselfers to install electrical things without taking into account existing circuit amperage, etc. Then have all sorts of problems with fuses blowing and overloaded circuits. I wouldn't expect that they would cover any of these problems.

my truck did not come with factory fogs either. i had my dealer install the OEM fog light kit. when i picked my truck up i was told by the service manager that all the wiring was already there and all they had to do was install the switch and the lights. take this for what it's worth - i was told by the service manager, who was told by the technician who actually worked on my truck. so there's a few degrees of separation there - i never actually saw the wiring with my own eyes.

I would look under near where the fogs go first and see if you have a plug that is not in use. I say this because I had an 04 that I added fogs to and there was nothing there in regards to the harness, switch and relay. On the other hand I have a friend who wants to add fogs to his 06 and the harness is there. All he needs is the relay, switch and lights. So mabye sometime btw 04 and 06 they started making the harness standard. As for the GMT900's I have no idea, I'm just going by past expirence. Both the 900's I have bought I made sure they came w/ fogs only because I knew I wanted them. Hope it works out for ya!

I just instaled my fog lights, that I ordered months ago...damn I'm lazy. bought from the local stealer and the box came with the light switch, fog lights and wiring harness. very easy install. I did have some issues with the fuse panel. It fits together just so and its a tight fit. You also get instuctions...but they are lacking alittle. I also did the DIC upgrade at the same time. now looking at the radio control wheel thingy. I'm an ex gm tech, but this is a piece of cake install. I only wish gm had more owner installs..I think owners would eat it up, I would

duda

the light switch is plug and play....the complete deal is. My truck had no wiring and everyone at the dealer I have looked at di not have the wiring if no lamp were there. order today...they work great and look cool!

The thread I started about this should answer your questions about what wires need to be placed where for the fog lamp circuit to energize: Clicky here!!

The switch is a direct swap. Literally remove your non foglamp equipped switch and install one with the lower lever fog lamp switch enabled. Then follow my pics ( you must be able to view photobucket to see the pics ) to see where the power wire comes from. You have to remove the fuse block under the hood and add a single wire to the appropriate spot on the correct corresponding junction block. The other end of the wire goes to a good ground and you can put any kind of lights you want between the power and ground. The fog light 'light' on the cluster even comes on when you turn the switch on! When your driving lights are on, your taillamps are not. If you turn your foglights on in the daytime, all of your marker lights and taillights come on too.

Anyone know the part number for just the wiring harness on Sierra? I can buy the switch for $41 and get the foglights aftermarket. I can't really figure out why the Sierra kit from GM is so expensive since the bumper is all set to accept it as opposed to the Silverado which needs bumper ends and braces.

Anyone know the part number for just the wiring harness on Sierra? I can buy the switch for $41 and get the foglights aftermarket. I can't really figure out why the Sierra kit from GM is so expensive since the bumper is all set to accept it as opposed to the Silverado which needs bumper ends and braces.

What is the "switch only" part number? Thanks

I went to amazon, for an 09 sierra sle it said i needed. Part # D1527J. I remember reading that the foglights for an 08 sierra are different than the ones for the 09. i guess it holds true for the switch too.

I originally posted this under Rolling's thread, Oops.

Archived