17 replies to this topic

#1 1990ss

1990ss

Enthusiast

• 339 posts
  • Name:Josh
  • Drives:2008 Silverado crew cab Vortec Max

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

My '08 Silverado has the factory trailer brake controller. I've only pulled a trailer once and all the lights worked, but I had no trailer brakes. Put a test light on the plug on the truck and everything worked except the power and electric brakes.

Is there a fuse somewhere that needs to be installed? Has everyone else's worked right from the factory? I figured it would have been ready to go from the factory. Maybe it was a problem with the trailer?
2008 Silverado Vortec Max, LTZ, CCSB, Black/Black, Sunroof, 20's, Side Curtain Air Bags, Power Adj. Pedals, Rear Park Assist, Brushed aluminum interior trim, USB port, Front floor interior lights, RC 2" leveling kit, 2" rear blocks, 275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, LED taillights, LED 3rd brake light, Under rail bed lighting, Ziebart spray-on bedliner, Dynomax dual exhaust, Volant Powercore CAI, Diablo tuned
2008 GMC Acadia, SLT2, Black Carbon Metallic, Ebony/Titainium interior, Nav., HUD, 19's, Dual Sky Scape Sunroofs, Trailering Package
2006 Silverado, RCLB, 4.8L, W/T, Dark Blue Metallic
1997 Silverado, Z71, ECSB, 5.7L, Maroon/Beige

Posted Image

#2 Stevens14

Stevens14

Senior Enthusiast

• 8,226 posts
  • Drives:2014 Silverado Z71 Double Cab 5.3L

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

Do a search, you have to connect it under the hood in order for it to work from what I understand. There's been plenty of photo instructions on how to do it.

336f9a49-39ea-421d-a456-ae7752cdf8e1_zps

Deep Ruby Metallic
2014 Silverado Z71 Double Cab

#3 1990ss

1990ss

Enthusiast

• 339 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

I've tried searching, but really couldn't find any answers. Most of the topics I found were how to hook up an aftermarket controller. I've got the factory intergrated controller. Do I still need to connect wires under the hood to get the brakes to work?
2008 Silverado Vortec Max, LTZ, CCSB, Black/Black, Sunroof, 20's, Side Curtain Air Bags, Power Adj. Pedals, Rear Park Assist, Brushed aluminum interior trim, USB port, Front floor interior lights, RC 2" leveling kit, 2" rear blocks, 275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, LED taillights, LED 3rd brake light, Under rail bed lighting, Ziebart spray-on bedliner, Dynomax dual exhaust, Volant Powercore CAI, Diablo tuned
2008 GMC Acadia, SLT2, Black Carbon Metallic, Ebony/Titainium interior, Nav., HUD, 19's, Dual Sky Scape Sunroofs, Trailering Package

Posted Image

#4 bill190

bill190

Enthusiast

• 728 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

Does the brake controller look like this...

Posted Image

Or look like this...

Posted Image

#5 1990ss

1990ss

Enthusiast

• 339 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:13 AM

It looks like the first picture.

Posted Image

#6 Bluedog

Bluedog

Enthusiast

• 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

No, it should work without hooking anything up - however if you need 12V to the trailer for the brakes to work, you do need to hook up that wire under the hood. It is located under the master cylinder and is hooked up to the small stud under the fuse box cover. If you need help with this I will post the picture instructions.

Couple of questions: Is your trailer electric over hydraulic brakes? If so the IBC won't work without hooking up a couple of magnets in the brake circuit. Also, is the truck ignition off when you hook up the trailer? It needs to be so the computer will see the trailer. Also make sure the 7 way is seating all the way.

If none of these apply / help you need to see the dealer...

#7 1990ss

1990ss

Enthusiast

• 339 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

Do I need power for the brakes to work? I don't think they're hydralic brakes. Also, with a test light on the electric brake pin on the connector in the bumper, and the brake controller lever pressed over, the test light will not light up.

Posted Image

#8 Bluedog

Bluedog

Enthusiast

• 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

And one more thing - the IBC won't show a brake signal with a tester. It has to be hooked up to a load to activate the system. Attached are the instructions for hooking up the 12v trailer power.

Attached File  Installing_Auxiliary_12_Volt_Feed_to_Trailer.pdf   457.4KB   150 downloads

#9 1990ss

1990ss

Enthusiast

• 339 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

Ok, well I don't think I need that wire. What's the wire between the fuse box and the fender? For an aftermarket controller?

Posted Image

#10 pwall

pwall

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,884 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

<snip> Also, is the truck ignition off when you hook up the trailer? It needs to be so the computer will see the trailer. <snip>

Hmm...my '07 doesn't seem to need to be turned off. When I plug my trailer in with the truck running, the DIC will indicate 'TRAILER CONNECTED' and it works fine.
Perhaps the '08s are different.
Patrick.
Posted Image
Black Truck Member # ?? DMax Club Member # ??
RV Forum: http://rv-forums.org

#11 Bluedog

Bluedog

Enthusiast

• 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:12 PM

Ok, well I don't think I need that wire. What's the wire between the fuse box and the fender? For an aftermarket controller?

Yes...

#12 Bluedog

Bluedog

Enthusiast

• 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

<snip> Also, is the truck ignition off when you hook up the trailer? It needs to be so the computer will see the trailer. <snip>

Hmm...my '07 doesn't seem to need to be turned off. When I plug my trailer in with the truck running, the DIC will indicate 'TRAILER CONNECTED' and it works fine.
Perhaps the '08s are different.

I can get away with not turning the ignition off about half the time. It will work everytime if I connect with the ignition off though.

Edited by Bluedog, 08 June 2009 - 10:15 PM.

#13 pagerboy

pagerboy

Enthusiast

• 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:33 AM

If the trailer is not connected I don't think it will show power. Mine was connected but the 12v was not. Did you check if there was a fuse?

#14 tfranks76

tfranks76

Enthusiast

• 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

I have connected the wire to power it..... I have a tri-axle trailer with electric brakes and it does not show up.... Please help!!

#15 oldschool327

oldschool327

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,144 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

Is it still under warranty?
2007 GMC Sierra Ext Cab SLE-2 Z-71 4X4:
Sure it's stock...some just call it plain!

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users