Oil Filter: Wix Vs. Mobil 1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mossyoakglock

Mossyoakglock

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,039 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

I searched and it seems that both Wix/NAPA Gold and Mobil 1 are suggested filters. I currently use Mobil1 5w-30 in my 08 Silverado with a Mobil1 filter, but I am thinking about going to a Wix at my next oil change. I'm not sure if it really matters between the two filters, but is one filter better than the othe when running Mobil1 oil? Should I stick with the Mobil1 or go with the Wix? Are their filter capabilities equal? The Wix is quite a bit cheaper than the Mobil1 and if it filters just as good or better, then I'm gonna go with that one.

Thanks guys.
2008 Silverado CrewCab 4x4 - Greystone Metallic.
Pace Edwards JackRabbit
Line-x
Corsa Touring
M.I.T Airaid Tube
RC Leveling kit
WeatherTech Floor liners

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride.”

#2 stadt11

stadt11

www.LMGTFY.com

• 1,562 posts
  • Drives:2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L Crew

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

Wix filters (alternative to AMSOIL filters for their XL motor oil) are rated at 7500 miles or 6-months, which ever comes first. I'm guessing you're using Mobil 1 and not Mobil 1 Extended & you're suppose to change the filter with every oil change, which is b/w 5-7k miles I'm guessing, since the Wix filter also has that range and it's cheaper I'd go with Wix.

#3 plainvanilla

plainvanilla

Enthusiast

• 508 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

I searched and it seems that both Wix/NAPA Gold and Mobil 1 are suggested filters. I currently use Mobil1 5w-30 in my 08 Silverado with a Mobil1 filter, but I am thinking about going to a Wix at my next oil change. I'm not sure if it really matters between the two filters, but is one filter better than the othe when running Mobil1 oil? Should I stick with the Mobil1 or go with the Wix? Are their filter capabilities equal? The Wix is quite a bit cheaper than the Mobil1 and if it filters just as good or better, then I'm gonna go with that one.

Thanks guys.

the answer to your question is determined by how many miles you drive between drains
Posted Image

2007 Silverado Classic, Vent Shades, Undercover Bed cover, Husky Liners. Rhino Liner, Manik Taillight Guards, K&N Filters
2004 Suburban 2500 4X4

Yes I have a truck.. and NO I won't help you move!

#4 plainvanilla

plainvanilla

Enthusiast

• 508 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

Thanks guys.

the answer to your question is determined by how many miles you drive between drains

here is some good information for you about the Mobil 1 Filters and if you should be using them Link here

in the interest of disclosure, I work for a Mobil Distributor and I run my truck up to 10.000 miles on 5W30 Mobil 1 and I do use the Mobil 1 filters.
I have seen cut aways in training and I am convinced
on the other hand if you are only going 5-7 thousand or so, you might consider a standard filter.
Just stay away from store house brands. We are seeing some of these imported from Asia and the quality is horrible

Edited by plainvanilla, 12 June 2009 - 12:16 PM.

Posted Image

2007 Silverado Classic, Vent Shades, Undercover Bed cover, Husky Liners. Rhino Liner, Manik Taillight Guards, K&N Filters
2004 Suburban 2500 4X4

#5 Mossyoakglock

Mossyoakglock

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,039 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

I'm using M1 and go about 7,000 miles between changes. So if I used M1, then I should go with the Wix. But, if I go with the M1 Extended Performance, should I stick with the M1 filter or still go with the Wix?

Also, if I start using the Extended Performance, how long can I go between changes?
2008 Silverado CrewCab 4x4 - Greystone Metallic.
Pace Edwards JackRabbit
Line-x
Corsa Touring
M.I.T Airaid Tube
RC Leveling kit
WeatherTech Floor liners

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride.”

#6 plainvanilla

plainvanilla

Enthusiast

• 508 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

I'm using M1 and go about 7,000 miles between changes. So if I used M1, then I should go with the Wix. But, if I go with the M1 Extended Performance, should I stick with the M1 filter or still go with the Wix?

Also, if I start using the Extended Performance, how long can I go between changes?

Mobil 1 EP is engineered for 15,000 mile drains. read here for details

If you want to run around 7000 miles and still us Mobil 1, I don't think you need to spend the money for the M1 Filter..
Posted Image

2004 Suburban 2500 4X4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users