2008 Silverado Power Door Lock Actuator Failed

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAl

TexasAl

Enthusiast

• 854 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:04 AM

Well, I read some posts about several people having problems with their power door lock actuator. I though I'd start a thread to keep an eye on this. My truck is a 2008 Silverado Crew Cab. It currently has 34,000 miles on it. The Passengers side door actuator stopped working yesterday. I'm headed to the dealer on Wed. to get it looked at, and hopefully replaced. Feel free if you have had any problems related to the door lock actuator. Thanks!

Al

#2 1990ss

1990ss

Enthusiast

• 339 posts
  • Name:Josh
  • Drives:2008 Silverado crew cab Vortec Max

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

My '08's driver's door lock actuator quit working 2 weeks ago. Truck had 8,500 miles. Replaced under warranty. Dealer said they have been replacing alot of these.
2008 Silverado Vortec Max, LTZ, CCSB, Black/Black, Sunroof, 20's, Side Curtain Air Bags, Power Adj. Pedals, Rear Park Assist, Brushed aluminum interior trim, USB port, Front floor interior lights, RC 2" leveling kit, 2" rear blocks, 275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, LED taillights, LED 3rd brake light, Under rail bed lighting, Ziebart spray-on bedliner, Dynomax dual exhaust, Volant Powercore CAI, Diablo tuned
2008 GMC Acadia, SLT2, Black Carbon Metallic, Ebony/Titainium interior, Nav., HUD, 19's, Dual Sky Scape Sunroofs, Trailering Package
2006 Silverado, RCLB, 4.8L, W/T, Dark Blue Metallic
1997 Silverado, Z71, ECSB, 5.7L, Maroon/Beige

Posted Image

#3 glacked

glacked

Enthusiast

• 140 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

08 Sierra Crew - Two weeks ago mine died. About two weeks before it died, I noticed a few times it would fail to unlock when I was inside. I felt it might be me as I'm quick to try and open a door as I put it in park - bad work habit. Never failed to unlock from outside with the fob until it died completely.

I've yet to take it to the dealer as I've had no time as of late. I hope to take it that way within the week.
Posted Image

#4 Matt_

Matt_

Senior Enthusiast

• 5,108 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

08 sierra crew.

About 3 weeks ago my drivers front actuator stopped working. Truck was 7 months old with 6000 miles.

Dealer replaced under warranty.
When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
Sig550x200_zpsfce041b6.jpg
2007 Jeep Commander 5.7L Hemi: Pics Here
2008 GMC Sierra Denali AWD (SOLD):Pics Here
2005 1500 Crew Cab. 8" lift w/37s (SOLD): Pics Here

#5 Tsmith

Tsmith

Enthusiast

• 300 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

My '96 Honda Accord went through 10 door actuators in 5 years. Oddly it was different ones each time and after the last one was replaced they never failed again. Just traded that car off.

My wife's '02 Jeep Liberty has already been through 3 door window motors. Heck they hardly ever get used, maybe that's the problem.

Edited by Tsmith, 16 June 2009 - 11:51 AM.

Posted Image

GM Oil Life System (OLS) and Simplified Maintenance Schedule < read the pdf

#6 TexasAl

TexasAl

Enthusiast

• 854 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:37 AM

I have an appointment this morning. I'll let you guys know what happens. Mine started working, so the dealer might be a jerk and not replace it. Hopefully they don't give me a hard time about it.

#7 mato

mato

Enthusiast

• 384 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:03 PM

Had mine replaced on the drivers side door when the truck was about 6 months old, got a free oil change and tire rotation out of it too
2008 Silverado Z71 4x4 Ext Cab 5.3L
Chrome Westin Platinum Side Steps l WeatherTech Floorliners l Husky GearBox Underseat Storage l WeatherTech Rain Guards l aFe Pro-Dry S Air Filter l GM Molded Splash Guards l WeatherTech Bug Deflector l DualLiner l G4 Elite Fold-A-Cover Tonneau l GMPP Sport Exhaust l LT2 Console l ReadyLift 1.5" Leveling Kit l BFG T/A KO 275/65/18 l Custom BlackBear Tune

#8 Bikinjohn

Bikinjohn

Enthusiast

• 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

My 08 Tahoe did it. Rear driver's side lock. Warranty replaced it. Clearly this is an issue of poor quality parts that GM will keep replacing untill your warranty runs out. I wonder if any companies will make a better quality one so when we have to replace it after the warranty is up, we'll only have to do it once.

#9 dayday

dayday

Enthusiast

• 106 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

08 Sierra Crew - Two weeks ago mine died. About two weeks before it died, I noticed a few times it would fail to unlock when I was inside. I felt it might be me as I'm quick to try and open a door as I put it in park - bad work habit. Never failed to unlock from outside with the fob until it died completely.

I've yet to take it to the dealer as I've had no time as of late. I hope to take it that way within the week.

Identical story/truck here (@8K miles on it when it happened).... mines been dead now for months, just too busy to have it in the shop.
2008 GMC Sierra CC Z71
2002 Pontiac GP GT
1998 Pontiac GP GTP - T67 IC'd Turbo

#10 pritch55

pritch55

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

I recently had my driver side rear door actuator replaced. The part had to be ordered and the service adviser said that it was on national backorder, because it wasn't in stock it required a additional trip back to the dealer. If the actuator was in fact on backorder this just shows how many problems GM is having with them.

#11 TexasAl

TexasAl

Enthusiast

• 854 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

We'll I took my truck in a 8 am, and they said they would call me when it was done. 6 pm came, and no call. I called them up, and they where gone for the day. It's not really a big deal, since I am off work, but it would have been nice if they had called me and asked if they could keep it overnight. I am going to be very upset if they tell me they didn't replace the actuators or some other lame story. I hope they at least have the parts in stock, and I don't have to wait for them to get ordered. Yeah. I did a search using google and advanced search of gm-trucks,and I found a lot more people with problems with the actuators for the NBS trucks on this site. Apparently, it is common for all four actuators to go bad. So far, I only asked them to replace the front two door lock actuators. I'll keep you guys posted.

#12 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

I recently had my driver side rear door actuator replaced. The part had to be ordered and the service adviser said that it was on national backorder, because it wasn't in stock it required a additional trip back to the dealer. If the actuator was in fact on backorder this just shows how many problems GM is having with them.

GM also has a safety issue with the brake lights in the 07-08 GMT900s, part number 25991704 is the replacement, but it's been on backorder for at least 2 months. Get this, the lights turn off when you have the brakes applied! Ya, this is a little off topic, but just showing that the backorder issue is around for other parts that should have higher priority due to safety. It seems either everyone has either gotten this fixed some time ago or they don't care to fix it.
/rant
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#13 jbannick18

jbannick18

Enthusiast

• 261 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:00 PM

Just had my replaced a week ago, the truck had around 14k on it.
2007 Silverado LT Ext. Cab, 4.8l V8.

#14 TexasAl

TexasAl

Enthusiast

• 854 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

I got both front actuators replaced at the dealer. They said that they've had their share of problems actuators in the new body style trucks. I talked to the manager about getting the seats covers replaced, and they are going to get approval from their regional manager to get some leather seats put in for me. I'm going to provide the leather material. I hope the regional manager isn't a jerk about it.

#15 Tex-Mex

Tex-Mex

El Vato mas Loco

• 2,092 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

My '96 Honda Accord went through 10 door actuators in 5 years. Oddly it was different ones each time and after the last one was replaced they never failed again. Just traded that car off.

My wife's '02 Jeep Liberty has already been through 3 door window motors. Heck they hardly ever get used, maybe that's the problem.

IT WAS ACTUALLY THE REGULATORS THERE T NOT THE MOTORS
Posted Image
2006 Sierra 5.3L
Current mods-accessories:Flowmaster 40-series SI-DO/K&N drop-in filter/Rhino Liner/35%Tint

Planned mods-accessories:True duals/Air-Raid MIT Intake Tube/'Vette Servo/Blackbear Tune/Lowering Kit/Bed Cover of some sort/Antenna Delete
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nobody can make you feel nferior without your permission--Eleanor Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users