2008 Silverado Power Door Lock Actuator Failed

Looking forward to a how-to....I noticed my driver's side door is getting lazy, not always opening for me when I put it in Park. Of course, it only started doing this now: 36,600 miles.

Bastard. :thumbs:

So if its getting lazy, it IS the actuator, right? I would have thought its either that it works or not... Like i posted above sometimes the key fob will unlock the door, and sometimes not. Really has me concerned it may be another issue, but the lights flash and everything like its supposed to... I dunno........

Yours is acting just like mine was. The dealer changed the actuators and everythings works as it should now.

Dam, both mine have been getting lazy as well. I guess I'm glad to know its only the actuator and not something more significant but @ 42,000miles there is no way they should be dieing. Has anyone had them covered under the 100k warranty?

All four of mine are bad on my 08 crew cab. I replaced the front passenger side last weekend. Bought the part at the local dealer... $124.95!!!! They wanted $150.00 to put it in. It took a couple of hours for this first one... the rest should take about an hour. Not fun...but not bad.

I have contacted GM... they are supposed to call today between 1 & 3 P.M. ... WAITING! I'll post what they say. WE ALL need to write in and complain...obviously this is a real problem. :thumbs:

Danka. :thumbs:

I guess your truck is out of warranty? All 4 of mine were changed out yesterday under warranty.

Ha! Yep... I got a GOOD truck! Mine lasted until about 40K miles!!! I'm lucky! :thumbs:

Actually, I am lucky!!! My dealer is replacing the three bad ones that are left on Monday FREE OF CHARGE! As I said before, I contacted GM direct... they called yesterday and wanted me to take the truck to the dealer so they could "See" that the actuators were bad. I did that this morning. An hour or so ago, the dealership called and said "Bring it in"!!! GUESS WHERE I"M BUYING MY NEXT VEHICLE!!!! I can't complain about this!!

I'm sure at some point there will be a recall. I suggest ANYONE having actuator problems contact GM direct as I did. I don't think the dealer can really do this for free to the customer without the factory blessing. Good luck to all!!! Dan.

All four of mine are bad on my 08 crew cab. I replaced the front passenger side last weekend. Bought the part at the local dealer... $124.95!!!! They wanted $150.00 to put it in. It took a couple of hours for this first one... the rest should take about an hour. Not fun...but not bad.

I have contacted GM... they are supposed to call today between 1 & 3 P.M. ... WAITING! I'll post what they say. WE ALL need to write in and complain...obviously this is a real problem. :thumbs:

Danka. :thumbs:

I guess your truck is out of warranty? All 4 of mine were changed out yesterday under warranty.

Ha! Yep... I got a GOOD truck! Mine lasted until about 40K miles!!! I'm lucky! :thumbs:

Actually, I am lucky!!! My dealer is replacing the three bad ones that are left on Monday FREE OF CHARGE! As I said before, I contacted GM direct... they called yesterday and wanted me to take the truck to the dealer so they could "See" that the actuators were bad. I did that this morning. An hour or so ago, the dealership called and said "Bring it in"!!! GUESS WHERE I"M BUYING MY NEXT VEHICLE!!!! I can't complain about this!!

I'm sure at some point there will be a recall. I suggest ANYONE having actuator problems contact GM direct as I did. I don't think the dealer can really do this for free to the customer without the factory blessing. Good luck to all!!! Dan.

Could you post the contact info you used for GM? It would probably help everyone to get in touch with the same place.

Just had the rear door/passenger side one replaced at 25k miles and the drivers side front door went at about 15k miles. Both replaced under warranty. :thumbs:

oh man....

I thought I was alone with this problem.....

My 2008 Sierra acted up at about 9000 miles... the locks were 'iffy' but when I took it to

the dealer, they behaved (of course). Now at 40K miles my driver door lock jumps a bit

but will no lock or unlock. I have extended warranty but not probably worth the effort

to check on deductible and time involved taking it in and waiting or dropping off.

So I am fully capable of doing a door disassembly, but how painful is the actuator to replace?

Is there anywhere on GM (web or phone) to in general complain about stuff like this.

Not that they will do anything.

Edited by LesF

Normally, I'd say this is a pretty benign problem: Power door lock actuator: Replace it. Annoying, but not a painful problem (Like my jeeps leaking roof).

But, I wonder about taking the door panels off so frequently: It must eventually lead to rattles and squeaks... Are the door clips/pins easily replaced too???

And after the warranty runs out, somebody like me would have a hard time to fix it in the winter, with no garage. The bitter cold would make the plastic fragile, no? And I can imagine it being difficult to do in a snow storm. I can't imagine having to use my key to get in all the time! It's been years!!! (I leave the jeep's doors unlocked.... The plastic windows are a ~$400 replacement: Nothing in the jeep costs more than $100... let them open the door and steal what they want, just dont slash my windows!!!)

I have contacted GM... they are supposed to call today between 1 & 3 P.M. ... WAITING! I'll post what they say. WE ALL need to write in and complain...obviously this is a real problem. :)

Danka. :chevy:

Ha! Yep... I got a GOOD truck! Mine lasted until about 40K miles!!! I'm lucky! :seeya:

Could you post the contact info you used for GM? It would probably help everyone to get in touch with the same place.

Here is the link to the page where I sent an e-mail. http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/mds/helpcenter/contactUs.do# Click on the "E-mail Chevrolet" link and fill out the form.

The LONG way here is to go to the GM.COM site... north America, USA... then at the bottom of the page is "Contact US"... that will get you to the page above. It only took one e-mail... I then had a call...went to my dealer... received a call about two hours later saying "Bring it in"... The truck is in the shop as I type this.

This is about a $900.00 freebie from GM. My truck has 47K on it, they sure didn't have to fix it. They wanted $125.00 for the part... and $150 labor per door!!! It was just too steep not to try. I encourage anyone having the problem to contact GM or their dealer about having this fixed. Good Luck to all. Danka.

oh man....

I thought I was alone with this problem.....

My 2008 Sierra acted up at about 9000 miles... the locks were 'iffy' but when I took it to

the dealer, they behaved (of course). Now at 40K miles my driver door lock jumps a bit

but will no lock or unlock. I have extended warranty but not probably worth the effort

to check on deductible and time involved taking it in and waiting or dropping off.

So I am fully capable of doing a door disassembly, but how painful is the actuator to replace?

Is there anywhere on GM (web or phone) to in general complain about stuff like this.

Not that they will do anything.

Les, Go read my previous postings. Mine all went bad on my 08 Crew. My truck has 47K on it asn as I type this they are fixing them for free... Read my posts. But... in case you can't find them, here is the link to the e-mail page... http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/mds/helpcenter/contactUs.do

I fixed one of mine... it isn't hard but here, the part is $125.00. They wanted $150.00 labor. The part cost is why I decided to see if I could get them to fix the actuators.

Just take the door panel off, Unplug the switch panel for the windosw and locks... etc and release the cable from the doorhandle going to the latch so you can get to the inner cover. A pair of 90 degree needle nose is nearly a must!!! If you are easy with taking the inner cover off... it will seal right back to the door when you are finished. Once you have the inner panel peeled back, just reach in and open the yellow plastic piece that holds onto the outer door handle rod... then remove the three screws on the door jam to remove the latch/ actuator assembly. Once loose, its 20 minutes and you are going back together with the unit. It took me about an hour to do it... I hope this helps you out. ... Ha! They just called and mine are done and ready to pick up the truck.

Good luck with yours. Dan

I found the equivalent contact page on GMC site. Filled out form and got a phone call back in a few hours.. Problem is that I am past warranty and the most they could offer was to send me to dealer to verify that it is the actuator (duh), they said the dealer may or may not charge to verify this. Then they would contact GMC to see if GMC is willing to do anything for me.

To me its not worth the effort on something that may or may not cost and I still may not get anything out of it. For the amount of time and effort I would put out its cheaper to order an actuator and do it myself

I at least filed a complaint about the door locks for what its worth and told the guy on the phone that its not just me and they have a quality problem but he stuck to his canned responses.

I found the equivalent contact page on GMC site. Filled out form and got a phone call back in a few hours.. Problem is that I am past warranty and the most they could offer was to send me to dealer to verify that it is the actuator (duh), they said the dealer may or may not charge to verify this. Then they would contact GMC to see if GMC is willing to do anything for me.

To me its not worth the effort on something that may or may not cost and I still may not get anything out of it. For the amount of time and effort I would put out its cheaper to order an actuator and do it myself

I at least filed a complaint about the door locks for what its worth and told the guy on the phone that its not just me and they have a quality problem but he stuck to his canned responses.

Maybe it'd be worth a try to the local dealership's repair manager. Tell him the situation, and see what he says? It's only one extra phone call....

Thanks Matt! Got them ordered! I plan on doing a tutorial of the install as well as a teardown of the old ones to see if it's possible to repair them.

Well I got the driver's front done tonight... and it WORKS! :uhoh: I plan on getting the tutorial up tomorrow. If I have time at work tomorrow I will also start the dissection of the old broken actuator. Stay tuned...

Driver side out at 36175 miles. Could this be a saftey hazard as now I can remote start the truck with the door still unlocked?

On the good side the dealer said they would cover me, this time. Got to wait on parts. Going in Thursday.

It looks like we all need to swap out the actuators every other time we change the oil just to be on the safe side.

You would think I would at least wear out a set of tires before the door locks started going.

Can't wait to see the tutorial. Something I deffinetly need to learn how to do myself.

Great site, thanks for all of the info from everybody.

Is it just me, or is GM's supplier of electronics junk? My 1999 had door actuator issues as well: 3 times on the passenger, twice on the driver in 8 years. The power window motors failed twice on the passenger side, as did the power mirror motor on the driver side. Both heating elements in the mirrors were replaced at year 2 (driver) and year 4 (passenger). Then there was the gauge cluster: I lost the digital odometer a few times: But at least they were "kind" enough to knock 1000 miles off my truck (I didn't ask for it... it just happened that way... but I didn't complain).

Makes me wonder if a Chevy volt is really the kind of car chevy is ready to market!!! :thumbs:

Well I got the driver's front done tonight... and it WORKS! :( I plan on getting the tutorial up tomorrow. If I have time at work tomorrow I will also start the dissection of the old broken actuator. Stay tuned...

Can't wait to see the write-up!