08 Sierra 7 Way Trailer Plug Problem

I hooked up my brake controller and added the 7 way RV plug in the bed. When I plugged up to the RV the Reverse Lights on the truck came on and stayed on. All the other functions work fine, tail lights, brake lights, blinkers, and hazards.

Any Ideas to why the reverse lights come on?

Thanks

I hooked up my brake controller and added the 7 way RV plug in the bed. When I plugged up to the RV the Reverse Lights on the truck came on and stayed on. All the other functions work fine, tail lights, brake lights, blinkers, and hazards.

Any Ideas to why the reverse lights come on?

Thanks

Did you add the 7-way plug yourself? My best guess is that the wrong wire is going to the reverse light pin. Something i back feeding voltage to the reverse lights.

Yes, I installed it myself. It's not my first install of the 7 way plugs but is my first on the new body styles. Does anyone have a wire diagram for the truck side? The one in the (How To) section is not correct.

Wire colors are ... If I remember correctly are

White

Blue

Red/Black

Light green

Dark green

Yellow

Brown

As far as the pins on the 7-way plug, they are a standard configuration regardless of the manufacturer. The center pin should be the backup lamps.

Black is usually the color for a ground wire.

Yes, I installed it myself. It's not my first install of the 7 way plugs but is my first on the new body styles. Does anyone have a wire diagram for the truck side? The one in the (How To) section is not correct.

Wire colors are ... If I remember correctly are

White

Blue

Red/Black

Light green

Dark green

Yellow

Brown

Here's a pic I took of the plug on my 08 silverado because I had a problem,this is where the truck plugs in to the bumper

post-63332-1245280353_thumb.jpg

By the way... The wire colors on the truck are not necessarily the same colors on the female truck plug. And the trailer male plug wires can be even different from those!

So you can have 3 different sets of wire colors and what they are for. So you especially need to have a wiring diagram for the female jack on the truck, a wiring diagram for the truck wiring, and a wiring daigram for the male trailer plug.

Or use a multimeter to see what each wire is doing, where it is located on the jack/plug.

Example: Step on brakes, see which wires suddenly gets 12 volts.

Diagram...

7Way_Blade_Plug_Car_End.jpg

Archived