Converting 7 Pin To 4 Pin Trailer Wiring

Hey GM-truck guys,

I want to start off by saying this site is awesome. Tons of great information.

I have done a ton of searching on here and I think I could possibly do this by the diagrams givin, but I was wondering if someone could just tell me exactly what to hook up where.....I bought all the parts and wire to make a pig tail for my 2009 Silverado. I do have the trailering package. I have a 7 pin plug to go in the truck, I have a 2 foot piece of wire, and I have a 4 pin flat for the trailer. Can anyone tell me what wires hook up where and what wires to leave untouched???

Should I need to hook up any fuses or wires under the hood?

As reference what is some good fuses to keep with the truck for long trailering?

Thanks for any and all help!!!! You guys rock!!!! I have my D.I.C. ordered and im so happy I can add it after I read around on this board. (Cant wait to play with my dic) :thumbs:

I just bought the $5 adaptor from Walmart

Just like this one

7Way to 4Way

I use the adaptor as well (kept it when I traded the Jeep in). I would much rather use one of these then get into the wiring of a brand new truck.

I do have one trailer that the wiring is not long enough to reach the adaptor so I bought one of these as well.

Wire Extension 12"

I should have just bought that adapter, but I bought all the pieces to make one instead, I may just take it all back and get that. Unless someone can tell me how to just wire this thing, what wires needed and what not. I like the idea that it will be longer the way I want to make it too. I have the two plugs two foot of wire. I will probably just get out the volt meter and do it manually?

Im not messing with the truck wiring, im making a pigtail to convert 7 to 4 - Im keeping the 7 pin on the truck as factory.

Thanks,

Brad

The 4 Pin plug does not have a provision for Back-Up Lights

Left Turn/ Stop

Right Turn/ Stop

Tail/Running Lights

Ground

But on the 7 Way its the yellow wire/terminal that is the Back-Up Lights

Take the hit or return the stuff you bought. In the end, the 7 to 4 adapter will work better than the wiring that you are going to fab up. Good luck.

If he's good with a soldering iron and everything, he should be able to make a pretty good one.

Archived