- - - - -

Door Hinge Pin And Bushing Replacement On 1991 Sub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blackbart

• 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:37 AM

Hi All,

I am getting ready to replace the hinge pins and bushings on my 1991 suburban. As you know, the Sub still had the 73-87 old style body.

I have the pins and bushings, and am a pretty good mechanic, but was hoping to get some tips from those that may have been down this road before.

Looking at the set-up, it looks like I will have to unbolt the door from the hinge in order to have enough clearance to pull the top pin out.

If you have done this, is this indeed necessary? I would really like to not have to un mount the door from the hinge to avoid having to re-align the door and go that process.

The other thing, is that due to the "crimp" on the end of the OEM pins, it looks like I will have to cut the pins in half in order to drive them out. Is this the only way to go here?

Any thoughts or advise would be most welcome!!

#2 Mike G

Mike G

• 607 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

I did this on my 92, once... To be honest, if you know someone in the body shop business, they are the best. A lot of experience there and the cost of the parts is all that is about required to get it taken care of. I would tap into some body repair manuals at the library for sources of info (that's the route I usually go).
Just my $.02's --Mike
06 2500HD Crew Shorty 4x with the 6.6 LBZ turbo diesel beast and 6 Speed Ally
02 Avalanche (wife's driver)--Front leveled and 285s look sweet!
92 GMC K1500 Z71--Refreshed warmed 5.7L at 190K (sold 5/5/11 to an excited neighbor)
(02 F350 Crew Dually 7.3L PS Diesel - the #1 sons)

Dirt Bike-Street Bike-Two classic vehicles-5.7l Boat-32 Ft 5th wheel-Too much other stuff to fit in my sig

White truck club member? - I own it....