Transmission Overfill...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BowTieDude

BowTieDude

Enthusiast

• 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:31 AM

So, I had a transmission shop in my area do a fluid and filter change on my truck (2000 Silverado, 5.3 & 4l60e). Then, a couple days later I checked the fluid level and it's overfilled. If I perform the cold check as outlined in the manual, it's about a half inch above the top of the HOT fill area on the dipstick (keep in mind the trans is cold at this point). If I do the check when the trans is hot, it's about an inch and a half above the HOT area. How bad is this for the trans do you think? Should I try to remove some fluid? I have called the shop and they said they don't go by the dipstick. That they know how much fluid every pan holds, and thats what they put back in when they service one, and not to worry about what the dipstick shows. What should I do?
2000 Chevy Silverado X-Cab Z71 LT 5.3 V8
1997 Chevy Lumina LS 3.1 V6
1996 Chevy Blazer 4x2 4.3 V6
1992 Pontiac Grand Am 3.3 V6

#2 rev353

rev353

Enthusiast

• Validating
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

Bring it back to them. You should of done that the first time you checked it, it's there job and they are human. Very short term it should not do any damage

#3 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,185 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

Bring it back to them. You should of done that the first time you checked it, it's there job and they are human. Very short term it should not do any damage

+1

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#4 Draenor

Draenor

I'm offsetting your carbon credits!!!!!

• 3,605 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

+1

+ another

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#5 DBVille

DBVille

Enthusiast

• 170 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

Go by the dpistick, and only the dipstick. They are human, and could easily overfill it, especially from a drum, or think this takes 8 quarts, when it takes 6 or whatever. GM went to a lot of trouble to get that dipstick right for hot and cold temps, and it has been working right for 30 years. Check it after running at high speeds, and I bet you will see some foam on it. Foam is bad for transmissions (and engines).

Like everyone else said....take it back to the shop.
----------------------------------------------
DBVille
2005 Suburban 2500
Birmingham, AL
----------------------------------------------

#6 Fyrcaptain

Fyrcaptain

Enthusiast

• 314 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

EVERYTHING on a vehicle is engineered, from the smallest most insignificant item
to the most complex system........including the dipstick!

The don't pay any attention to the dipstick was pretty lame and a blatant blow off....

Take it back.......

Edited by Fyrcaptain, 23 June 2009 - 05:24 PM.

2006 Yukon Denali XL Sport Red / Gray

#7 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

EVERYTHING on a vehicle is engineered, from the smallest most insignificant item
to the most complex system........including the dipstick!

The don't pay any attention to the dipstick was pretty lame and a blatant blow off....

Take it back.......

Threadjack (for a moment):

Ok, so who do I get to bitch to for the stupid integrated hitch in the 900s? or the revised headlight housing design (when changing a headlight) or AFM? These things seem to be engineered to function with a purpose, yet to the common man, when it comes to towing with the 900 that have that hitch integrated, that is a tall hitch receiver. Or when a headlight busts (or if I want to install HIDs), that is frustrating. And AFM?!?!: useless crap so much that they should have put all their money in VVT from the start.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread :thumbs:

Edited by M. Cueva, 23 June 2009 - 05:38 PM.

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#8 2005LT

2005LT

Enthusiast

• 881 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

What's wrong exactly with the hitch on the 900s Mike? My receiver is pretty much in the same spot as my 2005 Silverado :thumbs:
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Ext. Cab, Std. Bed 4x4
6.0L, 6-speed auto, 3.73, Carbon Black Metallic -- Garage Link
Posted Image

#9 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,118 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

I would not go back to them to correct the transmission fluid level. I would use a suction plastic pump with about 3 ft of clear vinyl tubing attached (you can buy them for about $ 6 in an auto parts store) to suck some fluid out of the dipstick tube. Otherwise, some dipstick in that place will loosen the transmission oil pan to drain some fluid and your gasket will then leak.

Edited by pm26, 23 June 2009 - 07:11 PM.

#10 Jasonsupafly

Jasonsupafly

Enthusiast

• 393 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

+1 pm26

#11 2005LT

2005LT

Enthusiast

• 881 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:24 PM

Yeah, good point Pete. It wouldn't be too hard to pull some of the fluid out that way. Just keep pulling out 1/4 qt at a time till the level is right.
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Ext. Cab, Std. Bed 4x4
6.0L, 6-speed auto, 3.73, Carbon Black Metallic -- Garage Link
Posted Image

#12 ujtruck

ujtruck

Enthusiast

• 514 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Drives:2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD duramax 6.6 diesel turbo

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

So, I had a transmission shop in my area do a fluid and filter change on my truck (2000 Silverado, 5.3 & 4l60e). Then, a couple days later I checked the fluid level and it's overfilled. If I perform the cold check as outlined in the manual, it's about a half inch above the top of the HOT fill area on the dipstick (keep in mind the trans is cold at this point). If I do the check when the trans is hot, it's about an inch and a half above the HOT area. How bad is this for the trans do you think? Should I try to remove some fluid? I have called the shop and they said they don't go by the dipstick. That they know how much fluid every pan holds, and thats what they put back in when they service one, and not to worry about what the dipstick shows. What should I do?

I over fill mine about half inch - ran almost a year - no issue so far thanks GOD, factory gave me the truck with very low (no oil - dip stick wasn't touching the oil level) tranny oil - and made lots of nosie / virbration etc. since its over fill they 're gone. :thumbs:

gr_chug.gif

#13 ujtruck

ujtruck

Enthusiast

• 514 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Drives:2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD duramax 6.6 diesel turbo

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:37 PM

do what pete says, you'd be fine

Thanks for the tip Pete (pm26).

gr_chug.gif

#14 BowTieDude

BowTieDude

Enthusiast

• 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

I would not go back to them to correct the transmission fluid level. I would use a suction plastic pump with about 3 ft of clear vinyl tubing attached (you can buy them for about $ 6 in an auto parts store) to suck some fluid out of the dipstick tube. Otherwise, some dipstick in that place will loosen the transmission oil pan to drain some fluid and your gasket will then leak.

Yeah, I'm so disgusted with the place at this point that I really don't want them touching the truck again. That's a great idea about sucking the fluid out the dipstick tube! I actually bought one of those siphon kits for a $1 at a local tool sale when they were in town a while back. Now if I can just find where I put it, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by BowTieDude, 23 June 2009 - 10:39 PM.

2000 Chevy Silverado X-Cab Z71 LT 5.3 V8
1997 Chevy Lumina LS 3.1 V6
1996 Chevy Blazer 4x2 4.3 V6
1992 Pontiac Grand Am 3.3 V6

#15 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:42 AM

What's wrong exactly with the hitch on the 900s Mike? My receiver is pretty much in the same spot as my 2005 Silverado :thumbs:

Sorry Peter, I should have clarified to the Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV. The way that those hitch receivers are integrated into the bumper makes for a damn clean look but they are too high in comparison to the 900 series trucks.

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here