Map Sensor

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 noahraysanders

noahraysanders

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

What would a bad Map sensor cause my engine to do? I have a 2002 silverado 5.3 liter

#2 KYoutback

KYoutback

Enthusiast

• 260 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

What would a bad Map sensor cause my engine to do? I have a 2002 silverado 5.3 liter

It would cause your NAV unit to take you to incorrect destinations. (Sorry couldn't resist)

I think you mean MAF sensor. And when mine needed cleaning it caused an occasional stutter in the engine like a misfire. Cleaned it and it's been fine ever since. There may be other symptoms as well.
Posted Image

#3 Draenor

Draenor

I'm offsetting your carbon credits!!!!!

• 3,605 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

The engine would run rough. It would also run poor under a load, since the ECM cannot see the vacuum it will not advance(or retard) timing.

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#4 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

It would cause your NAV unit to take you to incorrect destinations. (Sorry couldn't resist)

I think you mean MAF sensor. And when mine needed cleaning it caused an occasional stutter in the engine like a misfire. Cleaned it and it's been fine ever since. There may be other symptoms as well.

There's a MAP (manifold air pressure) and a MAF (mass air flow) sensor. I'm not sure what a bad MAP sensor would do, but it sounds like John answered that.
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#5 KYoutback

KYoutback

Enthusiast

• 260 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:29 PM

There's a MAP (manifold air pressure) and a MAF (mass air flow) sensor. I'm not sure what a bad MAP sensor would do, but it sounds like John answered that.

My apologies. It just jumped out at me and I went with it.
Posted Image

#6 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

Just trying to help out.
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau

#7 noahraysanders

noahraysanders

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

Just trying to help out.

its just that my rpms surge when im driving 40-50 mph and someone told me it could be my map sensor. i just replaced my knock sensors and while i was in there i cleaned my map sensor with brake fluid to see if that would help but engine is still surging.. no one on this site has been able to figure it out.

#8 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:21 PM

I don't think brake fluid is the right thing to use on the MAP sensor, or MAF for that matter. It may be toast.
Posted Image

#9 2500sierra

2500sierra

Enthusiast

• 120 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:41 AM

The MAP sensor may have something to do with you surging and what you might think is a tcc lockup issue. I am not sure but i know on my older truck (TH 350C tranny) it used a vacuum diaphragm switch to disengage lockup under heavy loads. Sounds like the MAP sensor is replacing that old style switch.
2000 Sierra 2500 4x4, BB tune ,Flowbastard 70 series ,03 Sierra grill, 05 Silvy tails ,Hummer H2 wheels with 35'' BFG's.

Other Rides

93 Fox Mustang (soon to be Chevy powered)
83 Silverado, 454, 40'' Boggers, lots-o-lift.
79 Silverado Farm machine
A tricked out Huffy for when the above crap breaks!

Posted Image

#10 Draenor

Draenor

I'm offsetting your carbon credits!!!!!

• 3,605 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:01 AM

I don't think brake fluid is the right thing to use on the MAP sensor, or MAF for that matter. It may be toast.

+1 That was not a good idea to use the brake fluid.

The MAP sensor may have something to do with you surging and what you might think is a tcc lockup issue. I am not sure but i know on my older truck (TH 350C tranny) it used a vacuum diaphragm switch to disengage lockup under heavy loads. Sounds like the MAP sensor is replacing that old style switch.

+1 It sounds like the TCC is not locking up correctly.

The torque converter clutch solenoid is going out. It is in the valve body and can easily be replaced.

Are you getting ant DTCs?

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#11 alwcurlz

alwcurlz

"Opinions vary widely, not wildly"

• 762 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

The torque converter clutch solenoid is going out. It is in the valve body and can easily be replaced.

I think he may have meant "brake cleaner" maybe? I've used brake cleaner spray on things that would have needed carb cleaner spray since they do the same thing and work just as well. :thumbs:

- God's Country -

People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer:
Matt 10:28

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither" : Benjamin Franklin

"It is better to be hated for telling the truth, than loved for telling a lie."

-------------------------------------------------------------------
1999 Silverado LS Z71, 148,000+miles, orig 5.3 V8 with Mobil1 blood, orig 4L60E Transmission, Push-button 4WD, 3.73 G80,
Completely stock making 16-17MPG city streets, 20-21MPG HWY

Posted Image

#12 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

They sell MAF cleaner, which I would venture to say is the right thing to use. Could be a bunch of bull, but could be true.
Posted Image

#13 noahraysanders

noahraysanders

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

whats a dtc?

#14 2500sierra

2500sierra

Enthusiast

• 120 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

Diagnostic Trouble Code AKA is your service engine soon light on?
2000 Sierra 2500 4x4, BB tune ,Flowbastard 70 series ,03 Sierra grill, 05 Silvy tails ,Hummer H2 wheels with 35'' BFG's.

Other Rides

93 Fox Mustang (soon to be Chevy powered)
83 Silverado, 454, 40'' Boggers, lots-o-lift.
79 Silverado Farm machine
A tricked out Huffy for when the above crap breaks!

Posted Image

#15 spurshot

spurshot

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,761 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:45 AM

Just to add to the confusion, I believe that the MAP has a feedback to the ECM/TCM for control of timing and fuel flow as well as shift points and torque converter lockup.

Chuck

DSC_7821_zpsacf5baa7.jpg

2014 Sierra SLT All Terrain 5.3 Crew 6 1/2 ft bed, 305/60-18 Cooper ST Maxx, 5000k Morimoto HID, 4 Baja Designs SII LED lights, AMP Power Steps, Bushwacker flares, Foglights w/High Beams mod, Wilwood 14.25" 6 piston front brakes, Snugtop Hi-Liner Sport. King adjustable height front remote reservoir shocks, King remote reservoir rear shocks, Cognito Upper Control Arms, Hellwig sway bars. Full length Ainley Kennels aluminum bed drawers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users