7 Pin Trailer Plug

I just purchased a 2003 GMC 2500HD. It has the factory heavy duty tow package and the hitch appears to be stock GMC stuff. The 7 pin trailer plug on the hitch is flopping around like a dead fish. It's not secured to the mounting bracket at all, it just floats around the hole. I don't see any screw holes or anything obvious to secure it to the bracket. It appears as though something maybe broke of the back of the plug as you can see in the pictures below. How does this plug typically secure to the bracket?

DSCF0098-1.jpg

DSCF0099-1.jpg

No screws, it just wedges itself on the bracket. If it is not wedging itself anymore, try adding a shim. Also, if you are not planning on removing that adapter soon, you may want to add some glue. Yet another option is to check the bracket itself and make sure it didn't bend out of shape. If it did, get it back into shape and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the information guys. I agree it looks like something was broken off, just not sure what it was. Anyone know if that plug is two pieces? It look like the rear part with the wires going into it may unplug from the front section that goes in the bracket. If so, hopefully I can just buy the front part of the plug from GMC.

You should see the price for front brake pads, $180. Not installed, no calipers, just 4 pads.

But those shoes last over 100,000 miles and don't throw dust.

HA! I believe that as much as I believe the alignment was perfect on this truck from the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

In the too little, too late department...

That plug is made by the Pollak Co. - look at the back of the original plug. The part No. is 11-916. I bought mine (after being rear-ended) from the Jack Young Co. in Allston Mass. (617) 782-1250 for $12 plus shipping. It's the exact same plug, except it doesn't say "GM" on the cover.

File that one for future reference.

Archived