7 Pin Trailer Plug

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1320quick

1320quick

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

I just purchased a 2003 GMC 2500HD. It has the factory heavy duty tow package and the hitch appears to be stock GMC stuff. The 7 pin trailer plug on the hitch is flopping around like a dead fish. It's not secured to the mounting bracket at all, it just floats around the hole. I don't see any screw holes or anything obvious to secure it to the bracket. It appears as though something maybe broke of the back of the plug as you can see in the pictures below. How does this plug typically secure to the bracket?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 9,025 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

As I recall it is a twist lock fit. One of your "ears" looks to be broken off.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#3 TexasAl

TexasAl

Enthusiast

• 854 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

No screws, it just wedges itself on the bracket. If it is not wedging itself anymore, try adding a shim. Also, if you are not planning on removing that adapter soon, you may want to add some glue. Yet another option is to check the bracket itself and make sure it didn't bend out of shape. If it did, get it back into shape and you should be good to go.

#4 mfennema

mfennema

Enthusiast

• 457 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

+1 on the locking ear
Mods:
Line-x bed and wheel wells, Extang Revolution tonneau cover, Bushwacker OE style bedrail caps, 3M rubber coated hitch, Underrail bed lights, removed lower valance, Sirius hardwire install, Peripheral PXAMG for Ipod and Sirius connection, PURDUE plates (camo vanity, and IN license), Front Window Tint, 2" RC Leveling Kit, GMC Grille Emblem painted to match, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Kicker 8" Solo Baric L5 square sub and Kicker 300.1 Amp in custom box within console, Custom Toolboxes

#5 1320quick

1320quick

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I agree it looks like something was broken off, just not sure what it was. Anyone know if that plug is two pieces? It look like the rear part with the wires going into it may unplug from the front section that goes in the bracket. If so, hopefully I can just buy the front part of the plug from GMC.

#6 old dog

old dog

Enthusiast

• 129 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

+1 on the locking ear

look's like some body backed into some thing ,
#1 straighten bracket get new plug from chevy
#2 buy aftermarket plug with 4 bolt mounting flange that plug's in and screw it on . http://www.draw-tite.com/

#7 1320quick

1320quick

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I went to the Chevrolet dealer today and got a new plug. Boy are they proud of that plug!!!! $77 for just the plug! Yikes.....

#8 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

You should see the price for front brake pads, $180. Not installed, no calipers, just 4 pads.
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#9 SS Crew

SS Crew

Enthusiast

• 701 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

You should see the price for front brake pads, $180. Not installed, no calipers, just 4 pads.

But those shoes last over 100,000 miles and don't throw dust.
Come on in, the door's always open - The closer's busted.

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD crewcab LML
RIP: 2007 GMC Sirrra 2500HD crewcab, 20" Weld Velocity 8's, Michelin 305-50-20 Cross Terrains - Performance Associates Custom Tune

#10 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

But those shoes last over 100,000 miles and don't throw dust.

HA! I believe that as much as I believe the alignment was perfect on this truck from the factory.
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#11 Charlie Grant

Charlie Grant

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

In the too little, too late department...

That plug is made by the Pollak Co. - look at the back of the original plug. The part No. is 11-916. I bought mine (after being rear-ended) from the Jack Young Co. in Allston Mass. (617) 782-1250 for $12 plus shipping. It's the exact same plug, except it doesn't say "GM" on the cover.

File that one for future reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users