Why Is My Truck Bouncing Down Road

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stewmeistr

Stewmeistr

Enthusiast

• 63 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

Ok, SO i'm not sure why, but my truck is almost bouncing (small) in the rear end while driving, especially at 1500rpm. Could my 2pc driveshaft support have something to do with it? Flat spot a tire some how, imbalance a tire? I feel like an idiot asking this question really, because usually I can figure this stuff out on my own, but I just don't know and it feels like its worse by the day. It is much worse with the tires aired up to 60psi.

It does not feel speed dependant which to me eliminates the flat spot on the tires idea.. HOWEVER, it does kind of bump at low speed. Also, it is only in the back .

Perhaps I could rotate tires and see if it shifts to the front to eliminate that possibility? Hmmn, I think I'll try that and likely have them rebalanced and see what that does.

WOULD a lax 2 pc center driveshaft support bearing have anything to contribute to this?

Thanks,
Rob

#2 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

I think I'd start with a trip to the tire balance shop. That will eleiminate (or show up) many possible causes. Without doing that first, you are just going to be guessing... and that can get frustrating and expensive

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#3 Stewmeistr

Stewmeistr

Enthusiast

• 63 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

I think I'd start with a trip to the tire balance shop. That will eleiminate (or show up) many possible causes. Without doing that first, you are just going to be guessing... and that can get frustrating and expensive

I agree. Thats going to be the best/cheapest way to start off. Will do.
Thanks,
R

#4 Rod R

Rod R

Enthusiast

• 778 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

absolutely... start with the tire shop... could be wheel balancing, tire separation, uneven tread wear .... get your tires checked!
Rod Ramage, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan CANADA
1997 Chevrolet Cheyenne C2500 xcsb w/ 5.7L Vortec & 4L60E; 3.73 gears w/ G80 (231,000 km)

#5 old dog

old dog

Enthusiast

• 129 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

absolutely... start with the tire shop... could be wheel balancing, tire separation, uneven tread wear .... get your tires checked!

after the tire's are checked out and dont fix it you might need new shock's,most last long enough to get out of warrenty .i like monroe reflex shock's .

#6 TyeeMan

TyeeMan

Enthusiast

• 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

Yep, go to the tire shop and ask them to ROAD FORCE BALANCE either all your tires or at least the suspect tire. A road force balance will usually identify any deleminations or imperfections that ocurred during the molding of the tire.
I had sort of the same thing happen to my truck with a set of Hankook tires. Dont' every buy these P.O.S. tirese. At any rate, at speeds of 5-10 mph I could actually see the back corner of my box go up and down with the rotation of the tire.
Long story short, after 4 Hankook tires giving me the same result, the local tire shop here warrented the Hankooks out and I promptly replace them with Michelins.
BTW the only reason I was working with the Hankooks is cuz they were on the truck when I bought it. Man, that was a real head ache!!!!

#7 2COR517

2COR517

Enthusiast

• 376 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

My truck was doing the bounce thing too. Had some old Kelly Safari AWRs on there. With the trailer on it was almost unbearable to drive. Just put on some nice brand new BFG ATs 31/10.50/16.5 on aluminum rims. Much better. Do think I need new rear shocks though.
Sharing my experience & opinions. Some I learned the hard way, some I learned from those I trust very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here