DETROIT – General Motors Company announced today that four U.S.-based Delphi components operations and Delphi’s global steering business will become part of two new, wholly-owned GM subsidiaries effective upon closing of the transaction. The acquisition will help GM to maintain continued uninterrupted supply to its global GM car and truck operations.
GM Components Holdings LLC will include four of Delphi’s U.S.-based component manufacturing facilities: two New York-based operations, Thermal Systems in Lockport, N.Y., and Powertrain Systems in Rochester, N.Y.; as well as Delphi Powertrain Systems Grand Rapids (in Wyoming, Mich.) and Delphi Electronics and Safety in Kokomo, Ind.
A second subsidiary, GM Global Steering Holdings LLC, will include Delphi’s Steering operations in Saginaw, Mich., and most of the global steering manufacturing operations and engineering centers located in Europe, Mexico, South America and Asia.
The acquired operations were formerly part of Delphi Corporation, based in Troy, Mich., a leading global supplier of mobile electronics and transportation systems. The four U.S.-based components operations and the global steering business also supply many non-GM customers, including leading U.S. automotive, motorcycle and heavy equipment manufacturers. These actions will provide these other OEMs with a reliable source of supply and protection of their intellectual property.
“The Delphi component plants and global steering operations provide critical parts and technologies that are necessary to produce our GM cars and trucks,” said Gary Cowger, Group Vice President of Global Manufacturing and Labor. “The strength of the technology and products that these operations deliver is evident by the more than 60 customers they support globally.”
GM Components Holdings LLC
A new, wholly owned subsidiary of GM, GM Components Holdings LLC, includes the following plants in New York, Michigan and Indiana:
- Delphi Thermal Systems, Lockport, N.Y. – HVAC climate control systems, powertrain cooling systems.
- Delphi Powertrain, Rochester, N.Y. – engine management systems and related products.
- Delphi Powertrain Systems Grand Rapids, Wyoming, Mich. – valve train products.
- Delphi Electronics and Safety, Kokomo, Ind. – automotive electronics and related products.
The GM Components Holdings plants manufacture and sell to GM and more than 20 other customers.
GM Global Steering Holdings LLC
A new, wholly owned subsidiary of GM, GM Global Steering Holdings LLC, is comprised of the Delphi Global Steering business:
- Delphi Steering in Saginaw, Mich. – global headquarters and manufacturing operations for steering products, such as steering gears, power steering pumps, steering columns, intermediate shafts, and driveline products, such as half shafts. In the U.S., this business will operate as Steering Solutions Services Corporation, a subsidiary of GM Global Steering Holdings LLC.
- Two regional engineering centers and 15 manufacturing locations in Mexico, Brazil, Europe, India, China and Australia; 60 customers worldwide, including Renault SA, Volkswagen AG, Ford Motor Co., Fiat Automobiles SpA, Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd., Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., Tata Motors Ltd. and more than 10 Chinese vehicle manufacturers.
The two new subsidiaries represent about 7,100 employees in the U.S.