The Problem – Tailgate Opening Issue
The issue is detailed in Technical Service Bulletin 23-NA-112 and provides dealership service technicians with two new part numbers they can use to fix the situation.
Using reports from owners who have experienced the issue- water intrusion is expected to be the culprit- causing unintended tailgate latch button engagement. If a trailer is attached or the truck is parked close to a hard surface( a garage door, wall, or building), damage may occur if the tailgate unintentionally opens.
Specific Vehicles Affected – Silverado / Sierra Random Tailgate Opening Issue
- 2020-2023 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- 2020-2024 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
- 2020-2024 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
- 2020-2023 GMC Sierra 1500
- 2020-2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD
- 2020-2024 GMC Sierra 3500HD
- Built In Silao Before June 21st, 2023
- Built In Oshawa Before August 28th, 2023
- Built In Fort Wayne Before June 7th, 2023
- Built In Flint Before July 17th, 2023
The Fix – Silverado / Sierra Random Tailgate Opening Issue
Owners who experience this issue or believe they may have water intrusion into their tailgate switch assembly can contact their dealer for a repair. Chevrolet and GMC have specified that one or two new switch assemblies should be installed to fix the issue.
For owners with a Multi-Pro or Multi-Flex tailgate, a replacement part number 85626238 should be installed to fix the inner tailgate switch.
The main tailgate switch should be replaced using part number 85626239.
Warranty – Silverado / Sierra Random Tailgate Opening Issue
Vehicles under warranty will have this repair completed at no cost. If your Silverado or Sierra is no longer under warranty this repair should be an easy garage fix with the above part numbers.