Articles

Articles

Articles

Is The Dash On Your GM Truck Cracked? New Lawsuit News.

Gorehamj
  • John Goreham
    Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
    9/9/2015
    A newly filed lawsuit in Wisconsin says that GM knew it had a problem with cracking dashboards. ABC News has reported that the suit alleges GM tried to find a cause other than its manufacturing and materials to blame the problem on. GM is also not covering the repairs of trucks out of warranty since this is not a safety hazard. However, there are reports that GM dealerships are offering to pay half of the cost of repairs. We do not have that from GM directly.

The below video shows the scope of the problem. Apparently, the Tahoe is the most affected model. Have you seen similar issues?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I did some reading a couple years ago on different GM Truck forums about this problem. And after doing so, I came to the conclusion that most of the problems were from forum members that lived in the southern states. I don't think cold winter weather is a factor, but rather the hotter climate relating to direct sun exposure. However, for someone that lives in the cooler northern climate, could very well experience this same problem by say, driving to work in the summertime exposed to direct sunlight 8-10 hours a day in the parking lot. That and 100+ degree temps inside the vehicle just makes the situation more likely.

Mine was garage parked with only 32,000 miles and only 42 months old and it cracked. I am from the south though.

Not due to cold weather. It has to do with parking it in direct sunlight.

Nope,my buddy has an '08 with only 26,000 miles on it,its garage kept and never sits outside,his cracked a couple years ago.

We have 2 Yukons with cracks. My 2011 Hybrid cracked about 1-1/2 ago at the passenger side airbag and my wife's 2013 Denali's dash cracked recently behind the panel cluster. Frustrating :nonod:

I've got a crack on driver side and passenger side by the airbag. I replaced the entire dash on our avalanche at work, as it cracked so bad it rattled down the road. Paid dealer price for part, changed it myself; no problems whatsoever and fairly easy. Definitely doesn't require insane dealership prices if you've got a 7mm nut driver or socket/ratchet and can disconnect the battery well ahead of unplugging the passenger side airbag.

That crack above the gauges looks like someone got aggravated and slammed their fist on the dash. The one on the side looks like a manufacture defect. Also, GM IS covering trucks that are out of warranty.

By buddy's 10' was out of warranty by like 15K miles and he got his changed no questions asked.

• Like 1

My 2010 Sierra SLT All Terrain has one long crack and one smaller crack about two inches apart above the instrument cluster and another one on the upper right side of the passenger air bag. Appeared after about 3 years once out of warranty.

If we win this lawsuit, it could possibly mean that everyone affected may be entitled to a new dash. The only way this could happen is if the courts find in our favor by declaring the situation dangerous in the event of the passenger side airbag being activated. Much like the Tanaka airbag lawsuit. I think GM customers that have this problem thought of a way to bring it about to lawyers in thinking that we have a fair chance at winning. If this does happen, it could cause GM to suffer yet another big problem "Recall". If it comes this far, it will likely mean that GM will have to start producing replacements that will be made to standards as to not crack in the future! This also means that the original replacements in warehouse storage can no longer be used.

As of now, my dash is not cracked. If it was, I think I would hold off until this lawsuit runs it course of outcome. I feel the next best alternative would possibly be looking into a solution such as this:

www.TXDashcovers.com

My '08 started with a the same crack everyone has on the passenger side next to airbag when it was still under warranty, I let that one slide and a year after the warranty expired the driver side got cracked on several pieces. Also the dark blue paint has a bad sunburn damage on the roof and parts of the hood. I guess we'll get a letter from the law firm that's carry on the lawsuit? or is there a place to sign up for it?.

That crack above the gauges looks like someone got aggravated and slammed their fist on the dash. The one on the side looks like a manufacture defect. Also, GM IS covering trucks that are out of warranty.

By buddy's 10' was out of warranty by like 15K miles and he got his changed no questions asked.

It is different for everyone. GM is not covering 100% for vehicles out of warranty on all vehicles. It's a case by case basis. They offered to pay half on my 2010, I declined as I feel this is mfr / supplier defect

Ryan

It is different for everyone. GM is not covering 100% for vehicles out of warranty on all vehicles. It's a case by case basis. They offered to pay half on my 2010, I declined as I feel this is mfr / supplier defect

Ryan

Weird cause my buddy got his replaced under warranty. No cost to him. And like I said, he was out of warranty.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.