Increase My Fuel Economy

I have a 2005 Denali with 411 gears and a 6 liter awd. I'm running stock tires and have 210000 km on it. The truck has and aftermarket exhaust on it but thats the only change I know of. I'm only getting 20-21 mpg on th hwy and like 14 mpg in the city based on 3.78liters= 1 gal. how can I get more and is there a baffeling system to make back pressure in my exhaust for low end torque and then have it open for free flow at hwy speed?

Only getting 20-21 on the highway??? It's a 5500# brick with a 6.0L (pig on gas) engine. 20-21 MPG in ANY truck is really stellar.

If you want better than that, sell it and buy a car. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

those motors must not be very good at all, mine will make 18.5 at 70, with a 5.3L, 4x4, and 3.73 gears. Makes 14-15 around town and country. stock other than exhaust. used 91 octane last week which definitely helps in the cold

I Just stumbled on this... I have an 01 Regular cab Stepside Sierra with a 4.8L Automatic and I get 18-19 highway @75-80. My tires are Firestone Destination LE 255/70/R16's. I believe my gears are 3.73s Not sure, never bothered to check. It's bone stock... I have a K&N Air FILTER but that's not really even worth mentioning as far as upgrades go. 4.8 is a great motor... but It's meant for these smaller trucks like mine. If you're going to get a bigger truck or a z71... go 5.3 at the very least. They put the smaller engines in bigger trucks and call them gas savers... but truth be told some vehicles are just to heavy for them... 2.2 is too small for an S10, 4.3 is too small for a 1500, etc etc.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is WAY LATE but a friend with an 08 Charger V6 4 SPEED always bought 87 DOMO and switched to 91 DOMO and is seeing 30% increase and same for his wives Journey 4 POT

the assumption is the engine is running in "retard" mode to prevent piston damage from PRE IGNITION and 87 DOMO is BELOW the MINIMUM for those cars and Canadian Petrol is NOT the same as US GAS with formulations ETC

• 2 years later...

Booting up an old thread.

Bought a "gently-used" Hypertech tuner for $125.00 and installed the regular gas canned tune and cut off AFM after updating the tuner. My average around-town mpg jumped from 14.6mpg up to 16.7 mpg. Same roads; same driving style.

2 mpg increase for $125.00 is a winner for me. Better than the Range.

Edited by BigBlueLB756
  • Like 1

Bought a "gently-used" Hypertech tuner for $125.00 and installed the regular gas canned tune and cut off AFM after updating the tuner. My average around-town mpg jumped from 14.6mpg up to 16.7 mpg. Same roads; same driving style.

she'll pay for herself w the gas you save in no time!

• 2 years later...
On 3/22/2017 at 1:37 PM, BigBlueLB756 said:

Looking to do the same with my 09 Sierra , can  you answer a few questions for me please.

Is your truck a Hybrid?

What year?

Which model Hypertech Tuner did you buy?

Thanks for your help!

On 9/5/2009 at 11:58 PM, BrandonM said:

Just wondering what I can do to my engine to increase my fuel economy. I already have a Flowmaster dual exhaust on the truck. I'm running 265/75/16 tires, so I know that isn't helping, but it came with them on. Any suggestions are appreciated.

buy a prius