Increase My Fuel Economy

Okay, so do you think I should also get the extenders done with the tune?

What should I change in the tune up? air filter, spark plugs, and what else?

Not a tune up, but a custom tune. Either with a hand held tuner which you can purchase yourself, or tune done by a custom tuner such as Black Bear or Wheatly etc... All kinds of things can be adjusted. Spark timing, fuel mixtures and transmission parameters.

I'm sorry to step in here but you said you would like to get about 18 mpg or you might have to sell the truck right? You are currently getting near 13 right? if you drive 15k miles a year at 18 mpg with 2.50 gas prices you will spend 2,083.33. If you get 13mpg at 2.50 a gallon of gas you will spend 2,884.61. That is about 800 a year...... the cost of switching trucks or even getting a custom tune or tune up: air filter, new tires (if needed), pugs and wires, Tornado (Hahahaha Jk jk) is going to be quite a bit. Is it really worth it? Is 800 a year in gas worth the changes? furthermore are you even able to increase the mileage that much without changing climate/terrain? I don't know that any tune can give you that much of a mileage increase and even if you could get up to 15 mpg avg., you would only be saving about $385 bucks a year which is most likely to be the more attainable case. So unless you keep the truck a long time the eating the poor mileage is your best bet.

But thats just my opinion i get about 18mpg mixed(mostly highway) driving in my car.....Please correct me if i'm wrong on any of the math btw

Edited by 04silverado1500

Okay, so do you think I should also get the extenders done with the tune?

What should I change in the tune up? air filter, spark plugs, and what else?

Not a tune up, but a custom tune. Either with a hand held tuner which you can purchase yourself, or tune done by a custom tuner such as Black Bear or Wheatly etc... All kinds of things can be adjusted. Spark timing, fuel mixtures and transmission parameters.

I will look into that....so you don't think the O2 sensor extenders are worth it? The mechanic said they should allow for an extra 8-13 mpg, but I want to know if anyone has actually achieved this from them

I'm sorry to step in here but you said you would like to get about 18 mpg or you might have to sell the truck right? You are currently getting near 13 right? if you drive 15k miles a year at 18 mpg with 2.50 gas prices you will spend 2,083.33. If you get 13mpg at 2.50 a gallon of gas you will spend 2,884.61. That is about 800 a year...... the cost of switching trucks or even getting a custom tune or tune up: air filter, new tires (if needed), pugs and wires, Tornado (Hahahaha Jk jk) is going to be quite a bit. Is it really worth it? Is 800 a year in gas worth the changes? furthermore are you even able to increase the mileage that much without changing climate/terrain? I don't know that any tune can give you that much of a mileage increase and even if you could get up to 15 mpg avg., you would only be saving about $385 bucks a year which is most likely to be the more attainable case. So unless you keep the truck a long time the eating the poor mileage is your best bet.

But thats just my opinion i get about 18mpg mixed(mostly highway) driving in my car.....Please correct me if i'm wrong on any of the math btw

I calculated it and it is about $1000 difference per year so in the long run it does make a difference....so you get 18 mpg in your GM truck or what kind of car do you drive?

It's a truck. A truck with a V8. If you are getting 15 - 18 mpg, you are getting what everybody else is getting (and what the truck is capable of). There are always a few "experts" who claim they are getting 25 miles per gallon pulling a 5,000 pound boat with four trailer flats, but I've never been able to find anybody who can reproduce it anywhere but on a keyboard.

Be happy.

Edited by Zembonez

It's a truck. A truck with a V8. If you are getting 15 - 18 mpg, you are getting what everybody else is getting (and what the truck is capable of). There are always a few "experts" who claim they are getting 25 miles per gallon pulling a 5,000 pound boat with four trailer flats, but I've never been able to find anybody who can reproduce it anywhere but on a keyboard.

Be happy.

I'm only getting 12 mpg :)

I wish I was getting 16-18

Be happy.

I'm only getting 12 mpg :)

I wish I was getting 16-18

WOW. At 12 MPG you have every right to be not happy. Something isn't quite right (or you have one hell of a heavy foot). Have you had any issues with performance or any check engine light?

The mechanic said they should allow for an extra 8-13 mpg, but I want to know if anyone has actually achieved this from them

Uh huh. :) If they did that, then the things would be flying off the shelf and the wouldn't just be seen on Y tube. My opinion. :lol: If the mechanic offers a money back guarantee then try them.

I'd still like to know what your rear ratio is. If it's 3.08 then your mileage does suck. If it's 4.10 or more then mileage may not be so bad. Still should get better than 12 though.

What RPMs are you running say at 70 MPH.

Don't forget your getting slightly better mpg than you're calculating since your odometer is off a bit. It's not much. Highway you might be getting .5mpg better than you think.

Have you asked the previous owner about MPG?

Been stated before. If plugs are original, new plugs and wires might pick you up some MPG. You could clean the throttle body thoroughly. Do a Seafoam treatment on the intake too. Clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. You say you have serviced the air filter.

Zem, what gears do you have in your truck now?

I calculated it and it is about $1000 difference per year so in the long run it does make a difference....so you get 18 mpg in your GM truck or what kind of car do you drive?

I have a Pontiac G8 GT. I would do some normal service before getting a tune thats forsure. I also think we need to find out what your gear ratio is! we need this information. I wouldnt be to unhappy with 12 mpg in a truck to be honest. At the end of the day if you bought a truck you shouldnt expect very good mileage. But like a isaid what is your Gear ratio and do some normal Maint on it before you get to busy with trying to tune it.

In my old 04 5.3L ext cab truck i avg. about 13 and i could push 18-20 at 60 mph just for your reference.

Edited by 04silverado1500

Just wondering what I can do to my engine to increase my fuel economy. I already have a Flowmaster dual exhaust on the truck. I'm running 265/75/16 tires, so I know that isn't helping, but it came with them on. Any suggestions are appreciated.

To be honest, biggest thing killing you is probably a lead foot.. My Fiance drives my truck and gets about 13 mpg.. but she likes to hear the straights sing..

I have the same truck essentially as you.. 3.73 gears , same size tires but I have an overly agressive A/T not a true M/T, Airaid Mit(110$), Black Bear Performance tune(300$)(This was the single best mod ever btw..), Magnaflow cat back straight duals (on truck i chopped mufflers), and a tonneu cover. @ 68-70mph I average 18.0-18.2mpg, mixed 60/40 while just coasting to stop lights I average about 16mpg.

Change out your diff fluids, I went Amsoil in the back and I run mobil 1 synthetic in the motor.

Happy motoring.

Oh P.S. to the gas saving guy.. I picked up a 1994 Mercury Topaz 5spd 2dr with 85K on it for $500, best gas saver there is for the $ if i cant ride my bike.

Edited by FargoZ71

<br />Got the O2 sensor extenders done...now the truck is doing 16.5 mpg

Not quite the 8 -13 mpg your mechanic stated, but better than nothing. 4 mpg isn't bad

Edited by txab