Transmission Flush

trx680

I just bought a 2001 2500HD, 6.0, 160,000 miles with ....I'm not even sure what tranny it is. The people I bought it from are the 2nd owners and didnt have it long. They dont know the history of the trucks maintenance.

I want to do a tune-up and other preventative maintenance, including the transmission.

I've heard bad stories about having tranny flushes and breaking lose debis that clogs up the tranny ports and destroys the tranny....

Anyone here had a tranny flush? Had any problems? I would take it to the GM dealer to have it done, not jiffy lube or some place like that.

I dont know it its ever been flushed or serviced before, and it has 160,000 miles and runs/shifts great.

-----------any suggestions?

I just bought a 2001 2500HD, 6.0, 160,000 miles with ....I'm not even sure what tranny it is. The people I bought it from are the 2nd owners and didnt have it long. They dont know the history of the trucks maintenance.

I want to do a tune-up and other preventative maintenance, including the transmission.

I've heard bad stories about having tranny flushes and breaking lose debis that clogs up the tranny ports and destroys the tranny....

Anyone here had a tranny flush? Had any problems? I would take it to the GM dealer to have it done, not jiffy lube or some place like that.

I dont know it its ever been flushed or serviced before, and it has 160,000 miles and runs/shifts great.

Had mine done about 30K miles ago at the GM dealer and will have it done again soon in the near future....no problems at all.

Had mine flushed by some sort of machine that stood veriticle on rolling wheels. Had no problems to speak of because of it. Would get it done again in the future as well. Personally if I were you, 160,000 miles, I would get everything done on that truck. Plugs, all fluids! If there is no record and you have no warranty, it is wise to have that truck maintained. 160,000 is nearing the Golden years, a dealer once told me those 6.0's are good for 200,000 plus.

I'm only at 50.000 and i am considering it myself. I have heard that there is a very noticeable difference in the shifts (in a good way). Have you noticed this also or is it just a maintenance thing?

FWIW, a fuel system service was well worth it for a noticeable difference!

• 3 weeks later...

Having worked in a GMC dealership and having worked on a lot of trucks that saw hard duty running the oil fields of Alberta all I can say is 'flush the trans now......, change the front and rear diff, have your injectors checked, and have a good tech look at all the 'joints' in the drive line. Especially if you and the previous owner do not know the history of the vehicle and how it was used.

I had a change done twice, and the last time a flush was done. That was because the fluid was turning colour.

Never had any problems, and the guy at the tranny shop said it only needs to be flushed if something looks wrong with the fluid.

I have 275,000 Km on my truck

If the transmission has never been touched and the fluid is still nice and pink then a fluid change out would be a good thing to have done. You can either do it your self or have the dealer do it. Click here and follow these procedures to a complete change out of the transmission fluid.

Now if the fluid is pretty dark and has a burnt smell then a complete change out might not be the way to go. I would then just drop the pan and change out the filter and put back in fresh fluid. Then at your next oil change just change out the transmission fluid again and do that two more times at each engine oil change. By that time it will have completely changed out the fluid and it will not "shock" the transmission with a complete change out. Not to mention it will not cost as much as it would for a complete change out.

I personally like to change the fluid in an automatic transmission every 30k miles, unless you are running synthetic then you can take it to 50k miles. It is well worth it considering the cost of having to repair/replace one. :jester:

i had the tranny fluid changed in my suburban at about 110,000 and my tranny went at 120,000. i dont know if the change had anything to do with it but i probably wont have it done again without some sort of warranty or something.

also, i had the fluid changed by a chevy dealership

thats just my expirence

Archived