Squeaky Windows When Rolled Down

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too have this issue. I've had the truck, an 08 sierra for a year now, and this is the only defect (save the lint fest seatsicon7.gif), so I'm pretty happy.

It almost sounds like metal scraping the glass when the driver side window goes up -- I half expect the window to come up with a gouge soon!

That felt is really stiff, but it seems like adding any type of lube to the felt is only going to end up spooging the window.

I'll let you know if the TSB cures mine.

Mine doesn't sound like metal. It's weird though that it only does it when the window goes down, not up. I might try that dry lube and see what happens. I just think the felt on the seals has worn out and hopefully I can get them to replace it.

Let us know how the TSB works out since I might have them do the same thing to mine when I take it in soon.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, bringing this up again. What lube are they using. Is it the Multi-purpose Lubricant - Superlube (GM# 12346241)? Is it just an average silicon/lithium spray? They lubed all my window rails but one is still doing it and I'll just do that one myself. Is it a spray or in a can with a brush?

• 5 weeks later...

window ugly noise

alright guys i have the same thing and it has made it since i got it, but this is a video of the horrible sound that it makes.

i took it and they acted like they didn't want to work on it and they said it's "dirt in my chamber" and they said they would look at it and I got someone to take me to work, they call me and tell me it's done and they cleaned the "chamber" and it's fixed. i go out there and roll it down and it makes the exact same squeaking sound.

they say oh shit and decide to bring it to me at work later (which is nice because i didn't have a ride)

anyways they take it to me at work and it was fixed and stayed fixed for about a week

now it sounds like this. this is horrible and much worse than it sounded before.. i have tried spraying silicone spray all over and pretty much everything other than taking the door apart which i dont want to do unless I have to because this sound is so horrible.

anyone have a fix for it? i think the dealership is going to give me the runaround.. there's no way they rip the door panel off every time they have to lube it up.. how do i do it myself?

Try cleaning the windows. Then roll them all the way down. Get a narrow paint scrapper/butter knife, or something along those lines. Use some type of window wipes. Wrap one around the tool, then stick it between the window and the rubber seals. Go back and forth along the window. Remove and admire the dirt. Now try your windows.

window ugly noise

alright guys i have the same thing and it has made it since i got it, but this is a video of the horrible sound that it makes.

i took it and they acted like they didn't want to work on it and they said it's "dirt in my chamber" and they said they would look at it and I got someone to take me to work, they call me and tell me it's done and they cleaned the "chamber" and it's fixed. i go out there and roll it down and it makes the exact same squeaking sound.

they say oh shit and decide to bring it to me at work later (which is nice because i didn't have a ride)

anyways they take it to me at work and it was fixed and stayed fixed for about a week

now it sounds like this. this is horrible and much worse than it sounded before.. i have tried spraying silicone spray all over and pretty much everything other than taking the door apart which i dont want to do unless I have to because this sound is so horrible.

anyone have a fix for it? i think the dealership is going to give me the runaround.. there's no way they rip the door panel off every time they have to lube it up.. how do i do it myself?

wow thats the worse sound ever, my 06 windows have the same problem, but they def. arent that loud yet.

Same problem but I corrected it when I cleaned up the window seals all the way around (at least 4 times) and then used some lithium (thick) grease and applied to the tracks as well as any rollers that I found. Took care of the problem for the passenger side but now the driver's side is doing it...guess I gotta pull the panel and do it all over again.

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect.....I usually use alldata to find tsb's but I'm on vacation for two weeks....... Just called the dealer and they will fix it as soon as i take it in today...... hopefully the horrible noise when the window is coming down disappears.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from the dealer with the squeaky window syndrome. I could not take it anymore. Not only was it loud, but it was slowing the operation down as well. Unfortunately I was out of warranty, but was fed up with it and had them do it anyway. They applied lubricant to the rails and motor for both driver side windows. The cost was $95.00. (I hated paying for it, but I was not sure when I could get to doing it myself, and have never removed the door panels before and was a bit nervous) For now it works perfect. I will let you know how long the fix lasts.

My squeak is caused by that lousy felt. I've greased the rails for both sides and it didn't affect the noise. It only seems to squeal when it's cold out. I tried lubing the felt with some wax based spray lube, didn't last long. I might just resort to replacing that stuff, or maybe take it completely off the truck and really wash it like one guy on the forum did.

$100 for them to grease the rails is crazy. Just do it yourself. You need a 10mm socket, a small screw driver, and needle nose pliers to release the door release cable. Just carefully, but firmly, pull on the panel around the edge after the 5 bolts are removed.

Archived