Headlight Bulb Replacement : How To?

Ok guys.. so My low beams are horrible and want to put in some silverstars and need to know how to replace them.

I have heard you have to take off the whole grill just to replace the bulbs??

I have not yet tried or looked but thought i would ask the experts first.

any help would be great....... :jester:

I just added the foglamp kit to my 2007 GMT900 chevy and the instructions said to take off the front bumper. Well needless to say I figured there has to be an easier way. The only thing holding me from getting the end caps off

was the headlamp assemblies.

If you look on top, after you open the hood there are two screws holding the lamp assy and one in the back rear

which you can't see. The rear one is accessed from underneath up in the front fenderwell. You have to take off the

grill, but this just four screws on top. Once these three screws are undone from the headlamp assy it slides out to the front. You can undo the bulbs without having to slide it out all the way or if you want, unplug the electrical connector

and you can take the whole thing out.

I figured this out trying not to have to take the bumper off, but when I have to replace the bulbs this is the

procedure I am going to use.

• Like 1

I have a 08 GMC and can access the bulbs from inside of engine compartment. I can't believe the Chevy is any more complicated?

Headlamps

To replace one of these bulbs:

1. Open the hood. See Hood Release on page 5-11

for more information.

2. If you are replacing the bulb on the passenger side

remove the Engine Air Cleaner cover. See Engine

Air Cleaner/Filter on page 5-17 for more information.

3. Reach in and access the bulb sockets from inside

the engine compartment.

4. Turn the bulb socket counterclockwise to remove it

from the headlamp assembly and pull it straight out.

5. Unplug the electrical connector from the old bulb

by releasing the clips on the bulb socket.

6. Replace it with a new bulb socket.

7. Plug in the electrical connector to the new

bulb socket.

8. Reinstall the new bulb socket into the headlamp

assembly and turn it clockwise to secure.

9. Close the hood.

High-Beam Headlamp 9005

Low-Beam Headlamp H11

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

Ok guys.. so My low beams are horrible and want to put in some silverstars and need to know how to replace them.

I have heard you have to take off the whole grill just to replace the bulbs??

I have not yet tried or looked but thought i would ask the experts first.

any help would be great....... :jester:

Are there H11 Silverstars now? Last I knew they weren't made.

Edited by swhitney2003

You should be able to get to the passenger side bulb by removing the airbox; it just pulls straight out once you've gotten the airlid off. The drivers' side was even easier, you just have to snake your hand in where the radiator core support is and pull the bulb out.

thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Sounds like a normal removal/replacement...

( I had just heard of having to take off teh grill and the headlamp assemblies out!)

I put an HID kit on my sierra the spot was very tight and hard to work with. I just had to get someone with really small hands!

• 2 weeks later...
Just put in the H11 Silverstars and it is MUCH BETTER!!!

just reach in and it was plug and play!!

Passenger side needed to remove the air cleaner box (just loosen the hose clamp and it pops right out.)

If you could keep a rough track of the hours or at least number of days, weeks, months, that the Silver Stars last, it'd be appreciated. I have the H-9 conversion. They have a Sylvannia life rating of 120 hrs.

Passenger side needed to remove the air cleaner box (just loosen the hose clamp and it pops right out.)

If you could keep a rough track of the hours or at least number of days, weeks, months, that the Silver Stars last, it'd be appreciated. I have the H-9 conversion. They have a Sylvannia life rating of 120 hrs.

I would but i can almost gaurentee the truck will be sold by the time they burn out. (I drive about 3 miles to and from work 5 days a week...well 4 this year with budget cuts) I only keep my vehicles about 1-2 years so.. 2 years would be about 80 hours if my calculations are correct.

They lasted at least 60hours before I sold be tacoma... but those were not h11's

Edited by Johnson8537

I installed a set of Silverstars on one of my previous trucks. The lights did not last very long (I estimate less than 1/2 the life of standard bulbs) as compared to standard bulbs. This was a couple of years ago. Maybe they have been improved since then. I liked the bulbs but was not happy with the life span for the money they cost.