New Recall Out

Dropped off my truck Tue night to get the heated washer fluid fixed. Just picked it up a couple of hours ago. Not only did they replace the heating unit they performed work on a new recall that came out on the 19th. I could not get a lot of details because nobody was there who knew anything, sounds typical of a service department,. It has something to do with removing insulation in the engine compartment. The number is 09184. This is a recall and not a TSB.

#09184: Customer Satisfaction - Material Over Sensing and Diagnostic Module Retaining Moisture - (Oct 20, 2009)

Subject: 09184 -- Material Over Sensing and Diagnostic Module Retaining Moisture

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

Currently or Previously Registered in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, , West Virginia, Wisconsin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Certain 2007-2009 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles currently or previously registered in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin may have a condition where an electronic component located beneath the driver's seat may corrode due to a significant quantity of snow and/or water containing road salt or other contaminants entering the vehicle and saturating the acoustical padding beneath the carpet. The vehicle's electronic sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) is located underneath this acoustical padding. If sufficient moisture collects and is retained in the padding, it may cause excessive corrosion under the module; compromising the module seal and allowing water intrusion and system malfunction. This may result in illumination of the Airbag Readiness light, along with a "Service Airbag" message on the Driver Information Center, and in rare cases, deployment of the seat belt pretensioner and/or airbags.

Correction

Dealers are to remove the acoustical pad above the SDM.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2007-2009 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles currently or previously registered in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin, and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year

Division

Model

From

Through

Chevrolet

Silverado

7E500001

7E604245

7F500002

7F567567

7G500016

7G557689

7Z500001

7Z653672

Chevrolet

Silverado

8E100001

8E218327

8F100001

8F228336

8G100044

8G315222

8Z100001

8Z333466

Chevrolet

Silverado

9E100001

9E159067

9F100005

9F178564

9G100026

9G266868

9Z100001

9Z280992

GMC

Sierra

7E500003

7E604243

7F500004

7F567377

7G500017

7G557568

7Z500002

7Z653614

GMC

Sierra

8E100002

8E218285

8F100002

8F228333

8G100047

8G315264

8Z100003

8Z901791

GMC

Sierra

9E100003

9E159061

9F100002

9F178559

9G100029

9G266866

9Z100010

9Z279538

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using GMVIS (dealers using WINS) or the Investigate Vehicle History screen (dealers using GWM). Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information

No parts are required for this program.

Service Procedure

Note: Driver seat removal is NOT required for crew cab or extended cab vehicles. Certain 2009 regular cab vehicles built after approximately March 1, 2009 with carpet that has a 2-sided cutout over the SDM, however, will require driver seat removal. Refer to Front Seat Replacement-Bucket in SI. After the seat removal, proceed to Step 2 in the bulletin. Regular cab vehicles with carpet that has a 3-sided cut over the SDM do NOT require seat removal.

Move the driver's seat to the full forward or rearward position.

Carpet and cutout flap shown with the driver's seat removed from the vehicle for illustration purposes only. Seat removal is NOT required to gain access to the acoustical pad.

Lift the cutout flap in the carpet or vinyl to gain access to the acoustical pad that covers the SDM.

Seat removed for illustration purposes only.

Using your hand, tear away and remove the acoustical pad that covers the SDM. Ensure that no acoustical pad remains over, or in contact with, the SDM.

Lower the carpet or vinyl cutout flap over SDM and adjust the driver's seat to the customer-desired position.

Courtesy Transportation

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Claim Information

1. Submit a claim using the table below.

2. Courtesy Transportation - For dealers using WINS, submit using normal labor code; for dealers using GWM - submit as Net Item under the repair labor code.

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

V2133

Remove Acoustical Pad from SDM Area

Add: Seat Removal (Regular Cab with 2-Sided Cutout Only) (Vehicles Built after approximately March 1, 2009)

Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Dealer Program Responsibility

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

October 2009

Dear General Motors Customer:

We have learned that your 2007, 2008, or 2009 model year Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra, currently or previously registered in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin may have a condition where an electronic component located beneath the driver's seat may corrode due to a significant quantity of snow and/or water containing road salt or other contaminants entering the vehicle and saturating the acoustical padding beneath the carpet. Your vehicle's electronic sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) is located underneath this acoustical padding. If sufficient moisture collects and is retained in the padding, it may cause excessive corrosion under the module; compromising the module seal and allowing water intrusion and system malfunction. This may result in illumination of the Airbag Readiness light, along with a "Service Airbag" message on the Driver Information Center, and in rare cases, deployment of the seat belt pretensioner and/or airbags.

Your satisfaction with your 2007, 2008, or 2009 model year Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition.

What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will remove the acoustical padding above the SDM. This service will be performed for you at no charge .

What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division

Number

Text Telephones (TTY)

Chevrolet

1-800-630-2438

1-800-833-2438

GMC

1-866-996-9463

1-800-462-8583

Courtesy Transportation: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your GM vehicle provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.

Scott Lawson

Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Hmm.... I'll have to take a peek at that in my truck now. I don't like the idea that water/contaminants can get inside the vehicle at all.

I am betting the "contaminants" get in by dragging them in with you (slushy shoes, etc).

Weathertech floor liners will probably make this a non-issue. :)

Thanks for the post Rich. I had asked about this in another thread, and it looks like you got it here. Has anyone done this themselves? It didn't say anything about a reseting or anything. I can't imagine the indicator light just going out on it's own without a reseting......thoughts?

Hmm.... I'll have to take a peek at that in my truck now. I don't like the idea that water/contaminants can get inside the vehicle at all.

I am betting the "contaminants" get in by dragging them in with you (slushy shoes, etc).

I like that thought..

Hopefully you're right. Good thing I already have a set of Weathertech liners :lol:

I live in wisconsin and just today I got the "service airbag" message along with the airbag light staying on. We have been having quite a bit of rain the last few days. My 2007 just went off the 36k warranty. They are suppose to hook it up to the computer on tuesday. It would be nice if it was something simple like this, but I'm sure I'm going to be spending some money.

Dropped off my truck Tue night to get the heated washer fluid fixed. Just picked it up a couple of hours ago. Not only did they replace the heating unit they performed work on a new recall that came out on the 19th. I could not get a lot of details because nobody was there who knew anything, sounds typical of a service department,. It has something to do with removing insulation in the engine compartment. The number is 09184. This is a recall and not a TSB.

Since GM is no longer dealing with MicroHeat or whoever makes the heated washer fluid unit, I doubt it was replaced. It was probably just a wiring harness with a fuse in it. Unless they changed the recall.

Archived