Built Online - Max Trailer Package.

Hi All,

Was building a truck online, identical to mine, with a few exceptions, the biggest being the 6.2L, and wondered why with the max trailer package, that 3:42 is the deepest gearing? No 3:73? Mine has 3:73, but is a 4spd. Does the 6spd make that much difference??

What about long term durability?

GCWR For Engine/Rear Axle Ratio Combination with Automatic Transmission

Engine (GCWR) Gross Combination Weight Ratings lbs. (kg)

(4536) 11000

(4990) 11500

(5216) 12000

(5443) 15000

(6804) 16000

(7258)

(LU3) Vortec 4.3L V6 MFI

(L20) Vortec 4.8L V8 SFI FlexFuel 3.23 3.42 3.73

(LMG/LC9) Vortec 5.3L V8 SFI FlexFuel 3.082 3.422 3.423

(L9H) Vortec 6.2L V8 SFI 3.422 3.423 3.731

1 - Requires (NHT) Max Trailering Pack.

2 - Requires (MYC) 6-speed automatic transmission. Not available with (K5L) Heavy-duty cooling package.

3 - Requires (MYC) 6-speed automatic transmission and (K5L) Heavy-duty cooling package.

Since you are doing your build and price on GM.ca like myself you are seeing the same thing. However, the NHT package gives you 373 gearing, even with a 6.2. Here is a stock order truck for an Edmonton dealer

http://apps.gm.ca/app/GMCanada/NewVehicleL...p;ComponentName

As you can see, the truck is a Max Trailer Package 6.2 powered crew with 373's.

If I buy a truck I will be getting that.... except an extended cab and not a crew cab. For those wondering, the 6 litre is only on the hybrids now.... otherwise the 6.2 is now the "Vortec Max" I guess if you want to call it that for the half tons.

6 speed durability is what I am questioning. The 2nd to 3rd gear flaring that my dealer can't or won't fix along wth it being somewhat common ( 09 2500HD with the 6L90E) with Denali's and such is really making me wonder. Mine started at around 1000 miles...... now I am at 6000 miles and it's not getting any better with time, put it that way. Typical symptoms...... screws around with both cold and hot fluid...... Hopefully I can get it sorted out either way.

Since you are doing your build and price on GM.ca like myself you are seeing the same thing. However, the NHT package gives you 373 gearing, even with a 6.2. Here is a stock order truck for an Edmonton dealer

http://apps.gm.ca/app/GMCanada/NewVehicleL...p;ComponentName

As you can see, the truck is a Max Trailer Package 6.2 powered crew with 373's.

If I buy a truck I will be getting that.... except an extended cab and not a crew cab. For those wondering, the 6 litre is only on the hybrids now.... otherwise the 6.2 is now the "Vortec Max" I guess if you want to call it that for the half tons.

6 speed durability is what I am questioning. The 2nd to 3rd gear flaring that my dealer can't or won't fix along wth it being somewhat common ( 09 2500HD with the 6L90E) with Denali's and such is really making me wonder. Mine started at around 1000 miles...... now I am at 6000 miles and it's not getting any better with time, put it that way. Typical symptoms...... screws around with both cold and hot fluid...... Hopefully I can get it sorted out either way.

Thank you. If I buy new, it will be that, unless of course the babymax is ever produced.

The 6 speed's first gear is huge, 3.42 in 6 spd is comparably a 4.56 in 4 spd.

Very true, but all you guys should drive a 373 geared 6 speed truck. I do...... everyday. It's my 6 litre powered extended cab short box 4X4 3/4 ton. It's awesome. The truck has 31" tall tires on it and I would not run it any other way. I have driven 6.2 powered trucks with 342's and 20" rims and a few 3/4 tons with 373's and these 3/4 trucks jump way harder out of the hole. Not only that, I hated the ratio drop from first to second nwith the 342 rear but yet with the 373 it seems to be just about perfect. The truck does not shortshift first like I thought it would and the deeper rear seems to absorb the large first to second gap that much better. And this is in a 3/4 ton that is heavier with an engine that makes 43 less HP and 37 less lb ft of torque. A half ton would be just that much more fun.

Very true, but all you guys should drive a 373 geared 6 speed truck. I do...... everyday. It's my 6 litre powered extended cab short box 4X4 3/4 ton. It's awesome. The truck has 31" tall tires on it and I would not run it any other way. I have driven 6.2 powered trucks with 342's and 20" rims and a few 3/4 tons with 373's and these 3/4 trucks jump way harder out of the hole. Not only that, I hated the ratio drop from first to second nwith the 342 rear but yet with the 373 it seems to be just about perfect. The truck does not shortshift first like I thought it would and the deeper rear seems to absorb the large first to second gap that much better. And this is in a 3/4 ton that is heavier with an engine that makes 43 less HP and 37 less lb ft of torque. A half ton would be just that much more fun.

I've been thinking of 4.10's but until I learn how to fully switch them out myself I'm holding off. 4.10's would really pull in first I can only imagine :thumbs:

I've been thinking of 4.10's but until I learn how to fully switch them out myself I'm holding off. 4.10's would really pull in first I can only imagine :thumbs:

Yeah..... with 410's and 33" tires I would think it would be pretty insane. Would actually probably not be that far off my current 31" 373 geared combo. A little deeper in first, but not tons.

Archived