12v Ign Switched In Driver Side Fuse Box?

I installed an isolated backup battery in my Yukon. After much searching here, I decided on the Northwest Power Products system with the cabin mounted control switch.

All went well - but I'm having trouble finding an ignition-switched 12V source in the drivers side fuse box that I can tap using a fuse tap. I've tried almost all of them and had to settle on the fuse that is associated with the steering wheel button illumination system.

Unfortunately, those lights are not always on and therefore my isolation relay controller switch isn't always getting power in setting 1 - charging the backup battery but running the main.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks,

-John

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75052

Little bit in there about the Retained Accessory Power, might be of use to you. That one says it is located under the driver side of the dash. For my amp to my subs I tapped off a yellow (I believe) wire on the passenger side by removing the side of the dash (it is flat, where the door meets it when closed).

I installed an isolated backup battery in my Yukon. After much searching here, I decided on the Northwest Power Products system with the cabin mounted control switch.

All went well - but I'm having trouble finding an ignition-switched 12V source in the drivers side fuse box that I can tap using a fuse tap. I've tried almost all of them and had to settle on the fuse that is associated with the steering wheel button illumination system.

Unfortunately, those lights are not always on and therefore my isolation relay controller switch isn't always getting power in setting 1 - charging the backup battery but running the main.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks,

-John

John,

Not sure I understood exactly what your issue was: Are you having trouble finding any 12V+ switched fuse at all or having trouble tapping what you did find? If it's the 1st, sorry I can't really help, my '02 has several to choose from in the int. D's side fuse panel. If it's the latter, I was going to tell you about these great taps the stereo shops are selling. They're an entire fuse with a wire coming out of the front (right next to the printed AMP number rating). Not homemade, they appear to be made by or in a fuse factory. Just replace the necessary fuse with this and strip the wire end to tie in to your Acc's wire. Given the importance of your application, I'd make the effort to run the wire to the engine compartment fuse box if nothing inside will work.

:rollin: Hey, I just had one thought though. On my truck, it's easy to reach the radio's wiring harness. Just pop off the dash bezel by hand, release the 2 radio locking tabs, by hand, and pull radio out the front. While mapping out the wires for a new stereo I found a constant 12V+ and 2 switched 12V+ wires in the harness. One of the switched ones is not used as I don't have a power antenna. It's not on the remote/delayed power circuit at all so it won't go off on its own. Most shops use it for remote amp turn on. If it were me and I could not get a good tap at the panel, it would only take a few min.s to get to these wires and tap/splice into one of them for your needs. You know they go back to a fuse somewhere, and most likely it's under the hood so now you get a good connection and don't have to cut and pull wire thru the firewall. You could even add your own inline fuse if you want to be extra safe but I am pretty sure all the ones I described all go to 1 or 2 RADIO fuses under the hood.

I've been looking to setup something similar but thought I'd have to design it myself. I didn't know anyone other than the dealer made such kits. Can you post or PM me a link to your kit (and any other important facts you came across researching it?) If you want any further info on those taps let me know. I think Crutchfield had them. Much cleaner than trying to get a twisted wire or flat metal tap to go down in the little socket. Hope it goes smoothly either way. Let us know.

Jim

From the several 07-up trucks we have have installed two-way radios in I have never seen a switched 12v inside the truck, gotta go out under the hood.

+1 you will not find one in the drivers fuse panel you have to go under hood panel

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Here's the link to the NW Power system's kit.

http://www.wranglernw.com/pc-6349-790-dual...llac-escal.aspx

I'm going to try to get into a 12v switched source down by the pedals as detailed here. http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...=75052&st=0 Thanks again - I'll let you know how I make out.

-John

Archived