Abs Kicks In When Almost At Complete Stop

I was informed on my 04 that it's not a recall, just that there's a TSB issued for it.

I just did the repair that GM says to do, and found it to be quite easy. The sensors are a pain to pull completely out, they come about half way and then got stuck and I had to gently use a pair of pliers to get a firm grip and get them the rest of the way out. I can see where some people have had them break off.

Then it was just a good sanding job and some grease and put it back together.

For what was supposed to be a quick repair, it was. And other than the fact once I had the rotors off I discovered I needed new rotors, it was free to fix.

Took my under an hour to do the actual sensor fix...the hardest part was loosening the bolts on my brakes, they were pretty tight. After doing the fix, I havent encountered the issue that I was, so I recommend attempting the fix yourself if you're even remotely mechanically inclined, as I found it very simple and self explanatory.

• 3 weeks later...

Found out it is the passenger side sensor not reading the correct speed. It is an aftermarket wheel bearing that is about a year and a half old. I took the stock sensor out of the old driver side bearing and put it in the passenger side and it still acts up. I had the dealership tell me what was wrong, but I wasn't gonna shell out the money for them to put a gm bearing & sensor in it. I'm afraid to spend another $115 on an aftermarket and not fix the problem.

Found out it is the passenger side sensor not reading the correct speed. It is an aftermarket wheel bearing that is about a year and a half old. I took the stock sensor out of the old driver side bearing and put it in the passenger side and it still acts up. I had the dealership tell me what was wrong, but I wasn't gonna shell out the money for them to put a gm bearing & sensor in it. I'm afraid to spend another $115 on an aftermarket and not fix the problem.

Are you more scared of paying out what GM wants to fix it...or rear ending someone and having to pay out the cash for an insurance claim?

Bet GM isn't charging you anywhere near what your insurance will charge you, for both your deductible and your increased rates for the next few years.

Got the truck fixed. Took it to dealer finally and they told me it was actually the passenger side that was not reading to correct speed. I put a new bearing in this afternoon and after a 5 mile trip around the block, I never had any problems. I had put a different known good sensor in it over the weekend and that hadn't fixed it, so the bearing was next. That bearing was only about a year and a half old, but the tone ring inside must have been messed up in some form, but nothing I could see. Oh well, ABS works now and I don't have to stare at the lights on the dash.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A shop will be able to read the wheels, and see which VSS is not lining up with the others. I just had this on my moms saturn vue red line. For the saturn, I had to replace the whole hub, as it is part of the assembly.

I have the same problem on my '06.....I asked if GM was going to expand the recall being that a number of newer vehicles are experiencing the same issue as the older recalled vehicles...I was told "No"...so I reported the problem here ( NHTSB )...maybe if enough complaints are lodged, they'll expand it. Feel free to join me.

it is not a recall just a TSB and most dealers will not perform this for no charge because they don't want to get stuck with the bill if you are out of your 3/36k warranty.

I had the same issue with the cloth interior TSB on my 07 GMT900 which I purchased with a GM Certified Warranty. The dealer would not perform the TSB so I called the GM warranty customer service # and told them what was going on. They contacted the dealer and within 24 hours they called me back and said the dealer would take care of it.

I hate to bring up an old thread but this may be the answer to my problem. When applying the brake a a low speed and hitting a bump the abs would kick on and it was like I lost brakes completely. Did it once or twice last fall but then did it in the a few days after christmas when out plowing and ended up rear ended a car. Plow prevented any damage to my rig but messed up her bumper and now my insurance just went up abit :crazy:

Anyway now that the weather is getting better I definatly would like to get this fixed. What exactly to I have to sand/clean up? I keep hearing about a possible recall for this but can't find any good info. Truck is a 2000 3/4 ton Silverado and I'm in Vermont so I'd assume that would be in the "salt area" that I heard mentioned