Oil Leak

brentm

I changed my oil Monday and wiped everything down good and checked for leaks yesterday and I think it may be my oil pan gasket. My cooling line gasket had not leaked any yet that I can tell and there is some oil coming from where my motor and transmission are bolted together and there is some at my starter so I think it has to be my oil pan gasket.

I changed my oil Monday and wiped everything down good and checked for leaks yesterday and I think it may be my oil pan gasket. My cooling line gasket had not leaked any yet that I can tell and there is some oil coming from where my motor and transmission are bolted together and there is some at my starter so I think it has to be my oil pan gasket.

Did you check the oil cooler lines? They are kinda hard to see if you don't have the truck on a lift. The lines are located very close to your steering colum but below it and towards the engine. If anything, this msot likely is what is leaking because GM used metal and rubber on the lines and they will only last so long. They are prone to getting wet and rusting out, along with road salt damage as well. One sign to tell if the leak is coming from there is noticing a drip and/or puddle coming from front of engine, right behind the radiator. Also the sheild under the engine and the oil pan will have oil all over it from driving, as force from driving will cause oil to spray back that way. Would also make it look like the oil pan is leaking. If you look a alternator, the oil coller lines will be located straight down from Alt.

Ok I will check that because I checked the oil cooler lines at the block and I can't tell if its leaking there or not. But thanks for the help

Keep wiping things clean and watching for oil. Good thing with a truck you can crawl under without ramps or a lift. The one guy was saying the leak could cost engine damage.. well that would be an awful heavy leak. My 95 had the oil cooler lines leaking and the rear of the passenger side valve cover leaked. it didnt leave spots in the driveway but it was a bit messy underneath. It never needed oil during oil change intervals. I also own an old Harley which Ive owned since 1978. It leaks too. You could just consider it undercoating! If you cant find it just keep checking your oil regularly and watch under the truck for any increase in leakage. Some things just leak a bit. Or seep. If it just seeps an ounce between oil changes it could look like a lot of oil with the wind blowing it around and dirt adhearing to it and all. Im not saying you should let a bad oil leak keep leaking. Im just saying a small amount spreads out and maybe its not worth fixing if it is in fact just a bit of seepage. Consider the labor and expense of fixing it, compared to the amount of oil lost or wether its leaving a mess in the driveway. Mine leaked for years and never made a mess in my driveway.

Ok I will check that because I checked the oil cooler lines at the block and I can't tell if its leaking there or not. But thanks for the help

Keep wiping things clean and watching for oil. Good thing with a truck you can crawl under without ramps or a lift. The one guy was saying the leak could cost engine damage.. well that would be an awful heavy leak. My 95 had the oil cooler lines leaking and the rear of the passenger side valve cover leaked. it didnt leave spots in the driveway but it was a bit messy underneath. It never needed oil during oil change intervals. I also own an old Harley which Ive owned since 1978. It leaks too. You could just consider it undercoating! If you cant find it just keep checking your oil regularly and watch under the truck for any increase in leakage. Some things just leak a bit. Or seep. If it just seeps an ounce between oil changes it could look like a lot of oil with the wind blowing it around and dirt adhearing to it and all. Im not saying you should let a bad oil leak keep leaking. Im just saying a small amount spreads out and maybe its not worth fixing if it is in fact just a bit of seepage. Consider the labor and expense of fixing it, compared to the amount of oil lost or wether its leaving a mess in the driveway. Mine leaked for years and never made a mess in my driveway.

ohh yea.. and the Harley sits in the garage with a rug and a diaper under it!

• 4 years later...

Hey guys I have an 09 2500HD 6.0L just turned 30K miles. It's got the leaky oil cooler lines as well I noticed it last year. I tow a lot with it and I'm worried I'll blow one of those lines out towing and gernade the engine knowing my luck. Is there someone making a better line for these trucks? I'd hate to replace them with dealer lines and have this happen again. This is so common I figured someone must make a better aftermaket part by now for them! If you know any please let me know! Thanks!

Archived