Front Grinding Sound . .

pwsigmund

Question

OK. 2002 4WD Yukon. Again. You're all probably tired of hearing about it. I had a front end grinding sound noticeable when slowing to a stop. Couldn't tell which side exactly, but it is in the front. My girlfriend said she heard it on the passenger side. I knew the test procedure, so didn't think more of what she said. Next day jacked up front. Left side had good deal (half inch or more) of looseness holding at 12 and 6. No movement at all on the right side wheel. OK, good. Replaced left side bearings. You guys helped along the way.

Verdict. Seemed OK at first, but next day still hear grinding noise. It's actually louder and a lot more noticeable. Girlfriend verifies on right side. She's right. We're in parking garage which reflects sound real well, and I can hear it on right side clearly. Girlfriend makes point, several times, of "I told you so". Ah, women.

Jacked up right side. Still tight top to bottom. Didn't expect it not to be. Bought another hub for the right side. I'm going to replace the *$ right wheel bearing one way or the other, but is it possible to have a growling bearing that isn't loose? Anything else it could be? Definitely at the front right wheel, and a grinding, almost snapping noise along with it. Wheel spins OK. I compressed the dual pistons taking the caliper back off, and they aren't stuck, so I don't think the brakes were hanging up. . Brakes don't show anything abnormal, although I replaced the pads a couple weeks ago.

Am I crazy?

I'm a newb here and Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead, my wife's Tahoe has play in that flange. How hard is it to replace the output shaft bearing?

Is it leaking ?

If it's not , then what are we talking about ? , these axle shafts DO NOT have to be pressed in , that means there is some allowed movement , I've never replaced an axle shaft output bearing , so relax and get a professional inspection

I have the exact same issue right now in a '00 Jimmy, left - driver side. When you turn right, it's loud as hell, when you turn left, it goes away. No excessive play on that side. A wheel bearing is the only thing that would make that kind of deep, bassy, growling/humming/vibrating sound that reverberates through the vehicle. Can easily hear it over the radio at moderate volume.

I'll change it when it falls apart. Bearings are pricey.

Archived