How-To: Heated Steering Wheel Install GMT900 Sierra.

Trav_13

OK, Travis. I was trying to get my air bag off today and the left side clip wouldn't release. Is there some trick to this I'm not doing right?

Hey Charlie,

Completely missed this post...sorry about that...I always try to use those Craftsman pick tools....I use the straight one with the point on the end....I don't know which tool you are using but I always have trouble with the allen wrenches...are you installing the Heated Wheel also?

OK, Travis. I was trying to get my air bag off today and the left side clip wouldn't release. Is there some trick to this I'm not doing right?

Hey Charlie,

Completely missed this post...sorry about that...I always try to use those Craftsman pick tools....I use the straight one with the point on the end....I don't know which tool you are using but I always have trouble with the allen wrenches...are you installing the Heated Wheel also?

Nah, not the heated wheel, I'm changing out the audio control switch pod on the steering wheel. I'm still waiting to see if a wheel without the wood becomes available before doing that upgrade (who knows, I might decide to get a wheel with the wood and just paint it black before next winter hits :) )

I'll have to give one of those pick tools a shot; I tried both an allen wrench and a piece of welding rod the same diameter as the hole in the shroud, and neither one worked on the left side clip.

• 2 months later...

Couple of quick questions because I have came across a Cadillac Escalade at the junkyard with the heated steering wheel. How much should one of these cost coming out of the yard like this. Of course the cheaper the better for me but an idea would be pretty cool so I do go in there and pony up big bucks.

Two, what size is the nut that holds the steering wheel to the column?

I will be going down the yard in the morning to take a closer look at it.

Thanks for the writeup! I have a very basic Silverado...no moonroof, no leather, no multi-disc changer, etc. That's the way I wanted it. However, if there was any option I'd like to have, it would be a heated steering wheel. My hands get COLD in these Wisconsin winters. Just about warmed up by the time I get to work in the morning...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I decided to give GM a ride as well. All it took was a walk around the Denali and a look through the windows (the dealership was closed) and I thought, “this is my truck”. A test drive the next day removed any doubt.

Two questions:

Does the heated wheel turn on with remote start after this mod is performed to a non-Denali?

Does the heated wheel turn on with remote start in a factory installed heated wheel Denali optioned truck?

No and No...as far as I am aware...checked this out back in 07 when I installed the one in my 2007 Truck.

I decided to give GM a ride as well. All it took was a walk around the Denali and a look through the windows (the dealership was closed) and I thought, “this is my truck”. A test drive the next day removed any doubt.

Then explain to me this post of yours:

Ford was truly brillant when it elected to forgo gov't assistance and bailouts. As a result, I am one of many folks who switched loyalities from GM to Ford. I am getting ready to buy a pickup and it's going to be a Ford. In the past, I always bought GM.

• 1 month later...

Just received my heated steering wheel.Going to stop by the dealership tomorrow and order the SIR coil.I will check the fuse box to see what kind of connector I need for the hot wire.What guage of wire did you use?How do I make sure I line up the steering wheel and steering shaft so they go back together perfectly centered?Thanks,Andy.

Edited by plumber802

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Charlie,

That is VERY tempting. What would the part number be on GMPartsDirect.com?

Thanks!

We will be glad to supply the correct part numbers needed for the installation, if we could be PM'ed with a VIN from a vehicle manufactured with the heated steering wheel and list of parts needed, we can supply the correct part numbers.

Thank you,

Scott T.

GmPartsDirect.com Manager

Just received my heated steering wheel.Going to stop by the dealership tomorrow and order the SIR coil.I will check the fuse box to see what kind of connector I need for the hot wire.What guage of wire did you use?How do I make sure I line up the steering wheel and steering shaft so they go back together perfectly centered?Thanks,Andy.

Im looking for a wheel with the the audio controls for my 2010 SLE. Anybody have one they want to sell?