California Questions Benefits Of Ethanol

interesting read. i would have though CA hippy EPA would have been all over E85. force feeding us something most of us don't want.. I'm all for cleaner air, but when I'm forced to use a product that is 40-60% less efficient and cost the same, if not more $4.00+ a gal for gas I'm not a happy camper. i would like to see CA emission standards used nation wide and not just a couple of states. :rant:

:)

• 1 month later...

Why, dear God why is California always the model that we need to follow? They are going to kill ethanol off completely, not just corn based ethanol. There's so many things wrong with that article and what they're proposing. It even mentions several times that their study is nowhere near being reliable enough to base decisions off of.

This is important: "California’s rules, Salazar said, will scare off investors and the investments needed to make biofuels viable, causing more use of oil. To continue advancements towards cellulosic ethanol – which reduces greenhouse emissions by 90% compared to gasoline – and make it more cost competitive, continued investment in corn ethanol is necessary, he said."

We need corn based ethanol to set a foundation for cellulosic ethanol to prosper from. Once the infrastructure is established we can move to cheaper, easier to grow, more plentiful cellulosic ethanol that can be grown from switch grass and other plants like it.

• 3 weeks later...

the main benifit to ethanol is, it gives farmers hope to stay a float, keeps money in the states...besides that its irrelevant....cali just wants ethanol dead so they can build cars made of weed that run on THC..

My E85 is quite a bit cheaper than regular gas- I am paying around $2.35 for E85, and in the mid to high $2.80's for regular-

Yes, I know that I am supposed to get less MPG's - but there is the less cost to balance that- And, the alcohol has a higher octane rating, too. So, I am burning mostly a renewable source of energy, and saving a little money, too. What's not to like?

My E85 is quite a bit cheaper than regular gas- I am paying around $2.35 for E85, and in the mid to high $2.80's for regular-

Yes, I know that I am supposed to get less MPG's - but there is the less cost to balance that- And, the alcohol has a higher octane rating, too. So, I am burning mostly a renewable source of energy, and saving a little money, too. What's not to like?

The reason e85 is cheaper than gas is because the gov. pays 51 cents to the oil company's for every gallon they produce e85. Right now that's almost 7 billion a year. And that number is increasing exponentially.

if ethanol was half the cost of gas it would be worth it and take off, right now its too iffy and people want the short run of mph over the long term savings...other drawback is its not backwards compatable, with the current economy the majority of people are driving their beaters to death instead of investing in a newer flex fuel vehicle...i can tell you here, thats e85 is border line dead, this is corn and bean country but its just not accessable and worth it, soy bean diesel on the other hand is very popular with farmers, its rather cheap to get, only issue is the fact that it cannot be ran in older diesels because it will clean the motor clean out...i do wish we would have a decent renewable resource, but in the end we just need to start drilling and become self suffecient instead of feeding the middle east

The reason e85 is cheaper than gas is because the gov. pays 51 cents to the oil company's for every gallon they produce e85. Right now that's almost 7 billion a year. And that number is increasing exponentially.

...i can tell you here, thats e85 is border line dead,...

So, which is it? I know the government subsidizes the cost- nice for me, but it benefits the whole country because those are dollars that are staying in the US, not going to sponsor terrorism somewhere else in the world. I think it is good for the government to provide a 'push' to help get this program operational- And, my flex-fuel truck is a 2002, so I didn't spend a ton of money to get it-

• 2 weeks later...

lol how do you know some money in the states isen't funding terrorism, most middle eastern countrys are legit and crack down hard on terrorists...i just want a truck that runs of urine and garbage, i'll be set for life

Archived