5.3 Afm And Oil Consumption

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is a gm tsb that states that up to a quart of oil burnt between 3k miles is normal

I run valvoline durablend 5w30 and change it every 3k, I do not burn a drop of oil and I tow my 6x10 trailer every weekend riding mx. I have 50k on my nbs silverado as well, 2007 1500 5.3 diablo tuned with the dod shut off

there is a gm tsb that states that up to a quart of oil burnt between 3k miles is normal

I run valvoline durablend 5w30 and change it every 3k, I do not burn a drop of oil and I tow my 6x10 trailer every weekend riding mx. I have 50k on my nbs silverado as well, 2007 1500 5.3 diablo tuned with the dod shut off

The TSB # is 01-06-01-011F and it states that more than 1 quart in 2000 miles is not acceptable.

I have read several threads about 07-09 AFM 5.3's using excessive amounts of oil. Is this rare or does it occur frequently. Is it reasonable to think that most don't have this problem? Has it been confirmed that it is related to ATM?

After 25,000 miles on the 5.3 with AFM I am very happy with the engine & truck that goes with it. I have never had to add oil between oil changes, nor has the oil level been down enough to even notice. Have used 5 quts of regular dino 5-30 oil with a quart of Walmart pure synthetic for each change.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, new to the forum here I just bought a 07 silverado crew cab with 75,000. The thing smokes like a semi. I brought it back to the dealer I drove it about 1200 miles and it was 1.25 courts low. They put me on this oil consumption program and toped of my oil. I have since drove about another 900 miles and the oil is unchanged. The thing still burns oil, I can see blue smoke but the dipstick says its full. It acually looks like they over filled it when they toped it off. They ordered in the new lifter kit that they are going to put in for free. Does the kit work? is this problem going to go away or am I going to be stuck with another oil burning 5.3?

If you are seeing blue smoke, I doubt the lifter kit will fix it. I just had the lifters done at 30,000 due to oil consumption. Mine only burns at highway speed when AFM is on. So I never actually see smoke. Just sounded like a school bus with the piston slap at start up. New lifters did not fix the problem and GM knows this is not always the solution and they have another fix that should be out this summer.

If you are seeing blue smoke I would keep very close with the dealership. That oild is slipping by something. Rings, valve stem seals, could be just about anything.

["From what I've gathered on this site, and other owners that I personally know, oil consumption is not common on the 07+ 5.3 (w/ AFM). Some are reporting it on this site, but most are not. Personally, 13k miles in 1.5 years and no measurable consumption. It sounds more like a bad production run than a design issue... either that or GM used a different design for each 5.3 line... which I doubt. ]

I totally agree with the production run......one would think that GM could figure this out. Late on a Friday just before the big game????? The percentage of these motors seem to be small based on the number of people on this site talking about it. Sure would be nice if GM would just own up to it!

Any one for a poll? Oil Consumption, or Blue Smoke, or Piston Slap, or Lifter Noise.

Archived