2010 Usb

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes usb port kit would be nice. I usually carry around a 4 gig thumb drive with music and work files. Also I could use it to charge up my mp3 player, etc...

I've been looking into this as well. From the 2010 pics of a truck that a user posted, there is a USB port in the center console (jump seat). I don't think that that would be a good option for us because you would have to pull the carpet, drill/create a USB port opening in the console, etc.

I looked on Chevy's website at the interior pics of the 2010 Silverado and they have the usb port in the right side 12v socket under the HVAC. I don't like this idea either because you give up a 12v source.

Finally I was looking at pics of the radio of a 2010 Malibu and the radio has a USB port where the current AUX jack is on our 2007-09 radios. The AUX jack has been moved to the left side of the radio on the Malibu. I hope that the radio from the Malibu can be used in the Silverado because I like this set-up the best.

I've been looking into this as well. From the 2010 pics of a truck that a user posted, there is a USB port in the center console (jump seat). I don't think that that would be a good option for us because you would have to pull the carpet, drill/create a USB port opening in the console, etc.

I looked on Chevy's website at the interior pics of the 2010 Silverado and they have the usb port in the right side 12v socket under the HVAC. I don't like this idea either because you give up a 12v source.

Finally I was looking at pics of the radio of a 2010 Malibu and the radio has a USB port where the current AUX jack is on our 2007-09 radios. The AUX jack has been moved to the left side of the radio on the Malibu. I hope that the radio from the Malibu can be used in the Silverado because I like this set-up the best.

Nope, it can't. Sorry.

Why not? Software?, Color Display, Connections or Fit? :lol: You got me curious on this one... :lol:

My understanding after talking to folks at the dealership is that the electronics in the GMT900s vs. most other car lines aren't interchangeable. This applied to the audio system, onstar components, and vehicle computer controls.

• 1 month later...

Well I found a picture where these are located... :uhoh: The USB picture I found has it located in the cigarette lighter on the right side just below the A/C control. The code GM uses for it is USR. Now to figure out if we need a completly new radio or can the USB harness be installed and the radio re-programmed? :angel:

DSC03518.jpg">

There is another discussion about IPODs on this forum but for now lets stay focused on getting the right hardware. I stopped by my dealer and talked with a very helpful parts guy. When I first mentioned it he thought I was on crack, but I showed him the picture and got him curious. This is what we found out...

The part number for the USB port is 25966008 -but I tired it out and it does not come up in GMpartsdirect yet.

The part number for the USB data cable is 20828635 - also not coming up. It appeared this cable might plug into another module before the radio but it wasn't clear and a long line was building behind me. It would make sense these trucks have a module similar to a uPac29 that communicates with the radio via 29-bit LAN bus. The next step is to talk to a service guy and see if they can shed anymore light on this... :tumbleweed:

There is another discussion about IPODs on this forum but for now lets stay focused on getting the right hardware. I stopped by my dealer and talked with a very helpful parts guy. When I first mentioned it he thought I was on crack, but I showed him the picture and got him curious. This is what we found out...

The part number for the USB port is 25966008 -but I tired it out and it does not come up in GMpartsdirect yet.

The part number for the USB data cable is 20828635 - also not coming up. It appeared this cable might plug into another module before the radio but it wasn't clear and a long line was building behind me. It would make sense these trucks have a module similar to a uPac29 that communicates with the radio via 29-bit LAN bus. The next step is to talk to a service guy and see if they can shed anymore light on this... :tumbleweed:

Thanks for the recon report Zakman. What dealer did you go to? I have a free oil change due soon and was going to ask about the USB installation/radio at Luther's in Brooklyn Park (where I bought my truck).

In addition to the cabling and port, at the very least it seems like you'd also need to have some kind of update to the HU to be able to accept the new signal for USB input and provide on-screen controls. Assuming it's not a different model. But I'd love to see this available as an "upgrade" option for earlier GMT-900's. Especially considering this should have been standard when the new trucks came out.

Both parts come up in gmpartsdirect.com for around 17 bucks each plus shipping

Archived