2010 Usb

My '10 Sierra has the USB port in the dash (truck style dash - it's in one of the power points under the HVAC controls). From reading here my understanding is that it's just a simple mini USB plug that plugs into the back of the stereo.

So, would it be as simple as getting some sort of USB splitter or hub and running a couple USB cords with the correct connectors (male/female) to the glovebox and the center armrest/storage (I've got the front bench) if you wanted to add more options on where to connect devices? I don't use portable music players that often, but when I do it'd be nice to be able to connect it in the glove box or center armrest/storage area out of sight instead of having the cord and player visible when plugged into the dash.

If and when you do run a USB hub off your factory radio, can you please give us the (radio's :rolleyes: ) GM P/N off it? We now have 2 radio part numbers out there and one may be outdated.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got a 2010 Escalade and it has the USB port in the center glove box, the iPod/iPhone works great with the steering wheel controls, but the big bonus is that the Nav is able to be programmed while driving, unlike my other Escalades that you needed a lock pick of some kind to do that, or pull over and put it in park. Took a lot of years but they got it right. :rolleyes:

That is interesting. 2006 model still had the ability to input addresses in motion. 2002-9 did not. I wonder what changed their minds on the 2010? The LockPick is still needed for video in motion, I am assuming.

I do not have not tried the DVD yet, I would guess you still need a lock pick, but I thought that anout the Nav too. I will check later tonight when we get home

I wonder how many redios have the USB input, because there are a few stereos, Navigation, Bose, CD Changer, MP3 CD, CD, No CD, and the combinations of those, etc... Thats why when I got a part number I listed what features were associated with that part number.

If and when you do run a USB hub off your factory radio, can you please give us the GM P/N off it? We now have 2 radio part numbers out there and one may be outdated.

Went ahead and pulled the dash off to take a look at the USB connector, so here ya go, although this is probably going to throw a third part number out there since I had ordered my truck with the upgrade to the non-Bose stereo with the integrated 6-disc CD changer: 25966516. But it looks and fits just like the ones without the 6-disc changer, so if you want a CD changer it's nice option.

Pic and radio details of my unit from the GM ordering site:

25814603_us9.jpg

UUN - Audio system, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible 6-disc CD player, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), automatic volume, TheftLock, auxiliary input jack, USB port and 36 cross-band presets

I wonder how many redios have the USB input, because there are a few stereos, Navigation, Bose, CD Changer, MP3 CD, CD, No CD, and the combinations of those, etc... Thats why when I got a part number I listed what features were associated with that part number.

I counted 5 available on the Sierra with USB according to the GM ordering site; a non-nav AM/FM/CD (UUI), the non-nav AM/FM/6-disc changer (UUN), the non-nav AM/FM/CD/DVD (UUJ) which I guess is meant to use to play videos on rear monitors(?), the nav AM/FM/CD/DVD (UUK), and the nav AM/FM/CD (UUL). I didn't see any that were specifically Bose or non-Bose, so maybe that's some other component that isn't radio-specific?

If and when you do run a USB hub off your factory radio, can you please give us the GM P/N off it? We now have 2 radio part numbers out there and one may be outdated.

I don't think he's talking about a GM part.... he's just talking about a regular USB hub for computer peripherals.

That might be possible, my only concern would be whether or not the USB port on the back of the radio would supply enough power to run the hub along with anything connected to it. I would especially imagine you wouldn't be able to run more than one device off it at the same time (say, plugging in an ipod and charging a cell phone both at the same time) but anything is possible I suppose.

I counted 5 available on the Sierra with USB according to the GM ordering site; a non-nav AM/FM/CD (UUI), the non-nav AM/FM/6-disc changer (UUN), the non-nav AM/FM/CD/DVD (UUJ) which I guess is meant to use to play videos on rear monitors(?), the nav AM/FM/CD/DVD (UUK), and the nav AM/FM/CD (UUL). I didn't see any that were specifically Bose or non-Bose, so maybe that's some other component that isn't radio-specific?

One thing I've learned about GM parts is that often times there are 3-4 different part numbers that all refer to the exact same physical part. They're listed separately because the same part goes into vehicles from different divisions. So if you have a Chevrolet with a 6CD changer with USB, it will be exactly the same as the one for a GMC, but the GMC will show up in GM's database under a different part number.

So as far as part numbers go, it really doesn't matter which one you use as long as it's the correct physical part.

I don't think he's talking about a GM part.... he's just talking about a regular USB hub for computer peripherals.

That might be possible, my only concern would be whether or not the USB port on the back of the radio would supply enough power to run the hub along with anything connected to it. I would especially imagine you wouldn't be able to run more than one device off it at the same time (say, plugging in an ipod and charging a cell phone both at the same time) but anything is possible I suppose.

I read his question to mean that he wanted the part # off my radio since it's got USB.

I just got a 2010 Escalade and it has the USB port in the center glove box, the iPod/iPhone works great with the steering wheel controls, but the big bonus is that the Nav is able to be programmed while driving, unlike my other Escalades that you needed a lock pick of some kind to do that, or pull over and put it in park. Took a lot of years but they got it right. :rolleyes:

That is interesting. 2006 model still had the ability to input addresses in motion. 2002-9 did not. I wonder what changed their minds on the 2010? The LockPick is still needed for video in motion, I am assuming.

No go on the DVD while in drive, it locks it out when you go into drive, but Nav works any time :lol:

Fixed!!! Hopefully a little clearer now... :rolleyes:

One thing I've learned about GM parts is that often times there are 3-4 different part numbers that all refer to the exact same physical part. They're listed separately because the same part goes into vehicles from different divisions. So if you have a Chevrolet with a 6CD changer with USB, it will be exactly the same as the one for a GMC, but the GMC will show up in GM's database under a different part number.

So as far as part numbers go, it really doesn't matter which one you use as long as it's the correct physical part.

Well boys and girls, the USB NAV (2010 model) I purchased off E-Bay is installed and just about everything works. The install was almost painless except the harness from the On* unit requires adding two more wires to an existing plug. Should be no problem except the little pin that locks the plug together broke off and we could not get it apart to add the wires already terminated with GM pins. We resorted to splicing the two wires onto the Lockpick harness. Not my first choice but it works just fine. The rest of the wires just plugged right in. There was one harness included that had no identification but was long enough to reach the box behind the e-brake. The other end fit the radio and had a single RCA coming out. RSE or Backup Cam? No idea. Anyway , when we opened up the box, there was one jack at the bottom that was a perfect match for the plug so that is where it went. VSS?

Powered up the NAV and tested XM, FM, BT, GPS and noticed there is an option to turn off in motion restrictions for NAV. No need for LockPick now except for video in motion, I guess. It is not working anyway and their tech has not called back. Everything else worked perfectly except for the USB. It is there as an option under the AUX button but just grayed out or inactive. However, do not be discouraged. Both my installer and I think the problem is that we do not have the factory cable and outlet. If you remember the picture I posted earlier, the port on the back is a mini USB port used mostly on peripherals. It is not like the port on a computer which is what the factory port is. Because no one seems to make a cable that matches this combination, we tried a small, unpowered USB hub. This at least got the ports right but neither the iPod nor a USB thumb drive were recognized by the NAV unit. It did light up the thumb drive and cause the iPod to "wake up" but not charge.

So, what I am lacking now are the right part numbers for the factory cable and outlet/adapter and any other parts in between. The ones posted on page one are for the base interior models. I am looking for the parts that work in the SLT/SUV interiors with buckets and center console. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Well boys and girls, the USB NAV (2010 model) I purchased off E-Bay is installed and jsut about everything works. The install was almost painless except the harness from the On* unit requires adding two more wires to an existing plug. Should be no problem except the little pin that locks the plug together broke off and we could not get it apart to add the already terminated with GM pins. We resorted to splicing the two wires onto the Lockpick harness. Not my first choice but it works just fine. The rest of the wires just plugged right in. There was one harness included that had no identification but was long enough to reach the box behind the e-brake. The other end fit the radio and had a single RCA coming out. RSE or Backup Cam? No idea. Anyway , when we opened up the box, there was one jack at the bottom that was a perfect match for the plug so that is where it went. VSS?

Powered up the NAV and tested XM, FM, BT, GPS and noticed there is an option to turn off in motion restrictions for NAV. No need for LockPick now except for video in motion, I guess. It is not working anyway and their tech has not called back. Everything else worked perfectly except for the USB. It is there as an option under the AUX button but just grayed out or inactive. However, do not be discouraged. Both my installer and I think the problem is that we do not have the factory cable and outlet. If you remember the picture I posted earlier, the port on the back is a mini USB port used mostly on peripherals. It is not like the port on a computer which is what the factory port is. Because no one seems to make a cable that matches this combination, we tried a small, unpowered USB hub. This at least got the ports right but neither the iPod nor a USB thumb drive were recognized by the NAV unit. It did light up the thumb drive and cause the iPod to "wake up" but not charge.

So, what I am lacking now are the right part numbers for the factory cable and outlet/adapter and any other parts in between. The ones posted on page one are for the base interior models. I am looking for the parts that work in the SLT/SUV interiors with buckets and center console. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You could get a VIN from the lot that has what you are looking for and then take it to the parts department. I am sure someone will chime in though.

Well boys and girls, the USB NAV (2010 model) I purchased off E-Bay is installed and jsut about everything works. The install was almost painless except the harness from the On* unit requires adding two more wires to an existing plug. Should be no problem except the little pin that locks the plug together broke off and we could not get it apart to add the already terminated with GM pins. We resorted to splicing the two wires onto the Lockpick harness. Not my first choice but it works just fine. The rest of the wires just plugged right in. There was one harness included that had no identification but was long enough to reach the box behind the e-brake. The other end fit the radio and had a single RCA coming out. RSE or Backup Cam? No idea. Anyway , when we opened up the box, there was one jack at the bottom that was a perfect match for the plug so that is where it went. VSS?

You could get a VIN from the lot that has what you are looking for and then take it to the parts department. I am sure someone will chime in though.

OK but so I don't sound like a complete idoit (I'm close), what do I ask for? I might have to bring the local parts guy a bribe. I hope he likes wine!

Well I took another one for the team and ordered the $241 and some change 20918430 radio from GMpartsdirect.com -its only money right? :dunno: We'll see if they can ship it out to me or not and how loong... it will take. When I get it and the other two components I'll install and give details. Untill then, stay tuned... :dunno:

Well I took another one for the team and ordered the $241 and some change 20918430 radio from GMpartsdirect.com -its only money right? :dunno: We'll see if they can ship it out to me or not and how loong... it will take. When I get it and the other two components I'll install and give details. Untill then, stay tuned... :dunno:

Keep us posted, can you post what radio you have now, rpo code or part number or description? Perhaps compared to what the part number you ordered provides?

GREAT NEWS!

The 2010 NAV with USB now works perfectly. I was able to get the USB working by removing the unpowered hub and adding a female to female adapter on the cable. I now have OEM iPod control !!!

The LockPick decided to start working today or maybe I just figured out the right combination of button presses. The one thing I noticed, however, is that the LockPick settings take over the NAV in motion completely. In other words, the 2010 NAV already has the option for use in motion but the LockPick will override it! This is frustrating because it looks like the LockPick reverts to NAV in motion OFF every time the car is started. :lol:

Their tech support still has not called back. I'm hoping that there is some kind of flash update to this thing. If not, I am ripping it out. The only thing it is good for on 2010 models is video in motion and that is not important to me.

Archived