In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Is The Black Bear Tune Worth It?

what a huge improvement with the black bear tune! I had justin do my tune and keep it 87 octane. We removed 75% tranny torque management and all of the engine torque management and went the step up from stock on shift firmness.

What an amazing difference! The truck's driveability is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better and the minute you stomp on the gas it goes!! Keep in mine is an 87 octane tune, just imagine going with a 93 tune or such!! Very happy!

I had the diablo before hand and just didnt really notice anything at all with it. The main reason I had it was to disable dod.

Go black bear all the way! Best bet is fork over the 420 and you will get a new ecm and tcm that is tuned and plugs right in( you just need to get a crank re learn done at the dealer with the tech 2, takes less than 3 minutes!) Let justin know if you are military for a discount

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a wester's tune does any one here know how they match to a blackbear tune ? The tahoe does get up and go from a dead stop.

I have heard nothing but good things about Westers so I think they are comparable IMO. I do like the logging that Justin does. I actually purchased EFILive and did a few iterations of the tune based on logging. I think it is a little more specific to YOUR vehicle than a generic tune for your model.

Does using a laptop have any benefits other then being able to do the crank relearn? Say for instance could you borrow someones laptop to do the crank relearn? If using a borrowed laptop does it have to be connected during all the data logging, in order to do the crank relearn?

I have a wester's tune does any one here know how they match to a blackbear tune ? The tahoe does get up and go from a dead stop.

I have heard nothing but good things about Westers so I think they are comparable IMO. I do like the logging that Justin does. I actually purchased EFILive and did a few iterations of the tune based on logging. I think it is a little more specific to YOUR vehicle than a generic tune for your model.

Not to highjack, but where and how much for the EFILive2 and can you return to OEM tune on your PCM and TCM with it?

I had the 93 tune done on my Vortec Max. Before it was like you were always dragging an anchor around, now it's like somebody cut the rope. I love the new power, but having that instant throttle response when I want to use it is awesome. You WILL NOT be sorry you did it.

I have a few friends who have GM trucks/suburbans/Yukons and a variety of mods have been performed. I strongly considered K&N/Gibson Exhaust/programmer. A buddy went this route and spent about $1500 including installation. Was performance improved, yes but nothing that really impressed me.

Last Friday Justin did a tune on my 07 Denali with 6.2L. Performance was decent in stock condition but I have always wanted more. Justin did the 93 Oct/tune and tuned the tranny torque managemnt (right now can only be done with an "in person tune"). Without question this was the best $250 I have ever spent on any vehicle in the last 25 years. The tranny downshift problem I encountered since 4/07 while using the cruise control. Slight inclinces at 70-80 mph with cruise engaged would bring downshifts to 5th and even 4th. That has been cured. It holds 6th gear far better than before. Under power, it shifts far better than it did. It does not "slide" into gear, its shifts. I dont mean hit, it just shifts the way it should. I gained about 1 mpg on my trip from Houston on a 500 mile drive. Avg'd 19.1 on my return trip.

The power increase or better said, the "drivability" of the vehicle is vastly improved. This thing really runs. Downshifting for passing is night and day. For a very large rig it really moves. I wish I could have the tune on my wifes Cadillac SRX.

Does using a laptop have any benefits other then being able to do the crank relearn? Say for instance could you borrow someones laptop to do the crank relearn? If using a borrowed laptop does it have to be connected during all the data logging, in order to do the crank relearn?

It is not a laptop that is needed for the crank relearn, it is the software/hardware such as EFILive, HPTuners, or a Tech II. For the folks that choose the cable tune, they are able to use the cable to perform the crank relearn. Justin also performs the crank relearn for his inperson customers. But like I stated, any mechanic with access to a Tech II or the like, can perform the crank relearn.

Not to highjack, but where and how much for the EFILive2 and can you return to OEM tune on your PCM and TCM with it?

Yes, if you have an EFILive scan/tune tool, you can upload tunes to the tool, and flash your computer back and forth as you please. This includes flashing with the stock tune. Quite a few of our customers with the 6spd have purchased the V2 scan/tune tool in order to have both their ECM and TCM tuned (as their TCM is internal to their transmission).

We are Authorized EFILive Dealers. Check out www.efilive.com to see what each of their products do. I can't post our prices in public, but if you are interested, please shoot me an email ([email protected]).

It is not a laptop that is needed for the crank relearn, it is the software/hardware such as EFILive, HPTuners, or a Tech II. For the folks that choose the cable tune, they are able to use the cable to perform the crank relearn. Justin also performs the crank relearn for his inperson customers. But like I stated, any mechanic with access to a Tech II or the like, can perform the crank relearn.

Yes, if you have an EFILive scan/tune tool, you can upload tunes to the tool, and flash your computer back and forth as you please. This includes flashing with the stock tune. Quite a few of our customers with the 6spd have purchased the V2 scan/tune tool in order to have both their ECM and TCM tuned (as their TCM is internal to their transmission).

We are Authorized EFILive Dealers. Check out www.efilive.com to see what each of their products do. I can't post our prices in public, but if you are interested, please shoot me an email ([email protected]).

Thanks Jennabear, the reason I asked is because your website states that a laptop is "highly" recommended for the cable tune. Are you saying that the laptop is "only" used for the crank relearn? So if I had a laptop I wouldn't have to pay a stealership fifty or more dollars? Also I would like to give you a BIG thumbs up for being so helpful for these sometimes dumb questions.

hey rampage dont sweat the crank re learn, its no biggy at all. The dealer shouldnt charge you, if they are decent. It literally takes less than 3 minutes. I know some dealer's will charge for everything but just ask them and maybe they will hook you up! I just pulled up to the service door, the asst manager came out, hooked it up to the tec h 2, went to the crank re learn under special test, banged the rev limiter a couple times and done! thats it!

Just fyi the Genisys scan tool doesnt work. I am a tech at a ford dealership and tried using it but according to gm tech line only the tech 2 works or the efi live stuff!

Thanks Jennabear, the reason I asked is because your website states that a laptop is "highly" recommended for the cable tune. Are you saying that the laptop is "only" used for the crank relearn? So if I had a laptop I wouldn't have to pay a stealership fifty or more dollars? Also I would like to give you a BIG thumbs up for being so helpful for these sometimes dumb questions.

We state the laptop, as it is easier to record direct to the laptop from the cable that we send out. Then you have the log files on your computer to email to us. The laptop also makes the crank relearn easier with the cable. But to answer your question, it isn't the laptop that performs the crank relearn, it is the cable.

You are more than welcome on the answers to the questions. I am sure your questions are the same that some others may have, so it is my job to make it as understandable as possible.

To say it's worth it is a huge understatement. Justin tuned my wifes Tahoe yesterday and it felt like a completely new machine when he was done. The hoe is bone stock other than the tune and I think it'll spank my truck which has a custom tune, CAI and exhaust!!!

Customer service is second to none. Email response was excellent. Do it, you won't regret it.

I gotta tell ya, I'm really impressed with what I"m hearing about the BB Tune but I gotta ask though. Are the majority of you willing to give up your warranties for the Tune? How are you dealing with that? Seems most of you have pretty new trucks. What happens if you ever had some sort of issue that you needed to take your truck in. I'm sure GM wouldn't look to favorably that you had a tune and would void your warranty on the spot.

Thanks!

I gotta tell ya, I'm really impressed with what I"m hearing about the BB Tune but I gotta ask though. Are the majority of you willing to give up your warranties for the Tune? How are you dealing with that? Seems most of you have pretty new trucks. What happens if you ever had some sort of issue that you needed to take your truck in. I'm sure GM wouldn't look to favorably that you had a tune and would void your warranty on the spot.

Thanks!

I can only comment for my self, but here is my take on it. The simple answer is yes, I feel the tune is worth the power train warranty. Do I want to lose my warranty? No, but if I did it would not be the end of the world.

I did purchase (as do many) a spare set of computers (ECM and TCM) and had them tuned leaving the stock computers alone. But, I have had my truck in for warranty work multiple times and I have yet to change them out when going to the dealership. I have just to feel the difference in tunes. You forget how much better the Black Bear tune is until you go back to stock.