In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Is The Black Bear Tune Worth It?

I'm still stock, but I would be shocked if the dealer I use would ever look for such a thing. Unless you have a hard part failure in the engine/transmission... they don't care and, frankly, don't have time to go looking for user mods that *may* be an issue. That said, honesty is always the right thing, so it is a risk you take when you decide to modify. Other buyers shouldn't pay for me breaking something while horsing around... but I shouldn't be expected to pay for something that breaks and has nothing to do with a modification either. So... play if we want, but be man enough to pay if we know we broke it. Now that I'm thinking... if I trashed the transmission I'd have an excuse to drop a 6L80 in front of my 3.73 rear... hmmm....

Edited by music
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time I hear about the Blackbear tuning.

I went into their web page and noticed that I just missed an event on Houston, TX.

They do in-person tunings anywhere in the country if a group of 10 people request it.

So if there's anyone in the Rio Grande Valley interested please let me know.

[email protected]

Its good to know there some Rio Grande Valley people here on the forums! I'm from the RGV, and I made the trip to Houston this past weekend and got the blackbear tune. It's like night and day! I have an 09 silverado crew cab with the 5.3/6spd that Justin tuned. The shifts are smoother, throttle response is much quicker and the all around drivability has increased. No more hesitation! Just tap on the gas and it goes! We did a few test runs and Justin actually made my truck burn rubber when shifting from first to second. AMAZING! Justin even said my tune was the best one he's ever done on a six speed silverado. He was very happy with the results, as was I!

I gotta tell ya, I'm really impressed with what I"m hearing about the BB Tune but I gotta ask though. Are the majority of you willing to give up your warranties for the Tune? How are you dealing with that? Seems most of you have pretty new trucks. What happens if you ever had some sort of issue that you needed to take your truck in. I'm sure GM wouldn't look to favorably that you had a tune and would void your warranty on the spot.

Thanks!

I can only comment for my self, but here is my take on it. The simple answer is yes, I feel the tune is worth the power train warranty. Do I want to lose my warranty? No, but if I did it would not be the end of the world.

I did purchase (as do many) a spare set of computers (ECM and TCM) and had them tuned leaving the stock computers alone. But, I have had my truck in for warranty work multiple times and I have yet to change them out when going to the dealership. I have just to feel the difference in tunes. You forget how much better the Black Bear tune is until you go back to stock.

You're not kidding, I honestly didn't notice a whole lot when I first got the tune. Then I put the stock computers in to get AFM turned off by mail and it sucked. I missed my tune so much.

I didn't know you could buy spare computers. I assumed they would be pretty pricey.

You guys are really tempting me. I just figured now a days that anything you take your truck in for they would have to connect it to computer and see something like. CODED BY BLackBEAR!. F Da EPA! lol!.

This is the first time I hear about the Blackbear tuning.

I went into their web page and noticed that I just missed an event on Houston, TX.

They do in-person tunings anywhere in the country if a group of 10 people request it.

So if there's anyone in the Rio Grande Valley interested please let me know.

[email protected]

Its good to know there some Rio Grande Valley people here on the forums! I'm from the RGV, and I made the trip to Houston this past weekend and got the blackbear tune. It's like night and day! I have an 09 silverado crew cab with the 5.3/6spd that Justin tuned. The shifts are smoother, throttle response is much quicker and the all around drivability has increased. No more hesitation! Just tap on the gas and it goes! We did a few test runs and Justin actually made my truck burn rubber when shifting from first to second. AMAZING! Justin even said my tune was the best one he's ever done on a six speed silverado. He was very happy with the results, as was I!

Spread the word!

When you tell your friends about it, if they're interested, tell them to contact me, I'm very interested in getting this tune.

I didn't know you could buy spare computers. I assumed they would be pretty pricey.

You guys are really tempting me. I just figured now a days that anything you take your truck in for they would have to connect it to computer and see something like. CODED BY BLackBEAR!. F Da EPA! lol!.

They are not too expensive. I bought them straight from Justin and they cost $220 for the pair.

Wow I'm glad I found this forum. You guys have been a lot of help and I've already learned a lot on here. I'm contacting Justin to have it done.

Ahh....Your a very smart man,You will not be disappointed!! :puke:

If you want to get it done, check out the Black Bear section of this forum.

There you'll find in-person meets that you can go to.

You can find even more info on the tunes themselves too.

Or you can go to blackbearperformance.com and click on Calendar of Events at the top, then scroll to the bottom.

I'm getting it done the end of April.

From what I hear, in-person is the BEST way to go.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Justin was in town this weekend and let me just tell you, not only did the tune do wonders on my truck, it was awesome to have someone as knowledgable as Justin right there to help answer questions and consider my personal preferences to help refine the tune to my expectations.

Justin was patient and very professional throughout the whole experience. Simply put.... Good, honest, genuine peeps!

And guys, considering Justin is usually not a local when he comes to your city for the tune, if the location chosen is a known bust, let him know! We had to change spots due to an overachieving security guard that had no communication to his superiors on a saturday afternoon. Point is, if you know a better spot with a good staging area and plenty of traffic free streets to perform good solid pulls, let Justin know before all the deposits have been fulfilled. He will surely appreciate this.

Oh wait there is one thing to consider about this tune... You won't be able to stay out of your truck for days!!!

Every single posting, thread, and forum I have read about the Black Bear tune has stated:

-easy to talk to

-amazing customer support

-love the tune

-Justin knows what he's doing

The list goes on and on.

In addition to all the great reviews of Black Bear Performance and Justin, you also get free re-tunes as long as you own the truck. You just pay to ship the PCM/TCM to and from Black Bear and that's it.

What more can you ask for?

I gotta tell ya, I'm really impressed with what I"m hearing about the BB Tune but I gotta ask though. Are the majority of you willing to give up your warranties for the Tune? How are you dealing with that? Seems most of you have pretty new trucks. What happens if you ever had some sort of issue that you needed to take your truck in. I'm sure GM wouldn't look to favorably that you had a tune and would void your warranty on the spot.

Thanks!

The Magneson act puts the burden of proving that a modification actually caused a failure on the dealer or warranty provider. In other words, if you did a tune and your brakes went out then you are good. If you did a tune and slung a rod the dealer would be required to prove that the tune caused the rod failure. (I am pretty certain that they would say it did if they found that you had it.)

They can only void the warranty on the items affected by the tune, once proven. Some dealerships around me sell plug in tuners from their parts departments. If you buy a new truck and use a handheld purchased from the dealership, do you think they would really void the warranty? No way in hell because they just made even more money from you, and even more from the warranty claim if something breaks.