Tpms Reset

FWIW: I have an '07 GMC. I have a friend who owns a brake/alignment shop. He states that some of the '07 GM trucks are hard to reset even with his $300+ tool. I had tried mine multiple times and not gotten it to work. He tried it a few times and could not get it to work. He sends them to the local Chev dealer who resets them with better equipment and charges GM, regardless of Chevy or GMC. So--it may be the sensors they used for some period of time. David

How accurate are these sensors ?

I reset mine to read the correct corner of the truck, and I also adjusted the tire pressures to 36 psi in all 4 tires. The TPMS confirmed the 36 psi.

Then while driving the next day, I checked it to see how much they had heated up, and got 4 different readings, ranging from 34 psi to 40 psi.

Just wondering if they are accurate, or just close.

I tried for 4 hours over the weekend to reset my TPMS on my 2007 and could not get past the second tire. I think out of all of the times I tried I only got the driver side tire to honk 3 or 4 times. When I did I would move on to the pass. side tire and could never get a honk. I tried everything... letting air out slow then tried letting it out fast then tried filling up with air and never got it to work.

So I did some searching and found this tool on tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=111

I got it today and took it out of the box and within 2 minutes had the TPMS reset. I guess I could have gone to the dealer to do it. But I just didn't want to have to go to the dealer every time I rotate my tires. So I think this little thing is worth the money to me. :dunno:

Edited by Ironman24

If you're having trouble getting it to work try running a large magnet across the sensor as you're letting air out. I do this on the Vette and don't even need to let any air out but I do on the truck. I have a friend's truck where I can just use the magnet, so I'm guessing there are differences in the TPMS that's making it easier for some than others... I got a big magnet from Harbor Freight for ~$5 that works great. An old speaker magnet would work well too.

Magnet works for the older Corvettes, my TPMS tool came with a magnet for the older Corvettes. Using the magnet on your truck is probably just a placebo affect. Have no explaination for your friends truck.

I could never get mine to work and after A LOT of searching I found a service bulletin for certain types of valve stem type (rubber I think it was) letting air out causes a harmonic vibration so the sensor thinks it rolling instead of sending position information and that the programming tool was the only was to get them to register.

Wonderful design. Oh well, the OTC 3833 is a nice tool.

I tried for 4 hours over the weekend to reset my TPMS on my 2007 and could not get past the second tire. I think out of all of the times I tried I only got the driver side tire to honk 3 or 4 times. When I did I would move on to the pass. side tire and could never get a honk. I tried everything... letting air out slow then tried letting it out fast then tried filling up with air and never got it to work.

So I did some searching and found this tool on tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=111

I got it today and took it out of the box and within 2 minutes had the TPMS reset. I guess I could have gone to the dealer to do it. But I just didn't want to have to go to the dealer every time I rotate my tires. So I think this little thing is worth the money to me. :thumbs:

My dealer was completely oblivious. On my 07, the guy got in the truck, turned it on, hit the button on the dash, the horn honked, he turned it off, and handed me the keys. I said something about how the manual says that's not right. I forget what happened then, I know I was pissed and left. The mechanics at that dealer are completely worthless.

Edited by brims

• 5 years later...

Yah i tried the method using the DIC button and the prompt to learn wasn't showing up, as soon as i used my keyless entry FOB and pressed the two buttons for 5 seconds with the e-brake on the horn beeped twice and it was easy from there on, just let air out of each tire starting at passenger front and wait for horn good to go. Thanks for the help guys.

• 1 month later...

Just purchased these "Take-Offs" from a 2015 Chevy Sierra. Tire PSI 55 Cold Load Range "E" and put them on my 2005 Yukon.

Key on O.K.

Park switch 4 times 1 Beep O.K.

Air up and or air down, No O.K.

Tried from 5 sec, 8 sec, 10 sec. to 30 sec then all the way 120 seconds. no luck ?

I did just read about the rubber stems and there could be something to that ?

is this a freebie at the dealer ? or 85.00 service fee ?

Thanks, Kurt

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Bigsteve said:

Trying to reset my tire location after rotating my tires. Pressed lock and unlock horn beeped twice and driverside parking lite came on let our air no beep . Tire was just about flat. Truck is a 2013 gmc sierra

From 2010 on you need the tool to relearn your TPMS locations.  It is optional before that year.