Low Drone Or Drone Free 6.0 Muffler?

Currently looking for a muffler (NOT an entire savings account draining cat-back system) for an '04 light duty 2500 crew 4WD 6.0. I'm looking for something with a little rumble at idle and some "guts" when you accelerate. I had a Flowmaster American Thunder series on an old 1997 5.7 K1500. It was, to me, perfect. At start-up, it rumbled and you knew it was there when on the gas. There does not appear to be a 70 series (what was on my '97) for my 6.0 gasser. BUT, the 50 series SUV muffler will do. And I'm looking for keeping a single side exit tailpipe as well.

I'm NOT a Flowmaster fanboy....I just have had good experiences with them. I am definitely open to all brands of mufflers. Flo-Pro has their Big Oval series specifically for the 6.0 GM trucks so I am willing to look elsewhere other than Flowmaster.

Appreciate any opinions and/or firsthand experiences. I definitely do NOT want anything real loud.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure when the 6.0 came out wih the similar exhaust as the 8.1 dual 3" in/out, but the magnaflow 12599 really has done what you are looking for. I cut my muffler out and bought 2 pieces of flared 3" pipe, which I cut about 4" long and welded it al up. The reason for the 4" pieces was to open the center up a bit to fit the stock exhaust on the rear side. The front will fit will a bit of muscle, but the rear needed extra.

Currently looking for a muffler (NOT an entire savings account draining cat-back system) for an '04 light duty 2500 crew 4WD 6.0. I'm looking for something with a little rumble at idle and some "guts" when you accelerate. I had a Flowmaster American Thunder series on an old 1997 5.7 K1500. It was, to me, perfect. At start-up, it rumbled and you knew it was there when on the gas. There does not appear to be a 70 series (what was on my '97) for my 6.0 gasser. BUT, the 50 series SUV muffler will do. And I'm looking for keeping a single side exit tailpipe as well.

I'm NOT a Flowmaster fanboy....I just have had good experiences with them. I am definitely open to all brands of mufflers. Flo-Pro has their Big Oval series specifically for the 6.0 GM trucks so I am willing to look elsewhere other than Flowmaster.

Appreciate any opinions and/or firsthand experiences. I definitely do NOT want anything real loud.

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Flo Pro 2506. I have one is my 2500HD w/6.0L.

i Have also had this problem. I have an 04 6.0 and I'm having a tough time deciding on a muffler. Same as you I don't want any drone but I want a nice sound that won't break the bank. I've ben leaning towards the flo pro 2505, but nobody knows anything about it. And there is videos on flo pro's website but it is the quiter 2504. Everything I've heard about flo pro is good everybody that has them likes them

i Have also had this problem. I have an 04 6.0 and I'm having a tough time deciding on a muffler. Same as you I don't want any drone but I want a nice sound that won't break the bank. I've ben leaning towards the flo pro 2505, but nobody knows anything about it. And there is videos on flo pro's website but it is the quieter 2504. Everything I've heard about flo pro is good everybody that has them likes them

I hear ya Jeff. I posted here b/c I saw your thread on FSC and it didn't seem like very many 6.0 guys were giving their views. Not that ya mind 5.3 and 5.7 owners piping up but I want to hear from 6.0 guys. I e-mailed Flo-Pro and I think they recommended their 2503(?) muffler. I want some rumble; not too concerned about performance. I think I'm headed for a Blackbear tune for that.

I'll keep my eyes on this thread as well. And BTW, nice last name! Mine is spelled the same way!

yea the 5.3 and 5.7 guys always comment and most guys say FLOWMASTER!!!! while they may sound awesome on those motors they are ear-bleeding on the 6.0, I might just take the plunge and get the flo pro 2505. I've heard various magnaflow setups, but everybody has a different oppinion on sound

their 2503 is just about as quite as stock. 2504 is louder and meant for custom duel exhaust. 2506 is meant to fit in the stock location and louder than the 2504. 2505 is the loudest and fits in the stock location. I read somewhere that just changing the muffler added 7 hp and 27 ft/lbs. I find it hard to believe.

their 2503 is just about as quite as stock. 2504 is louder and meant for custom duel exhaust. 2506 is meant to fit in the stock location and louder than the 2504. 2505 is the loudest and fits in the stock location. I read somewhere that just changing the muffler added 7 hp and 27 ft/lbs. I find it hard to believe.

That's just it Jeff. I do NOT want duals out the rear. I want to be able to hear myself think when I'm hooking and unhooking trailers, campers, etc from my truck. Or when I'm standing at the back of the truck while it's idling. Duals at the rear will do that....drive me crazy!!! Stock exhaust location will keep me one happy camper!

Or you can wait and keep checking w/ salvage yards. I visit for different things, and found one. I asked the guy how much? He said $50? Sold

I had a muffler shop replace one for 260$ and it droned a bit much for my taste.

I hope to install soon. BTW not to hijack the thread, But is ther supposed to be a factory crimp or depression about a foot from the tip. It seems like it would be a restriction? Or maybe it was dented under the truck. It looked more like it was stamped in, you can barely make it out in the photo just above the hanger.

Thanks,

Steve

post-64375-1269954623_thumb.jpg

Archived