Low Drone Or Drone Free 6.0 Muffler?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like i said in my last reply. I have the FLo Pro 2506. It installed great and pretty much meets your specs. I guess you will get lots of responses from people who are/were looking for different things. When I was looking for a system I contacted Flowmaster and talked to a tech and he said their system was very loud and required 2 resonators, in addition to their system, to make it bearable. He said it was something about the 6.0L that caused a lot of drone, under load.

As far as Magnaflow. It's a premium system that costs big bucks. When I was looking they didn't make one for my ext. cab long box. If i remember they made one for the 8.1, but not mine????. The stock pipes on our truck is semi stainless and seem to last. It's 3" from the collector to the muffler. I'm not sure any system can really improve on that, to increase exhaust flow.

I bought my muffler from exhaustwarehouse.com, with a stainless 3.5" tip, for around $200. The mechanic re-used my stock tailpipe and the muffler fit just perfect. The sound output is just as you are describing. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years now and it still seems to be in decent shape.

Try the biggest Flowmaster they offer. I had one (not the biggest) on my last 6.0 and hated the drone. However after some research, I found that I had the wrong one my truck. Flowmaster recomends the biggest muffler I think the 50 series HD. That's what I have on my current 5.3 and love it. If GM was to put dual exhaust on at the factory I think it would sound like my truck. Has no drone at any highway speed.

the flo pro 2505 and 2506 will fit right in the stock place. A friend of mine has the single magnaflow catback and he said it gets annoying after awhile. I the only way to go is corsa, which is big bucks, or the flo pro

mine is the cat-back system...dual 3 inch in single 4 inch out with a 5" tip...the muffler is the 22". it sounds amazing i dont have any sound clips although i should. i have had other guys ask me before too. i have a 7 month old daughter and she sleeps in the truck every time she's in it!!! so it cant be that bad! cuz shes a VERY light sleeper too...it does have drone but it aint that bad dude...people just hype on that all the time. you will never see me with a flowmaster again...they sound nice for the first year, then they get louder, louder and louder...thats if they dont rust into a million peices first...kinda famous for that. Corsa is nice but will burn a hole straight thru ur wallet...i tend to think its more of a Corvette kinda sound anyways...i like nice deep throaty sound...not too loud but loud enough people know you got exhaust. Magnaflow is perfect for that characteristic....ill try to get a clip tom man...

I'm not trying to bash magnaflow, they are a hreat system, I just hear they don't always play too well with 6.0, but everybody has a different idea of drone. When I think of drone i think of a deep bass booming when I'm crusing. Me personally I don't mind hearing a little growl

I'm not trying to bash magnaflow, they are a hreat system, I just hear they don't always play too well with 6.0, but everybody has a different idea of drone. When I think of drone i think of a deep bass booming when I'm crusing. Me personally I don't mind hearing a little growl

i think it sounds awesome, your like, me i like to hear it too :dunno:

I also have the 6.0 and I just added a Flowmaster 50 series SUV. I think it was 3.5 inch single in/out. I had them just replace the original and I added a tip. I went back and forth between the 50 and the 70 series. It sounds great, but at cracked pedal on the highway there is a little drone. You definitely hear it when you stomp it. There is a 50 series and a 50 series SUV. The SUV is thicker walled. There is also a 70 series which is quieter.

gmc011.jpg

Just curious here. Some guys are speaking of the single out exhaust mufflers and others are speaking of the pro flo 2504 ...3in dual in and 2.5 dual outlet muffler... I would think you would have two different sounds all together.. Also those that run duals out the muffler what size tail pipes you use. I have always understood that 2-1/4 inch tails on duel exhaust was about as big as you want to go on the 6.0 due to low end torque loss on the bigger pipes??? Just curious as to the results some of you are having is all.

Does anyone know what size the stock exhaust is on the GMT900 Trucks?

The reason I ask is that when I bought my truck (used) it had a Flowmaster cat-back on it and the "droning" in the cab was ridiculous, I couldn't stand it. As part of the terms of the sale, I had the dealer put a factory exhaust on the truck. the other day I was looking at my exhaust next to another truck that looked factory and it seemed like the tubing on my exhaust was a lot smaller than the other truck.

Now I am thinking they ripped me off by putting some POS they had laying around on my truck and it may be killing my gas mileage.

• 11 months later...

Well lets revive an old thread. im looking into the Magnaflow 12599 or the 12469. Which exhaust did you guys end up going with and are you happy with it? Any experience with one of these mufflers?

I went with flo pro 2505 and put it with the stock tail pipe. It was a little too quiet no drone though, I ended up taking off the tailpipe and dumping it at the muffler and it's pretty good just a little drone and I'm used to it. I think if I was gonna do it again I would get a borla xr-1. There's some guys over at FSC that have borlas and love them, there's actuly a whole thead about borlas

I am going to order the 12599 muffler and have it welded in. My trucks exhaust is dual 3" in and dual 3" out into a Y that turns to 3.5" from factory, is this the norm? I feel I should be happy with the result and I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Archived