Thinking Of Chipping? Read This!

Below is a cut and paste from the GM Techline. This has appeared there on other ocassions. The Tech is supposed to take a digital photo of the "setup" and email it to to GM. All driveline warranty is to be cancelled immediately.

"For more details, refer to bulletins 08-06-04-033 (Gasoline Engines) and 08-06-04-006A (Diesel Engines).

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non GM - aftermarket engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components, whenever the presence of a non-GM / aftermarket calibration is confirmed -- even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That's because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that are essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally; non-GM-issued aftermarket engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM-issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and / or penalties.

GM service bulletins 08-06-04-033 and 08-06-04-006 outline procedures to identify the presence of non-GM / aftermarket calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

In February 2009, PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM calibration is GM-issued. Beginning in February, PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in the bulletin, before authorizing any V8 engine replacement (both Gas and Diesel). (fig. 19)

If a non-GM calibration is detected by the dealership, follow the procedures outlined in the bulletin. Once documentation of the non-GM calibration has been received, and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and noted in VISS, and the dealership will receive the following notification:

Based on information that has been received, please inform the customer that the Powertrain portion of the New Vehicle Warranty is no longer in effect for the engine, transmission, driveline and rear axle on VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, due to the presence of non-GM calibrations and / or equipment. The stresses resulting from the non-GM calibrations and / or equipment were not validated by GM and therefore cannot be warranted on any components that are subject to those stresses. Repairs to powertrain or driveline components that may currently require repair should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. The warranty group has been advised of this information and VISS will be updated accordingly."

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually old news,and no....On-Star cannot tell if you have a tune,Now the dealership yes,by plugging in the Tech2 and reading the calibrations to see if they are GM issued (Just like the bulletin above mentions) However....there are still ways around this.

Would that stop me from getting a tune...HELL NO!

OnStar = Big brother is watching you.

I don't think you could disable OnStar during the warranty period. That in it's self would raise questions and void warranty I would think.

Na Nick,You can disable On-Star anytime without any issues,It would not void any warranty.

And actually unless you sign-up for the monthly diagnostics On-Star never communicates with your vehicle unless you call them.

However....there are still ways around this.

What are these ways you speak of oh wise GM parts guru? Please do tell.....Swap in the OE ECM everytime you go in to the dealer?

Thanks

Brian

However....there are still ways around this.

What are these ways you speak of oh wise GM parts guru? Please do tell.....Swap in the OE ECM everytime you go in to the dealer?

Thanks

Brian

Well....This might be one of those "If I told you,I'd have to kill you" things! :)

And I don't want to say anything to mislead anyone,as I'm no expert on this issue,Justin would certainly know helluva' lot more than me on this...he IS the expert!!

That being said.....Swapping modules is one way,But the tech can also put the stock tune back in and take a snapshot of that calibration.

If one was to swap in a factory ecm would the tech 2 ever be able to notice that a "tuned one was installed at one time"?

From what I know....No.

The risk over reward is not there for dealers to burn someones warranty for reasonable mods in my opinion. They get paid by GM for warranty work and they get paid by the customer for new car sales and non warranty service. A business savvy dealer would not be so quick to burn a bridge with a customer over a tune. Expecially when the many parts departments sells hand held tuners. These vehicles are not tuned even close to their max. They are tuned to meet government and epa standards. And GM knows it.

The problem whith diesel tuning is there does not seem to be many limits. A diesel can easily be tuned to the point of grenading powertrain components. And GM should not have to cover that under warrany. But tuning a gas engine usually yields an average 25-30 hp at best in most cases.

It takes common sense on everyones part.

• 4 months later...
This is actually old news,and no....On-Star cannot tell if you have a tune,Now the dealership yes,by plugging in the Tech2 and reading the calibrations to see if they are GM issued (Just like the bulletin above mentions) However....there are still ways around this.

Onstar can tell you if you are wearing your seatbelt or not.... would scare you to know what they can tell you.

Archived