What Do I Need To Look For In 80's Gmcs?

I'm looking at a 1984 GMC 2500 diesel. Never had a GMC before and wondering what their best known for positive and negative as far as anything that might be faulty or things that typically occur with the old pickups. Basically just looking for old GMC 101!

Thanks,

Cody

U-joints, pressure plate on the clutch, leaky brake calipers, dash cracks, worn upholstery, rusted floor boards..that's all I can think of now.

EDIT: Ah, exhaust leaks, corroded wiring

I've been through two '84s. Brakes/calipers, wheel bearings, steering box/shaft, u-joints, rusted exhaust for sure, brake lines definitely. Just anything that could rust or something that could fail due to old age or general wear and tear.

A buddy of mine has 2 ex military 80's Diesel's. One a CUC-V the other the Blazer verion. Both have the non turbo'd diesel and TH400. The blazer has decent gears in it and gets 20somthing MPG's. The other is insanly geared but still gets the same as my 00 Z71 but will only do 55MPH. The only downside is that they are pretty gutless. He has owned one for a year and the other for about 6 months and has had no problems with them thus far.

Archived