Limited Slip Gear Fluid What Type To Use

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. I have limited slip rear axle with 3.73 gears. I do tow a car and tailer every now and again but what weight should I use and any suggestions would be great. Mine is a litte low- I can just touch the fluid level at the very tip on my pinky when I stick it down there...and I shoved it down there. How much is too much? I was always told to fill it to the plug hole. Thanks

Rear Axle Lubricant Level Inspection (8.6 Inch Axle)

Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .

Make sure the vehicle is level.

Inspect the rear axle for leaks. Repair as necessary.

Clean the area around the rear axle fill plug.

Remove the rear axle fill plug.

Fabricate a dipstick from a pipe cleaner or similar item. Form the pipe cleaner into an "L".

Insert the pipe cleaner into the fill plug opening with the stem facing down.

Remove the pipe cleaner and measure the distance from the bend in the pipe cleaner to the lubricant level.

Specification

The distance between the bend and the lubricant level should be 15-40 mm (0.6-1.6 in).

If the measurement is greater than 40 mm (1.6 in), add lubricant until the level is between 15-40 mm (0.6-1.6 in) from the bottom edge of the fill plug hole. Use the proper fluid. Refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations .

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the rear axle fill plug.

Tighten

Tighten the rear axle fill plug to 33 N·m (24 lb ft).

Lower the vehicle.

Thank you. I think I might just top it off and there may be a fill level somewhere on the outside I will take a look. I might remember seeing that. Appreciate the help. I found the truck needs LS 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. LS stands for Limited Slip. Thanks again

Thanks for the tech info MS3DALE. It seems to be a little over 1.5" so I might add a tiny bit. I checked all of this due to a thud noise when I take off from stop. I could not find it so I checked for loose shocks, sway bar, steering parts etc. Thought it might be low on fluid and its really not. Not sure what that noise is but you can hear it if I give it a little too much gas off the line. If I am rolling already and give it gas...it does not make the noise...I will find it later. Thanks

If you have a stock G80, you have an Eaton locking diff. GM says not to use an additive in the Truck G80 as it will cause a delay in the locking mechanism and may cause damage.

GM has never put a limited slip in a truck with the exception of the quadrasteer, it had a G86 limited slip.

email from GM...

This is the email I got from GM Training on the question of it the rear diff on the Camaro is a locker since the RPO code is "G80" like the trucks G80 locker:

"Thank you for your question concerning the all new 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. You asked, “Is the limited slip differential a g80 locker? the rpo order code in autobook shows "g80" as the code for the limited slip rear differential.”

Although the order code is G80, the Camaro has a Limited Slip Differential. It is not a locking differential like those found on our trucks.

Thanks again for your inquiry. Good luck and good selling!

The Camaro Marketing Team

There you have it, right from the horses mouth!!!

If you put an aftermarket diff in. disregard......

Nobody has told him what gear oil to use?

Is Mobil-1 synthetic 75-90 gear oil ok to use?

I have used it for years in all my vehicles but I know times have changed.

Yes, GM has put synthetic gear oil in the truck diffs since 1998. Use 75W90 GF5 rated.

Thanks, looking to do mine soon as it is approaching 17,000km's.

May just go ahead and do the front diff as well as the transfer case(tranny fluid, if I'm not mistaken?) while I'm at it?

If you have a stock G80, you have an Eaton locking diff. GM says not to use an additive in the Truck G80 as it will cause a delay in the locking mechanism and may cause damage.

to buddy67...

read the post from Don (snakedoctor) again... if you use Limited slip gear oil in a G80 Eaton Locker (i.e., in a chevy/Gm truck) it will affect the locking mechanism and may cause damage...

This guy gave this to me...had

33 years with General Motors Product Service Engineering. A.S.E. Certified.

from GM

LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL LUBRICANT (SERVICE INFORMATION) #91-4-109

SUBJECT: LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL (G80) LUBRICANT - (SERVICE INFORMATION)

VEHICLES AFFECTED: ALL LIGHT TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH G80 REAR AXLE ALL YEARS

Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles (G80) may exhibit rear axle chatter, especially when turning a corner from a stop.

This condition of alternate engagement and disengagement of clutches in differential assembly is usually caused by contaminated axle lubricant.

To correct this condition, drain and refill the rear axle with SAE 75W-90 GL5 (P/N 12378261). The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.VEHICLES/COMPONENTS INVOLVED: ----------------------------- Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles, RPO G80.

SERVICE PARTS INFORMATION:

Part Number Description ----------- ------------------ 12678261 Lubricant, Rear Axle (1 litre)

Parts are currently available through CANSPO.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

As specified in Light Duty Truck Maintenance Schedules, locking rear axle fluid drain and refill is required owner maintenance at the first engine oil change. Failure to drain and refill the rear axle as specified may contribute to a later axle chatter condition. Refer to the appropriate Light Duty Truck Maintenance Schedule or service manual, section OB, for further details on change intervals.

General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

to buddy67...

read the post from Don (snakedoctor) again... if you use Limited slip gear oil in a G80 Eaton Loacker (i.e., in a chevy/Gm truck) it will affect the locking mechanism and may cause damage...

No,He'll be fine with the Mobil 1 LS Synthetic Gear Lubricant.....

Applications:

*Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 is recommended for use in modern high performance automobiles like SUV's, Vans and Light duty trucks requiring API GL-5 and MT-1 level performance

*Mobil 1 Synthetic gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 is intended for initial fill, topping-off or refilling differentials, final drives, transfer cases and other gear applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5 and multi-purpose or mild EP gear lubricants are recommended

*Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 can also be used in rear axles where API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended

*Not recommended for automatic, manual or semiautomatic transmissions for which engine oil or automatic transmission fluids are recommended

*Where extended service intervals and warranties are required

to buddy67...

read the post from Don (snakedoctor) again... if you use Limited slip gear oil in a G80 Eaton Loacker (i.e., in a chevy/Gm truck) it will affect the locking mechanism and may cause damage...

No,He'll be fine with the Mobil 1 LS Synthetic Gear Lubricant.....

Applications:

*Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 is recommended for use in modern high performance automobiles like SUV's, Vans and Light duty trucks requiring API GL-5 and MT-1 level performance

*Mobil 1 Synthetic gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 is intended for initial fill, topping-off or refilling differentials, final drives, transfer cases and other gear applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5 and multi-purpose or mild EP gear lubricants are recommended

*Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 can also be used in rear axles where API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended

*Not recommended for automatic, manual or semiautomatic transmissions for which engine oil or automatic transmission fluids are recommended

*Where extended service intervals and warranties are required

Thanks again Dale. Its just for topping off purposes

Archived