Battery Problems ?

just bought a 2007 yukon xl 2 weeks ago, after sitting for 3 days i get in and the battery is shot. take it to local battery shop and the guy puts it on charge and says its taking the charge. been looking around and i see these models have a battery drain problem. anyone know anything about this? thanks

Anytime you have a computer controlled vehicle that sits regularly and is used infrequently, you have to add a trickle charger to it because all newer vehicles have a parasitic draw from the battery from the computer. There may be a parasitic draw other than the normal computer draw. To find that parasitic draw, attach a voltmeter in line on the negative side of the battery between the cable and the negative post. The excessive draw will show up on the meter. Start pulling fuses until the meter clears. That's the open draw to your circuit. It could be an open electric seat motor or power window motor unheard running.

On all my vehicles not driven for two weeks or more, I put a Battery Tender on them. Otherwise, the battery will be dead in short order. It's possible you have a faulty battery. You should load test it. If the charging circuit is working correctly as you say and the battery is fresh and the vehicle is driven regularly, you will not have a problem.

zoz

Anytime you have a computer controlled vehicle that sits regularly and is used infrequently, you have to add a trickle charger to it because all newer vehicles have a parasitic draw from the battery from the computer. There may be a parasitic draw other than the normal computer draw. To find that parasitic draw, attach a voltmeter in line on the negative side of the battery between the cable and the negative post. The excessive draw will show up on the meter. Start pulling fuses until the meter clears. That's the open draw to your circuit. It could be an open electric seat motor or power window motor unheard running.

On all my vehicles not driven for two weeks or more, I put a Battery Tender on them. Otherwise, the battery will be dead in short order. It's possible you have a faulty battery. You should load test it. If the charging circuit is working correctly as you say and the battery is fresh and the vehicle is driven regularly, you will not have a problem.

zoz

if i do have to replace the battery, what would be a good battery to buy? ac delco is the battery im jacking with now

I'm not impressed with the newer AC Delco batteries. My '00 had the same battery for 8 years until I sold the truck. My '08 GMC had the same battery for 2 years and it started running dead. Takes a charge, load tests fine, if I park the truck for a week or two, it barely turns over.

I replaced mine with the red top optima, and it's been perfect every since.

It seems to me like they just don't make batteries like they used to period, anymore.

Technology has come a looooong way..but maybe you are right. I was in Fountain Colorado, right out side of Colorado Springs the winter of 1968. I had a 1957 Pontiac with a Sears die hard in it. It was 20 below and falling. Not only did that battery start my car it boosted off half the cars in the trailer park and never slowed down. And I think I had straight 30 weight oil in the Pontiac. A no no for Colorado winters.

I loaned it to a guy whose car wouldn't start once...he cranked on it for 20 min and never made a dent in that old die hard...

I have always considered that buying a battery is kind of a crap shoot ... how do you really know what you are getting...???

The last couple of batteries that I have had to buy were ACDelco with 6yr warranty ... they each lasted 5 or 6 years with no problems until I sold the vehicles .... this was the battery my mechanic always put in at his shop ...

My truck currently has a Canadian Tire store brand (it was there when I bought the truck used 2 years ago) ... in our cold winter weather a decent battery might last 6 or 7 years, but not much more....

Buy the highest Cold Crank Amps (CCA) that you can find to fit in your vehicle and check for a decent full replacement or pro-rated warranty .... as Don said above, a Sears Die-Hard used to be an excellent battery, but I don't think that brand name actually matters any more on these things... they build them all just as inexpensive as they can get away with.

I have always considered that buying a battery is kind of a crap shoot ... how do you really know what you are getting...???

The last couple of batteries that I have had to buy were ACDelco with 6yr warranty ... they each lasted 5 or 6 years with no problems until I sold the vehicles .... this was the battery my mechanic always put in at his shop ...

My truck currently has a Canadian Tire store brand (it was there when I bought the truck used 2 years ago) ... in our cold winter weather a decent battery might last 6 or 7 years, but not much more....

Buy the highest Cold Crank Amps (CCA) that you can find to fit in your vehicle and check for a decent full replacement or pro-rated warranty .... as Don said above, a Sears Die-Hard used to be an excellent battery, but I don't think that brand name actually matters any more on these things... they build them all just as inexpensive as they can get away with.

just read about a tsb on this model, said something about the computer not turning off when the car is turned off,therefore draining the battery. anyone ever heard of this?

Possible TSBs but I don't have a link to them...

TSB 09-08-44-001: Intermittent Dead Battery (Reprogram Radio), February 03, 2009

TSB 06-06-03-013C: Intermittent Low Battery Voltage, Engine Will Not Crank … (Reprogram BCM), July 14, 2008

anyone have a link to these tsb's ?

Only thing so far...

Battery Goes Dead At Times - keywords charge charging crank current dead drain draw excessive inop inoperative int intermittent lo low load no nostart nocrank parasitic start voltage - (Feb 26, 2009)

Subject: Battery Goes Dead At Times

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this bulletin.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may state that the battery goes dead at times. The concern is very random and doesn't seem to have a set pattern. When the vehicle returns to the shop, the technician may be unable to duplicate the concern.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: Only apply the information to 2007 model year vehicles. A separate PI (Preliminary Investigation) has been created for the 08-09 model year

If you experience a vehicle that has an intermittent battery draw, please follow the instructions below and then review the template below that lists all related PI's and Bulletins. If it becomes necessary to contact Technical Assistance, please record the results for all the PI's and Bulletins that apply to your vehicle prior to calling.

When vehicle is towed into the shop, please record the static voltage of the battery by using a DVOM at the battery posts before charging the battery or performing any diagnostics.

Perform a parasitic load test as listed in SI (See Example Document Id: 1741191)

Perform and record the results for all PI's and bulletins that apply to your vehicle in the following template.

Bulletin or PI number

Description

08-06-03-008.

Information on Intermittent Battery Drain Diagnostic Tips and Recommendations

06-06-03-013C

BCM Update for RVC

PIT4613A

Check Mega Fuse

PIT4050E Ckts (6815 or 6817) Shorted or the ISLPS/IS Lamps fuse may blow

PIT3984A Rear Doors Will Not Unlock / Battery Draw

AIT3236 Battery Cables

07033B Battery Rundown

07007C Remote Keyless Entry Inoperative & Battery Rundown

PIT3385E Roof Beacon Switch Left On Causing Battery Draw

06-06-03-011B Hum or Buzz Noise From Rear of Vehicle and/or Possible Dead Battery (Check Fuel Pump Relay)

07-06-03-002B Information on Inspecting Top Post Battery Cable Bolts, Clamps, and Nuts During Pre Delivery Inspection

PIT4412A Vehicle Will Not Crank / Start At Times/ Aftermarket theft relay

09-08-44-001 US8/US9 Radio

PIT3971A Multiple Electrical Concerns due to wiring in B pillar

06-08-44-032B Rear DVD Screen Blank/Inoperative, Speaker Pop Noise, Battery DrawNav Screen Flashing,

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Archived